Can anyone explain why and when Frazier Cemetery was moved?

  • nettiebau1952
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2008
      I have T.S. Kirby's obituary that says he was buried in the Frazier
      Cemetery in 1943. Yet now he is buried in Cedar Hill. I had always
      assumed this cemetery was moved in the 1930s to make way for TVA to
      create Guntersville Lake. But of course, the floodgates were closed in
      1934, I think. I had at one time assumed that the reported death date
      for TS Kirby was wrong because of this.

      So...Frazier Cemetery was NOT moved in the TVA timeframe. Does anyone
      know when and why it was subsequently moved?

      Annette Bradford
    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 29, 2008
        Annette,
        A cemetery was moved off of Goosepond island in the middle 60's to make way
        for Revere Copper and Brass plant construction. This move included the grave
        of Thomas Kirby. A listing of the ones moved can be found at
        http://files.usgwarchives.org/al/jackson/cemeteries/cedarhill4.txt

        --
        Richard Matthews