RE: [jacksongenealogy] Cooley Cemetery

  • Regina Pipes
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
      Has this cemetery been logged? My grandparents were James William and Annie
      COOLEY. They came to Alabama from Tennessee but may have been here before
      they went back to Tennessee. I know a lot of the COOLEY family worked in
      the coal mines. Can you tell me where it is exactly?

      Thanks

      Regina

      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
        Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
        cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
        only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Regina Pipes" <rgpipes@...>
        wrote:

        > Has this cemetery been logged? My grandparents were James William
        and Annie
        > COOLEY. They came to Alabama from Tennessee but may have been here
        before
        > they went back to Tennessee. I know a lot of the COOLEY family
        worked in
        > the coal mines. Can you tell me where it is exactly?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Regina

      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
          Recent posts reminded me that there are Alabama state laws regarding work in
          historic cemeteries. Anyone considering such projects should be aware of
          these requirements. We do need more such projects in our county. thanks to
          all of those who do such fine work.

          AHC - Cemetery Permits: Alabama law (Sections 13A-7-23.1(d) and 41-9-242
          through -249) requires that any work to be done on an historic cemetery (a
          cemetery that is 75 years old or older) must be approved in writing by the
          Alabama Historical Commission by their issuance of a permit. This paper
          describes the various types of permits that may be issued and what steps
          must be taken to apply for a cemetery work permit. Note: A cemetery must be
          forty years old or older to be listed on the AHC's Alabama Historic Cemetery
          Register Program but must be 75 years old or older before permits are
          required for cemetery maintenance, restoration, preservation, and associated
          efforts. Also please note that while the AHC's Alabama Historic Cemetery
          Register Program has been established to register cemeteries 40 years old or
          older, the ACPA seeks to register all cemeteries within Alabama regardless
          of age and that these are two separate and distinct cemetery registry
          programs.

          On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:39 AM, frances_lambert2000 <
          frances_lambert2000@...> wrote:

          > Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
          > cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
          > only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

        • Sam
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
            You can reach the Cooley Cemetery by turning by the side of North Sand Mountain School on Co Rd 318, this road makes a circle behind the school and comes out in front of the Masonic Lodge.  It might be easier for you to go to the Masonic Lodge to turn onto 318.  About a mile down the road you turn right onto ??? (dont know the road name or #) but the turnoff is in a big curve and there has been a lot of houses built back in there.  You go around this road for about 2 miles and the cemetery is on the left of the road, on a hill.  It would be hard to find if you have never been there.  There is no sign.
            All this land has been mined for coal.  I can   go up there and make sure of the road # and give you more accurate directions if you would like.
            Sam

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
              These are the only markers in the Cooley cemetery with names. I collected this information a couple of years ago. I don't know why it is called "Cooley" cemetery. I suppose a lot of the rock markers belong to some Cooley family.
              Sam

              COOLEY CEMETERY

              LOCATED :jACKSON CO AL- GOING NORTH ON AL HWY 73 GO PAST MASONIC LODGE, TURN LEFT ON CO RD 318 GO ABOUT 1 MILE TURN RIGH IN A BIG CURVE, (SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT HERE) GO ABOUT ONE AND ONE HALF MILES, CEMETERY ON LEFT IN A CLUMP OF TREES. (ON A SLIGHT HILL) THIS CEMETERY HAS BEEN NEGLECTED, BUT APPEARS SOMEONE IS TRYING TO CLEAR IT.

              ONLY 3 STONES THAT I COULD FIND, AND A LOT OF ROCK MARKERS

              NANCY THOMAS
              WIFE OF R. HOLCOMB
              DIED 1895

              W.A. WHITE
              CO. H
              2 SC RIFLES
              C.S.A

              HATTIE WHITE COOLEY
              11-25-1870
              3-10-1895

              NOVELLA GILLEY
              B. SEPT 23, 1932
              D. OCT. 7, 1932
              DAU OF GORDON BASCOM MCDONALD AND EMMA MYRTLE MILES MCDONALD
            • frances_lambert2000
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                Sam a TIP COOLEY Patent the Land in 1896. W.A. White had land in
                section 27 patent date
                Frances

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Richard,

                  As usual our laws are somewhat difficult to understand. I work on The Old
                  Baptist Cemetery at Hollywood quiet often as I have many family and friends
                  buried there and this cemetery is over a 100 years old. As far as I know it
                  has never been declared a Historical Cemetery. If it weren�t for people
                  cleaning their graves and taking it upon themselves to clean a few others
                  many cemeteries would go in disrepair. I know that the PRICE Cemetery at
                  Mud Creek and The GOLD Cemetery and The GENTLE Cemetery at Skyline also fall
                  into this same category. Is this law just saying that a cemetery once
                  declared a historical cemetery falls under these laws or is it saying any
                  cemetery that is at 100 plus?

                  Thanks Richard for everything you are able to inform us about. Still love
                  your video�s on myspace.

                  Regina

                  frances_lambert2000@... <mailto:frances_lambert2000%40yahoo.com> >
                  wrote:

                  > Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
                  > cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
                  > only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

                  9:31 AM

                • Clay Gullatt
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

                    The only cemetery in Jackson County that is on� the Alabama �Historic Register� of Cemeteries is Old Bellefonte Cemetery due to the hard work of Ann Chambless. I think when people speak of a historic cemetery they only mean that it is old.

                    If you would like to get Old Baptist placed on the Alabama Historic Register you can contact Ann to see just what she had to do to get Old Bellefonte on the Historic Register but from what she has posted it was not an easy task.

                    Also the Jackson County Sheriff has provided labor to help get Old Bellefonte cleaned up he might be willing to do so for other old cemeteries.

                    The state laws differ as to how old cemeteries are to be treated but I do not believe that any state allows the destruction or removal of old cemeteries with out going through some process.

                    Clay

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                      It is my understanding that the law covers any Alabama cemetery that is 75
                      years or older, whether they are registered or not. I'm sure the law is well
                      intended and not designed to hassle those who work hard to keep up old
                      cemeteries
                      Richard

                      --
                      Richard Matthews