Re: [jacksongenealogy] research in Jackson Co.

  • Jerry W Birchfield
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2008
      What I found when I visited the court house was copies of the record books, not the record books themselves.  I was looking at marriage records, so I do not know about the other records. I looked these up by the name and dates or approximate dates using the indexes provided in the court house.

      Clay or Ann, would you please explain what records are really available to the public at the court house and how they are organized. Are record books the same as the copies?  Any information would be much appreciated for my next trip.  Where can you find correct indexes, etc.?

      Since I live in California, I put as much information together as possible before the trip to the Madison County and Jackson County Court Houses.  I spent 3 full days photographing about 500 marriage and other records.  I am still processing the almost 1000 pictures I made.  Since I do not have easy access to the court houses, I made 2 or more pictures of each record, which was still not completely successful.  All records are not completely sharp due to depth of field or movement of the camera, over 95% are.  Since I did not pay for copies, I made a donation to the research kitty.

      Thanks
      Jerry Birchfield