RE: [jacksongenealogy] Cooley Cemetery

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      You can reach the Cooley Cemetery by turning by the side of North Sand Mountain School on Co Rd 318, this road makes a circle behind the school and comes out in front of the Masonic Lodge.  It might be easier for you to go to the Masonic Lodge to turn onto 318.  About a mile down the road you turn right onto ??? (dont know the road name or #) but the turnoff is in a big curve and there has been a lot of houses built back in there.  You go around this road for about 2 miles and the cemetery is on the left of the road, on a hill.  It would be hard to find if you have never been there.  There is no sign.
      All this land has been mined for coal.  I can   go up there and make sure of the road # and give you more accurate directions if you would like.
      Sam

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
        These are the only markers in the Cooley cemetery with names. I collected this information a couple of years ago. I don't know why it is called "Cooley" cemetery. I suppose a lot of the rock markers belong to some Cooley family.
        Sam

        COOLEY CEMETERY

        LOCATED :jACKSON CO AL- GOING NORTH ON AL HWY 73 GO PAST MASONIC LODGE, TURN LEFT ON CO RD 318 GO ABOUT 1 MILE TURN RIGH IN A BIG CURVE, (SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT HERE) GO ABOUT ONE AND ONE HALF MILES, CEMETERY ON LEFT IN A CLUMP OF TREES. (ON A SLIGHT HILL) THIS CEMETERY HAS BEEN NEGLECTED, BUT APPEARS SOMEONE IS TRYING TO CLEAR IT.

        ONLY 3 STONES THAT I COULD FIND, AND A LOT OF ROCK MARKERS

        NANCY THOMAS
        WIFE OF R. HOLCOMB
        DIED 1895

        W.A. WHITE
        CO. H
        2 SC RIFLES
        C.S.A

        HATTIE WHITE COOLEY
        11-25-1870
        3-10-1895

        NOVELLA GILLEY
        B. SEPT 23, 1932
        D. OCT. 7, 1932
        DAU OF GORDON BASCOM MCDONALD AND EMMA MYRTLE MILES MCDONALD
      • frances_lambert2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
          Sam a TIP COOLEY Patent the Land in 1896. W.A. White had land in
          section 27 patent date
          Frances

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sammc1973@...> wrote:

          > These are the only markers in the Cooley cemetery with names. I
          collected this information a couple of years ago. I don't know why
          it is called "Cooley" cemetery. I suppose a lot of the rock markers
          belong to some Cooley family.
          > Sam
          >

          > COOLEY CEMETERY
          >
          > LOCATED :jACKSON CO AL- GOING NORTH ON AL HWY 73 GO PAST MASONIC
          LODGE, TURN LEFT ON CO RD 318 GO ABOUT 1 MILE TURN RIGH IN A BIG
          CURVE, (SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT HERE) GO ABOUT ONE AND ONE HALF
          MILES, CEMETERY ON LEFT IN A CLUMP OF TREES. (ON A SLIGHT HILL) THIS
          CEMETERY HAS BEEN NEGLECTED, BUT APPEARS SOMEONE IS TRYING TO CLEAR
          IT.

          > ONLY 3 STONES THAT I COULD FIND, AND A LOT OF ROCK MARKERS
          >
          > NANCY THOMAS
          > WIFE OF R. HOLCOMB
          > DIED 1895
          >
          > W.A. WHITE
          > CO. H
          > 2 SC RIFLES
          > C.S.A
          >
          > HATTIE WHITE COOLEY
          > 11-25-1870
          > 3-10-1895
          >
          > NOVELLA GILLEY
          > B. SEPT 23, 1932
          > D. OCT. 7, 1932
          > DAU OF GORDON BASCOM MCDONALD AND EMMA MYRTLE MILES MCDONALD

        • Regina Pipes
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
            Richard,

            As usual our laws are somewhat difficult to understand. I work on The Old
            Baptist Cemetery at Hollywood quiet often as I have many family and friends
            buried there and this cemetery is over a 100 years old. As far as I know it
            has never been declared a Historical Cemetery. If it weren�t for people
            cleaning their graves and taking it upon themselves to clean a few others
            many cemeteries would go in disrepair. I know that the PRICE Cemetery at
            Mud Creek and The GOLD Cemetery and The GENTLE Cemetery at Skyline also fall
            into this same category. Is this law just saying that a cemetery once
            declared a historical cemetery falls under these laws or is it saying any
            cemetery that is at 100 plus?

            Thanks Richard for everything you are able to inform us about. Still love
            your video�s on myspace.

            Regina

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

              The only cemetery in Jackson County that is on� the Alabama �Historic Register� of Cemeteries is Old Bellefonte Cemetery due to the hard work of Ann Chambless. I think when people speak of a historic cemetery they only mean that it is old.

              If you would like to get Old Baptist placed on the Alabama Historic Register you can contact Ann to see just what she had to do to get Old Bellefonte on the Historic Register but from what she has posted it was not an easy task.

              Also the Jackson County Sheriff has provided labor to help get Old Bellefonte cleaned up he might be willing to do so for other old cemeteries.

              The state laws differ as to how old cemeteries are to be treated but I do not believe that any state allows the destruction or removal of old cemeteries with out going through some process.

              Clay

              wrote:

              > Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
              > cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
              > only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

              9:31 AM

            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                It is my understanding that the law covers any Alabama cemetery that is 75
                years or older, whether they are registered or not. I'm sure the law is well
                intended and not designed to hassle those who work hard to keep up old
                cemeteries
                Richard

                --
                Richard Matthews