Re: [jacksongenealogy] Sherman Family - Paint Rock, AL

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
      Tena

      The only thing that I have found before 1870 is a military record that may be him.

      Franklin Sherman Co. B, 8 Cavalry Regiment TN
      Enlisted as PVT do date given Age 20 no date given
      Mustered 28 Feb 1864

      This was a Union Regiment and looks like it was mostly from east TN but had members from all over TN.

      There may be records of his service at NARA. The only compiled service records I have access to are for the Confederates.

      The only census record that comes close is this.

      1850 Dist. 4 Madison Co. TN
      Jo. Sherman 60 Farmer no birth place give
      Richard 18 TN
      David 16 TN
      Nancy 13 TN
      Joseph 9 TN.

      Unless I have an accurate birth date record I give plus or minus 5 years on the census because you do not know who is answering the enumerator's questions. It may have been Joseph Franklin's father who was from England since on both the 1870 and 1880 they gave TN as birth place.

      Clay

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
        Thank you for your help. I will look at these closer and see how they
        may fit. It's difficult to know how the pieces fit together.
        A cousin has a note from Great Grandmother Sherman that
        stated "Joseph Franklin Sherman was born 22 Apr 1836 in Nashville,
        Davidson County,TN, died 20 Feb 1899." I can only assume he died in
        Paint Rock. The family relocated to Arkansas in 1900 and his wife
        Nancy was listed as a widow in the AR 1900 census.

        I also wanted to ask the group, Are there any records that may have
        survived in Paint Rock? The Sherman family lived there for over 20
        years and it was a large family. I wonder if there are records for
        Joseph Franklin Sherman (Frank?) such as voters lists, school
        records, bank records, payroll records, anything to answer questions
        about the kind of a man he was, what he did for a living, what crops
        he grew, if he went to church, where he may be buried etc.

        Thank you, Tena

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt