Re: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 315 /Blocking Virus Sender On This List

  • sromanek
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2001
      I have had someone tell me that who we might need to contact to get this person blocked from the list is Richard Matthews. Anyone got any idea how to contact him if he is the owner, or moderator of the group? I went into my settings with Outlook Express and blocked the person who was sending them so I no longer get messages from them. I think with AOL you can do that too Maybe that will help in the mean time until we can get in touch with the moderator to get them blocked from the list. Thanks to those of you who have responded to me on this. I appreciate it. I was beginning to wonder for a while if I was the only one getting them until I went into the message board on line and saw that the whole list is getting them. Wonder how many have had trouble because of this. It is a shame someone is doing this.

                                                                                                      Sharon Dover Romanek
      Fax: 603-250-0747
      e-mail: PRIMARY sromanek@...
                                 sromanek@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 6, 2001
        Be sure to check with a reputable virus firm such as Symantec before
        spreading info about what you think is a virus. In the office, I probably
        get one or two “warnings” a week on fictitious viruses. I’ve yet to get a
        warning that is real. The fact is that your ISP, and yahoo and others are
        constantly checking e-mails for viruses. They would probably know about them
        before any user. In any event use a good virus program and keep it up to
        date. Following is info on the sulfnbk.exe “virus”.

        http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html

        e-mail: PRIMARY sromanek@... <mailto:sromanek@...>
        sromanek@...
        <mailto:sromanek@...>

        Researching: Dover,Shrader, Tyner, Johnston, Williams, Edge, Smith, Kirksey,
        DeMers, Murphy, Allen
        I agree with you, Sharon, I too have received these continued messages, but
        I do not open ANY attachments that I get from the lists. I hope everyone on
        the list does the same - why should you receive an attachment from a message
        board anyway.

        The list manager should find out who this person is or REMOVE him from the
        list so we can stop sending virus to the geneology community.

        Jimmie Ryan
        Brashear/Loveless
        Jackson Co.

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        Atlantis is Coming!
        Atlantis is Coming!
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=201601.1431931.3034875.1296075/D=egroupmail/S=1700040
        837:N/A=680824/?http://www.disney.com/atlantis>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • DrKirby25@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 6, 2001
          The SULFNBK Virus is a Hoax How many more emails will the room receive
          before we get back to geneaology,? Richard asked us to restrict our emails
          to Geneaology. I know I am breaking that request but, when is enough enough?
          Jim
        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 8, 2001
            Thanks Jim, yes please take the virus discussion offline by using direct email. I know eveyone gets excited when a virus is mentioned but in an earlier email I posted that attachments are now blocked on this list and the offending member can no longer submit posts.

            If anyone would like to discuss this in more detail please write me direct at prm@....

            Please use the list for Jackson County genealogy post only.

            Thank You and happy hunting.

            Richard