Cemeteries on Alabama Historic Registers of Cemeteries v historic cemeteries

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

      The only cemetery in Jackson County that is on� the Alabama �Historic Register� of Cemeteries is Old Bellefonte Cemetery due to the hard work of Ann Chambless. I think when people speak of a historic cemetery they only mean that it is old.

      If you would like to get Old Baptist placed on the Alabama Historic Register you can contact Ann to see just what she had to do to get Old Bellefonte on the Historic Register but from what she has posted it was not an easy task.

      Also the Jackson County Sheriff has provided labor to help get Old Bellefonte cleaned up he might be willing to do so for other old cemeteries.

      The state laws differ as to how old cemeteries are to be treated but I do not believe that any state allows the destruction or removal of old cemeteries with out going through some process.

      Clay

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
        It is my understanding that the law covers any Alabama cemetery that is 75
        years or older, whether they are registered or not. I'm sure the law is well
        intended and not designed to hassle those who work hard to keep up old
        cemeteries
        Richard

        --
        Richard Matthews