Re: Cooley Cemetery

  • frances_lambert2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
      Sam a TIP COOLEY Patent the Land in 1896. W.A. White had land in
      section 27 patent date
      Frances

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sammc1973@...> wrote:

      > These are the only markers in the Cooley cemetery with names. I
      collected this information a couple of years ago. I don't know why
      it is called "Cooley" cemetery. I suppose a lot of the rock markers
      belong to some Cooley family.
      > Sam
      >

      > COOLEY CEMETERY
      >
      > LOCATED :jACKSON CO AL- GOING NORTH ON AL HWY 73 GO PAST MASONIC
      LODGE, TURN LEFT ON CO RD 318 GO ABOUT 1 MILE TURN RIGH IN A BIG
      CURVE, (SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT HERE) GO ABOUT ONE AND ONE HALF
      MILES, CEMETERY ON LEFT IN A CLUMP OF TREES. (ON A SLIGHT HILL) THIS
      CEMETERY HAS BEEN NEGLECTED, BUT APPEARS SOMEONE IS TRYING TO CLEAR
      IT.

      > ONLY 3 STONES THAT I COULD FIND, AND A LOT OF ROCK MARKERS
      >
      > NANCY THOMAS
      > WIFE OF R. HOLCOMB
      > DIED 1895
      >
      > W.A. WHITE
      > CO. H
      > 2 SC RIFLES
      > C.S.A
      >
      > HATTIE WHITE COOLEY
      > 11-25-1870
      > 3-10-1895
      >
      > NOVELLA GILLEY
      > B. SEPT 23, 1932
      > D. OCT. 7, 1932
      > DAU OF GORDON BASCOM MCDONALD AND EMMA MYRTLE MILES MCDONALD

    • Regina Pipes
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
        Richard,

        As usual our laws are somewhat difficult to understand. I work on The Old
        Baptist Cemetery at Hollywood quiet often as I have many family and friends
        buried there and this cemetery is over a 100 years old. As far as I know it
        has never been declared a Historical Cemetery. If it weren�t for people
        cleaning their graves and taking it upon themselves to clean a few others
        many cemeteries would go in disrepair. I know that the PRICE Cemetery at
        Mud Creek and The GOLD Cemetery and The GENTLE Cemetery at Skyline also fall
        into this same category. Is this law just saying that a cemetery once
        declared a historical cemetery falls under these laws or is it saying any
        cemetery that is at 100 plus?

        Thanks Richard for everything you are able to inform us about. Still love
        your video�s on myspace.

        Regina

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

          The only cemetery in Jackson County that is on� the Alabama �Historic Register� of Cemeteries is Old Bellefonte Cemetery due to the hard work of Ann Chambless. I think when people speak of a historic cemetery they only mean that it is old.

          If you would like to get Old Baptist placed on the Alabama Historic Register you can contact Ann to see just what she had to do to get Old Bellefonte on the Historic Register but from what she has posted it was not an easy task.

          Also the Jackson County Sheriff has provided labor to help get Old Bellefonte cleaned up he might be willing to do so for other old cemeteries.

          The state laws differ as to how old cemeteries are to be treated but I do not believe that any state allows the destruction or removal of old cemeteries with out going through some process.

          Clay

          wrote:

          > Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
          > cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
          > only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

          9:31 AM

        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
            It is my understanding that the law covers any Alabama cemetery that is 75
            years or older, whether they are registered or not. I'm sure the law is well
            intended and not designed to hassle those who work hard to keep up old
            cemeteries
            Richard

            --
            Richard Matthews