Sherman Family - Paint Rock, AL

  • ondecktm
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
      I was wondering if I could ask a question regarding my relatives from
      Paint Rock. This question is very important to me as it is the
      primary dead end I have been working on for years.

      I am unable to determine what happened to my Great-Grandfather,
      Joseph Franklin Sherman. I am unable to find where he came from
      before 1870 and where he went to after 1880. I find him on the 1870
      and 1880 census in Paint Rock but he disappeared from all records
      after that. His wife Nancy shows up in 1900 in Arkansas as a widow
      along with all the kids.

      I am not sure where he is buried and he leaves no trace I can find,
      no military records, no birth records, no death records. There is no
      family history on him, just an old photo of him in front of the cabin
      in Paint Rock with all his kids and his wife. Grandmother said she
      heard Grandpa say he was "an old Englishman". ..not much to go on
      though. Other than the two census records(1870/1880)and an old torn
      photo, there is no firm documentation about his life.

      Joseph Franklin Sherman was born 22 Apr 1836 in Nashville , Davidson
      County , TN , and died 20 Feb 1899. (no source for this, just a
      family rumor) He married Nancy Anne Sanders in 1869, daughter of
      William Sanders and Lucinda Cope. She was born 22 May 1849 in Mt.
      Eagle , Pelham, Grundy County , Tennessee . (as per Grandmother
      Sherman)

      The 1870 census said they lived at:
      Township 2 Range 1, Madison , Alabama

      The 1880 census they lived at:
      Fractional T3-R3, Jackson County , AL .

      Their children were:
      Elizabeth Sherman b. Oct 1870, Madison County , Alabama .
      Dock Sherman , b. 07 Dec 1872, Madison County , Alabama
      Idella Della Sherman, b. 1874, Alabama
      Joe/Joseph Sherman , b. 22 Mar 1876, Alabama .
      Julie/July Sherman , b. 1876, Alabama
      Edmond/Ed Sherman , b. 1878, Alabama .
      John Henry Sherman, b. 17 Dec 1878 Alabama (My grandfather)
      Grover Cleveland Sherman b. 22 May 1885, Alabama .
      Charles/Charlie Sherman , b. 1889, Alabama .
      James Monroe Sherman , b. 22 May 1889
      Mollie Sherman b. Bet. 1890 - 1892
      Norma Sherman (not verified)
      Fannie Sherman (not verified)
      Viola Sherman (not verified)

      Any assistance or tips of where to look are greatly appreciated, or
      if not possible, could you advise me where to forward the question? I
      have posted this question to several groups in past years but all
      remain quiet on the Sherman family…

      I know this is casting a wide net, but any info on any of the other
      family members living in Paint Rock is appreciated as well. Many
      thanks in advance.
      Sincerely, Tena
    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
        Tena

        The only thing that I have found before 1870 is a military record that may be him.

        Franklin Sherman Co. B, 8 Cavalry Regiment TN
        Enlisted as PVT do date given Age 20 no date given
        Mustered 28 Feb 1864

        This was a Union Regiment and looks like it was mostly from east TN but had members from all over TN.

        There may be records of his service at NARA. The only compiled service records I have access to are for the Confederates.

        The only census record that comes close is this.

        1850 Dist. 4 Madison Co. TN
        Jo. Sherman 60 Farmer no birth place give
        Richard 18 TN
        David 16 TN
        Nancy 13 TN
        Joseph 9 TN.

        Unless I have an accurate birth date record I give plus or minus 5 years on the census because you do not know who is answering the enumerator's questions. It may have been Joseph Franklin's father who was from England since on both the 1870 and 1880 they gave TN as birth place.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2009
          Thank you for your help. I will look at these closer and see how they
          may fit. It's difficult to know how the pieces fit together.
          A cousin has a note from Great Grandmother Sherman that
          stated "Joseph Franklin Sherman was born 22 Apr 1836 in Nashville,
          Davidson County,TN, died 20 Feb 1899." I can only assume he died in
          Paint Rock. The family relocated to Arkansas in 1900 and his wife
          Nancy was listed as a widow in the AR 1900 census.

          I also wanted to ask the group, Are there any records that may have
          survived in Paint Rock? The Sherman family lived there for over 20
          years and it was a large family. I wonder if there are records for
          Joseph Franklin Sherman (Frank?) such as voters lists, school
          records, bank records, payroll records, anything to answer questions
          about the kind of a man he was, what he did for a living, what crops
          he grew, if he went to church, where he may be buried etc.

          Thank you, Tena

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt