Cooley Cemetery

  • Sam
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
      The name of the forgotten cemetery in Higdon, Al, near Bryant, is:
      Cooley Cemetery. The boy scouts have been cleaning this cemetery for a few years. Thanks so very much to all their hard work.
      Sam
    • Regina Pipes
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
        Has this cemetery been logged? My grandparents were James William and Annie
        COOLEY. They came to Alabama from Tennessee but may have been here before
        they went back to Tennessee. I know a lot of the COOLEY family worked in
        the coal mines. Can you tell me where it is exactly?

        Thanks

        Regina

        The name of the forgotten cemetery in Higdon, Al, near Bryant, is:
        Cooley Cemetery. The boy scouts have been cleaning this cemetery for a few
        years. Thanks so very much to all their hard work.
        Sam

      • frances_lambert2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
          Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
          cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
          only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Regina Pipes" <rgpipes@...>
          wrote:

          > Has this cemetery been logged? My grandparents were James William
          and Annie
          > COOLEY. They came to Alabama from Tennessee but may have been here
          before
          > they went back to Tennessee. I know a lot of the COOLEY family
          worked in
          > the coal mines. Can you tell me where it is exactly?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Regina

        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
            Recent posts reminded me that there are Alabama state laws regarding work in
            historic cemeteries. Anyone considering such projects should be aware of
            these requirements. We do need more such projects in our county. thanks to
            all of those who do such fine work.

            AHC - Cemetery Permits: Alabama law (Sections 13A-7-23.1(d) and 41-9-242
            through -249) requires that any work to be done on an historic cemetery (a
            cemetery that is 75 years old or older) must be approved in writing by the
            Alabama Historical Commission by their issuance of a permit. This paper
            describes the various types of permits that may be issued and what steps
            must be taken to apply for a cemetery work permit. Note: A cemetery must be
            forty years old or older to be listed on the AHC's Alabama Historic Cemetery
            Register Program but must be 75 years old or older before permits are
            required for cemetery maintenance, restoration, preservation, and associated
            efforts. Also please note that while the AHC's Alabama Historic Cemetery
            Register Program has been established to register cemeteries 40 years old or
            older, the ACPA seeks to register all cemeteries within Alabama regardless
            of age and that these are two separate and distinct cemetery registry
            programs.

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
              You can reach the Cooley Cemetery by turning by the side of North Sand Mountain School on Co Rd 318, this road makes a circle behind the school and comes out in front of the Masonic Lodge.  It might be easier for you to go to the Masonic Lodge to turn onto 318.  About a mile down the road you turn right onto ??? (dont know the road name or #) but the turnoff is in a big curve and there has been a lot of houses built back in there.  You go around this road for about 2 miles and the cemetery is on the left of the road, on a hill.  It would be hard to find if you have never been there.  There is no sign.
              All this land has been mined for coal.  I can   go up there and make sure of the road # and give you more accurate directions if you would like.
              Sam

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
                These are the only markers in the Cooley cemetery with names. I collected this information a couple of years ago. I don't know why it is called "Cooley" cemetery. I suppose a lot of the rock markers belong to some Cooley family.
                Sam

                COOLEY CEMETERY

                LOCATED :jACKSON CO AL- GOING NORTH ON AL HWY 73 GO PAST MASONIC LODGE, TURN LEFT ON CO RD 318 GO ABOUT 1 MILE TURN RIGH IN A BIG CURVE, (SUBDIVISION BEING BUILT HERE) GO ABOUT ONE AND ONE HALF MILES, CEMETERY ON LEFT IN A CLUMP OF TREES. (ON A SLIGHT HILL) THIS CEMETERY HAS BEEN NEGLECTED, BUT APPEARS SOMEONE IS TRYING TO CLEAR IT.

                ONLY 3 STONES THAT I COULD FIND, AND A LOT OF ROCK MARKERS

                NANCY THOMAS
                WIFE OF R. HOLCOMB
                DIED 1895

                W.A. WHITE
                CO. H
                2 SC RIFLES
                C.S.A

                HATTIE WHITE COOLEY
                11-25-1870
                3-10-1895

                NOVELLA GILLEY
                B. SEPT 23, 1932
                D. OCT. 7, 1932
                DAU OF GORDON BASCOM MCDONALD AND EMMA MYRTLE MILES MCDONALD
              • frances_lambert2000
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                  Sam a TIP COOLEY Patent the Land in 1896. W.A. White had land in
                  section 27 patent date
                  Frances

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                    Richard,

                    As usual our laws are somewhat difficult to understand. I work on The Old
                    Baptist Cemetery at Hollywood quiet often as I have many family and friends
                    buried there and this cemetery is over a 100 years old. As far as I know it
                    has never been declared a Historical Cemetery. If it weren�t for people
                    cleaning their graves and taking it upon themselves to clean a few others
                    many cemeteries would go in disrepair. I know that the PRICE Cemetery at
                    Mud Creek and The GOLD Cemetery and The GENTLE Cemetery at Skyline also fall
                    into this same category. Is this law just saying that a cemetery once
                    declared a historical cemetery falls under these laws or is it saying any
                    cemetery that is at 100 plus?

                    Thanks Richard for everything you are able to inform us about. Still love
                    your video�s on myspace.

                    Regina

                    frances_lambert2000@... <mailto:frances_lambert2000%40yahoo.com> >
                    wrote:

                    > Regina you can read the story about the boy scouts cleaning this
                    > cemetery at http://www.connectedmagazineonline.com It said that
                    > only three graves have headstones the other are marked with rocks.

                    9:31 AM

                  • Clay Gullatt
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008

                      The only cemetery in Jackson County that is on� the Alabama �Historic Register� of Cemeteries is Old Bellefonte Cemetery due to the hard work of Ann Chambless. I think when people speak of a historic cemetery they only mean that it is old.

                      If you would like to get Old Baptist placed on the Alabama Historic Register you can contact Ann to see just what she had to do to get Old Bellefonte on the Historic Register but from what she has posted it was not an easy task.

                      Also the Jackson County Sheriff has provided labor to help get Old Bellefonte cleaned up he might be willing to do so for other old cemeteries.

                      The state laws differ as to how old cemeteries are to be treated but I do not believe that any state allows the destruction or removal of old cemeteries with out going through some process.

                      Clay

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                        It is my understanding that the law covers any Alabama cemetery that is 75
                        years or older, whether they are registered or not. I'm sure the law is well
                        intended and not designed to hassle those who work hard to keep up old
                        cemeteries
                        Richard

                        --
                        Richard Matthews