Re: Sherman Family - Paint Rock, AL

  • ondecktm
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
      Thank you for your help. I will look at these closer and see how they
      may fit. It's difficult to know how the pieces fit together.
      A cousin has a note from Great Grandmother Sherman that
      stated "Joseph Franklin Sherman was born 22 Apr 1836 in Nashville,
      Davidson County,TN, died 20 Feb 1899." I can only assume he died in
      Paint Rock. The family relocated to Arkansas in 1900 and his wife
      Nancy was listed as a widow in the AR 1900 census.

      I also wanted to ask the group, Are there any records that may have
      survived in Paint Rock? The Sherman family lived there for over 20
      years and it was a large family. I wonder if there are records for
      Joseph Franklin Sherman (Frank?) such as voters lists, school
      records, bank records, payroll records, anything to answer questions
      about the kind of a man he was, what he did for a living, what crops
      he grew, if he went to church, where he may be buried etc.

      Thank you, Tena

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt
      <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

      > Tena
      >
      > The only thing that I have found before 1870 is a military record
      that may be him.

      > Franklin Sherman Co. B, 8 Cavalry Regiment TN
      > Enlisted as PVT do date given Age 20 no date given
      > Mustered 28 Feb 1864
      >
      > This was a Union Regiment and looks like it was mostly from east TN
      but had members from all over TN.

      > There may be records of his service at NARA. The only compiled
      service records I have access to are for the Confederates.

      > The only census record that comes close is this.
      >
      > 1850 Dist. 4 Madison Co. TN
      > Jo. Sherman 60 Farmer no birth place give
      > Richard 18 TN
      > David 16 TN
      > Nancy 13 TN
      > Joseph 9 TN.
      >
      > Unless I have an accurate birth date record I give plus or minus 5
      years on the census because you do not know who is answering the
      enumerator's questions. It may have been Joseph Franklin's father who
      was from England since on both the 1870 and 1880 they gave TN as
      birth place.