Re: Cooley Cemetery

  • frances_lambert2000
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
      Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
      cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
      only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Regina Pipes" <rgpipes@...>
      wrote:

      > Has this cemetery been logged? My grandparents were James William
      and Annie
      > COOLEY. They came to Alabama from Tennessee but may have been here
      before
      > they went back to Tennessee. I know a lot of the COOLEY family
      worked in
      > the coal mines. Can you tell me where it is exactly?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Regina

    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
        Recent posts reminded me that there are Alabama state laws regarding work in
        historic cemeteries. Anyone considering such projects should be aware of
        these requirements. We do need more such projects in our county. thanks to
        all of those who do such fine work.

        AHC - Cemetery Permits: Alabama law (Sections 13A-7-23.1(d) and 41-9-242
        through -249) requires that any work to be done on an historic cemetery (a
        cemetery that is 75 years old or older) must be approved in writing by the
        Alabama Historical Commission by their issuance of a permit. This paper
        describes the various types of permits that may be issued and what steps
        must be taken to apply for a cemetery work permit. Note: A cemetery must be
        forty years old or older to be listed on the AHC's Alabama Historic Cemetery
        Register Program but must be 75 years old or older before permits are
        required for cemetery maintenance, restoration, preservation, and associated
        efforts. Also please note that while the AHC's Alabama Historic Cemetery
        Register Program has been established to register cemeteries 40 years old or
        older, the ACPA seeks to register all cemeteries within Alabama regardless
        of age and that these are two separate and distinct cemetery registry
        programs.

        On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:39 AM, frances_lambert2000 <
        frances_lambert2000@...> wrote:

        > Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
        > cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
        > only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

      • Sam
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
          You can reach the Cooley Cemetery by turning by the side of North Sand Mountain School on Co Rd 318, this road makes a circle behind the school and comes out in front of the Masonic Lodge.  It might be easier for you to go to the Masonic Lodge to turn onto 318.  About a mile down the road you turn right onto ??? (dont know the road name or #) but the turnoff is in a big curve and there has been a lot of houses built back in there.  You go around this road for about 2 miles and the cemetery is on the left of the road, on a hill.  It would be hard to find if you have never been there.  There is no sign.
          All this land has been mined for coal.  I can   go up there and make sure of the road # and give you more accurate directions if you would like.
          Sam

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
            These are the only markers in the Cooley cemetery with names. I collected this information a couple of years ago. I don't know why it is called "Cooley" cemetery. I suppose a lot of the rock markers belong to some Cooley family.
            Sam

            COOLEY CEMETERY

            LOCATED :jACKSON CO AL- GOING NORTH ON AL HWY 73 GO PAST MASONIC LODGE, TURN LEFT ON CO RD 318 GO ABOUT 1 MILE TURN RIGH IN A BIG CURVE, (SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT HERE) GO ABOUT ONE AND ONE HALF MILES, CEMETERY ON LEFT IN A CLUMP OF TREES. (ON A SLIGHT HILL) THIS CEMETERY HAS BEEN NEGLECTED, BUT APPEARS SOMEONE IS TRYING TO CLEAR IT.

            ONLY 3 STONES THAT I COULD FIND, AND A LOT OF ROCK MARKERS

            NANCY THOMAS
            WIFE OF R. HOLCOMB
            DIED 1895

            W.A. WHITE
            CO. H
            2 SC RIFLES
            C.S.A

            HATTIE WHITE COOLEY
            11-25-1870
            3-10-1895

            NOVELLA GILLEY
            B. SEPT 23, 1932
            D. OCT. 7, 1932
            DAU OF GORDON BASCOM MCDONALD AND EMMA MYRTLE MILES MCDONALD
          • frances_lambert2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
              Sam a TIP COOLEY Patent the Land in 1896. W.A. White had land in
              section 27 patent date
              Frances

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Sam <sammc1973@...> wrote:

              > These are the only markers in the Cooley cemetery with names. I
              collected this information a couple of years ago. I don't know why
              it is called "Cooley" cemetery. I suppose a lot of the rock markers
              belong to some Cooley family.
              > Sam
              >

              > COOLEY CEMETERY
              >
              > LOCATED :jACKSON CO AL- GOING NORTH ON AL HWY 73 GO PAST MASONIC
              LODGE, TURN LEFT ON CO RD 318 GO ABOUT 1 MILE TURN RIGH IN A BIG
              CURVE, (SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT HERE) GO ABOUT ONE AND ONE HALF
              MILES, CEMETERY ON LEFT IN A CLUMP OF TREES. (ON A SLIGHT HILL) THIS
              CEMETERY HAS BEEN NEGLECTED, BUT APPEARS SOMEONE IS TRYING TO CLEAR
              IT.

              > ONLY 3 STONES THAT I COULD FIND, AND A LOT OF ROCK MARKERS
              >
              > NANCY THOMAS
              > WIFE OF R. HOLCOMB
              > DIED 1895
              >
              > W.A. WHITE
              > CO. H
              > 2 SC RIFLES
              > C.S.A
              >
              > HATTIE WHITE COOLEY
              > 11-25-1870
              > 3-10-1895
              >
              > NOVELLA GILLEY
              > B. SEPT 23, 1932
              > D. OCT. 7, 1932
              > DAU OF GORDON BASCOM MCDONALD AND EMMA MYRTLE MILES MCDONALD

            • Regina Pipes
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                Richard,

                As usual our laws are somewhat difficult to understand. I work on The Old
                Baptist Cemetery at Hollywood quiet often as I have many family and friends
                buried there and this cemetery is over a 100 years old. As far as I know it
                has never been declared a Historical Cemetery. If it weren�t for people
                cleaning their graves and taking it upon themselves to clean a few others
                many cemeteries would go in disrepair. I know that the PRICE Cemetery at
                Mud Creek and The GOLD Cemetery and The GENTLE Cemetery at Skyline also fall
                into this same category. Is this law just saying that a cemetery once
                declared a historical cemetery falls under these laws or is it saying any
                cemetery that is at 100 plus?

                Thanks Richard for everything you are able to inform us about. Still love
                your video�s on myspace.

                Regina

                frances_lambert2000@... <mailto:frances_lambert2000%40yahoo.com> >
                wrote:

                > Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
                > cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
                > only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

                9:31 AM

              • Clay Gullatt
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

                  The only cemetery in Jackson County that is on� the Alabama �Historic Register� of Cemeteries is Old Bellefonte Cemetery due to the hard work of Ann Chambless. I think when people speak of a historic cemetery they only mean that it is old.

                  If you would like to get Old Baptist placed on the Alabama Historic Register you can contact Ann to see just what she had to do to get Old Bellefonte on the Historic Register but from what she has posted it was not an easy task.

                  Also the Jackson County Sheriff has provided labor to help get Old Bellefonte cleaned up he might be willing to do so for other old cemeteries.

                  The state laws differ as to how old cemeteries are to be treated but I do not believe that any state allows the destruction or removal of old cemeteries with out going through some process.

                  Clay

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                    It is my understanding that the law covers any Alabama cemetery that is 75
                    years or older, whether they are registered or not. I'm sure the law is well
                    intended and not designed to hassle those who work hard to keep up old
                    cemeteries
                    Richard

                    --
                    Richard Matthews