Cherokee Removal List

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2008
      Annette

      Go to the Group Home Website, under Links click on Jackson County Links, misc pages about Jackson CO. AL. The 1819 White Settlers on Cherokee land is the first link, further down the page is Settlers and Intruders on Cherokee Indian Lands 1801-1816. Included in the lists are settlers in both in TN and AL. These lists are by no means complete. If you did not want to be found you more than likely weren't.

      Jackson Co. was created 13 Dec 1819. Google History of Jackson County Alabama by Robert Kennamer it is on line you can read about early settlers who are not on the lists.

      It would have been hard for John Gullatt to accumlate all that was listed on his estate inventory dtd 1824 in just 4 1/2 years. He either brought it with him from GA or was in Jackson Co by at least 1816/17. In Lincoln Co. GA he owned 210 acres plus slaves and his wife Manerva Catherine Mitchell was from wealthy VA families, the Wigginton/Botts families.

      Paint Rock Valley and the coves had white settlers by 1814.

    • Roy Chadwick
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        Hi Clay,
          Great info. I believe that my GGGfather Thomas Langford/Lankford was in Jackson abt 1811/12,and had lived in Madison Co AL as of 1809/10,and may have been in Marion Co TN abt 1812/13,later Warren/Grundy Co's of TN.

        Researching families, Bond,Bost,Chadwick,Choate,Coffelt,Goodhartd,Hodgin/Hodgins,
        Keel/Keele,Moreland,Langford/Lankford,Richmond,Seitz/Sitz/Sides,Vaughan/Vaughn,
        Wilson.

        Some connected families, Poe,Tate,Evans,Thompson,McCorkle,King,Dugan,Meeks,
        Dykes,Street,Lawson,and many other from Grundy,Marion,Warren co's TN,and Deklab,
        Etowah Co's of TN.

        Roy.

[...]

        Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox

      • Karen Gipson
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
          Roy,

          I have info on Keel from Jackson County. You can email me direct at gipsonkm@knology,net and I would be glad to share what have. My greatgrandmother was Irene Keel.

          Karen Moss Gipson

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
            Hi!

            Is your Irene Keel the same Irene Keel that married Matthew
            Bracewell? I have a Keel family that originated in Georgia (Laurens
            Cnty), moved to Jackson County, AL, then on to Pope County, IL with
            the Bracewells, Halls, and Dents. Matthew and Irene were married in
            Laurens, GA.

            Robert Schneider

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Gipson"