William A. White, Cpl. Co. H. 2nd SC Rifles CSA Military Record

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
      Zack

      I am a Moderator for jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com a member sent our group the article on W.A. White's CSA military marker. I though you might like further info on him.

      Complied Military Records CSA

      William A. White enlisted 20 Jul 1861 Pvt, Co. H, 2nd Reg't SC Rifles Columbia SC

      Prior to the below entries he was listed at Present at Muster Rolls
      Jan & Feb 1864 Absent on furlough of Indulgance from 20 Feb 1864 40 days.
      May & Jun 1864 in Hospital wounded Richmond
      Jul & Aug 1864 on wounded furlough
      Sept & Oct 1864 Absent on Sick Leave
      Nov & Dec 1864  Absent sick in Hospital
      Jan & Feb 1865 Present

      He was wounded by a mini-ball in the upper right back of his thigh and was admitted Receiving and Wayside Hosp. or General Hosp. Richmond VA 14 Aug 1864. We was on a Morning Report of Jackson Hospital 15 Aug, 1 & 3 Sept 1864 as W. A. White Corpl. Co H. 2nd SC Rifles, Batton's Brigade.

      Furloughed 30 days 2 Sept 1864 destination Greenville, SC

      W. A. White Corpl. Co. H. 2nd Regt SC Rifles appears on a list of POWs surrrednered by Gen. Robert E. Lee to LT. Gen. U.S. Grant, paroled Appomattox Court House VA 9 Apr 1865

      The is no record of his first would.

      William A. White died between Jun 1900 and Jun 1910 Jackson Co. AL. Elizabeth White died 22 Jan 1914 Jackson Co. AL Death Cert 575. Death records were not required before 1909 so WIlliam A. likely died before 1909.

      The following was found by Ann B. Chambless another of our members.

      William A. White purchased 119.9 Acres of land 11 Nov 1898 in Section 2 Township 28 Range 9 Jackson County AL.

      1900 US Census Gross Springs Pct 4 Jackson Co. AL.
      William A. White Head b. Jan 1832 68 mar.39yrs SC SC SC Farmer
      Elizabeth A. Wife b. Mar 1833 67 mar.11yrs 8children/3living SC SC SC
      John V. Son b. Mart 1867 33 mar.11yrs SC SC SC
      Rosa Daughter in Law b. May 1874 26 mar.11yrs 2children/none living GA GA GA

      Elizabeth A. White was living with her son John V. on the 1910 Census.  John V. is also on the 1920 and 1930 Jackson Co. Census.

      1880 US Census Limestone Springs, Sparetanburg Co. SC
      Willam White 48 Head Farmer SC SC SC
      Elizabeth 46 Wife Keeping House SC SC SC
      Narcissus 15 Dau Works on Farm SC SC SC
      John 11 Son Works on Farm SC SC SC
      Martha 8 Dau Works on Farm SC SC SC
      Louisa 6 Dau SC SC SC
      Eraline Moore 23 Works on Farm SC SC SC
      William 2months b. Apr 1880 SC SC SC

      Clay Gullatt
      Mount Airy NC
      Moderator jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com

    • frances_lambert2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
        Clay thanks for helping Zach. If more teens were like him and would
        help restore cemeteries instead of destroying that would be nice.
        Frances Lambert

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt