Re: William A. White, Cpl. Co. H. 2nd SC Rifles CSA Military Record

  • frances_lambert2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
      Clay thanks for helping Zach. If more teens were like him and would
      help restore cemeteries instead of destroying that would be nice.
      Frances Lambert

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt
      <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

      > Zack
      >
      > I am a Moderator for jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com a member
      sent our group the article on W.A. White's CSA military marker. I
      though you might like further info on him.

      > Complied Military Records CSA
      >
      > William A. White enlisted 20 Jul 1861 Pvt, Co. H, 2nd Reg't SC
      Rifles Columbia SC

      > Prior to the below entries he was listed at Present at Muster Rolls
      > Jan & Feb 1864 Absent on furlough of Indulgance from 20 Feb 1864 40
      days.
      > May & Jun 1864 in Hospital wounded Richmond
      > Jul & Aug 1864 on wounded furlough
      > Sept & Oct 1864 Absent on Sick Leave
      > Nov & Dec 1864  Absent sick in Hospital
      > Jan & Feb 1865 Present
      >
      > He was wounded by a mini-ball in the upper right back of his thigh
      and was admitted Receiving and Wayside Hosp. or General Hosp.
      Richmond VA 14 Aug 1864. We was on a Morning Report of Jackson
      Hospital 15 Aug, 1 & 3 Sept 1864 as W. A. White Corpl. Co H. 2nd SC
      Rifles, Batton's Brigade.

      > Furloughed 30 days 2 Sept 1864 destination Greenville, SC
      >
      > W. A. White Corpl. Co. H. 2nd Regt SC Rifles appears on a list of
      POWs surrrednered by Gen. Robert E. Lee to LT. Gen. U.S. Grant,
      paroled Appomattox Court House VA 9 Apr 1865

      > The is no record of his first would.
      >
      > William A. White died between Jun 1900 and Jun 1910 Jackson Co. AL.
      Elizabeth White died 22 Jan 1914 Jackson Co. AL Death Cert 575. Death
      records were not required before 1909 so WIlliam A. likely died
      before 1909.

      > The following was found by Ann B. Chambless another of our members.
      >
      > William A. White purchased 119.9 Acres of land 11 Nov 1898 in
      Section 2 Township 28 Range 9 Jackson County AL.

      > 1900 US Census Gross Springs Pct 4 Jackson Co. AL.
      > William A. White Head b. Jan 1832 68 mar.39yrs SC SC SC Farmer
      > Elizabeth A. Wife b. Mar 1833 67 mar.11yrs 8children/3living SC SC
      SC
      > John V. Son b. Mart 1867 33 mar.11yrs SC SC SC
      > Rosa Daughter in Law b. May 1874 26 mar.11yrs 2children/none living
      GA GA GA

      > Elizabeth A. White was living with her son John V. on the 1910
      Census.  John V. is also on the 1920 and 1930 Jackson Co. Census.