BELLEFONTE CEMETERY REPORT

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2008
      The Bellefonte Cemetery received its 2008 Fall cleaning today. The
      next time you see Sheriff Dennis Miller and Deputy Charley Murphy,
      PLEASE thank them for gifting the JCHA and the entire county with their
      time and manpower. Charley and his men worked very hard today, and,
      once again, their efforts made Bellefonte Cemetery "sparkle and
      shine." They make it so much easier to pay our respects to these early
      pioneers who chose this beautiful spot for the resting place of their
      loved ones. After strolling the cemetery from one end to the other, I
      left with a sense of pride and a smile on my face.
      Today I found one brand new marker engraved as follows:
      THOMAS SMITH MOORE (1840-1910)
      Since I did not recognize this name, I checked the 1900 Jackson County
      census and found Smith Moore, his wife Eliza, and their two sons, Thomas
      (born April 1883) and James (born Jan 1891) living in the Hollywood area.
      I did not find the widow Eliza Moore or their two sons in the 1910 and
      1920 Jackson County, Alabama censuses.
      Do YOU know members of this family? IF SO, please let me know so I can
      thank them for marking their ancestor's grave.
      Ann B. Chambless,
      Chairman of the JCHA Bellefonte Cemetery Preservation Committee