Re: [jacksongenealogy] Johnson and Green familiy

  • reeddreaden
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 8, 2008
      Thanks, Jewel for the information. I have checked some of this out before but, my Martin was born around 1825 to 1835
      and was just married once to Martha Green....Berry Johnson is a relative of President Andrew Johnson's if I remember my information correctly...The Johnson family traveled from North Carolina to Tennessee with Berry being the only one to travel to Alabama....I will explore Horatio some more however. My grandmother, whose father was Wm. Johnson said she had a grandmother with the last name of Anderson who came from that area. The Johnson's were also related to the Prince family..a Wm. Prince was a first cousin to my Wm. Johnson. Lucy was a Blalock.

      Thanks again...Shirley Dreaden
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 8, 2008
        I'm going to jump in with my two cents. My ancestor, William Johnson is in
        the 1850 census for Jackson County, Alabama, in T5R5 District 20 and was
        born in Tennessee. He had eight children: Isaac, Reubin, Archibald,
        Fredric, William C., Rebecca A., and Evia J. With the 1850 census of Berry,
        I notice three repeats of names - Isaac, Rebecca, and William. The 1860
        census for Martin shows an Elvy Johnson (female). My 1870 Census shows a
        daughter of William named Evia J. Johnson. Any possibility these families
        are related?

        Jim

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 8, 2008
          I have no idea about Berry Johnson being related to President Andrew Johnson.

          Who was the Martha Green that your Martin Johnson was married to and when were they married? The Green and Fanning families also intermarried and I have a lot of info on these two families. Maybe we can help each other.

          On the 1860 Jackson County, AL census Martin and Martha Johnson are living next door to John and Gilla Anderson. John Anderson is a son of Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson.

          The census taker made a BIG error on the 1860 census. He switched the head of household names on Paint Rock HH# 393-393 W.G. Anderson should be in 394-394 and WM.Brewer should be in 393-393

          William G. Anderson and 1st wife Martha Jane (Fanning) Anderson son of Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson in HH 394-394; Martin and Martha Jane (Anderson) Johnson in HH 395-395 daughter of Horatio Anderson; John and Gilla Ann (Yarbrough) Anderson in 396-396 son of Horatio Anderson;

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 8, 2008
            I bet these Johnson's are all related....My William Johnson, son of Martin met his future wife in Tennessee, she was from Carter County, TN. Her name was Phoebe Edmonia Wilcox..I have all of her history..she is a direct descendant of the Mayflower. William and Phoebe married in Pike County, Arkansas and are in the 1880 Census of Pike County along with Phoebe's brother James or Edward and a Joshua Anderson listed as a cousin. Eventually the Johnson family moved to Wood County, Texas. William's four sisters: Elvy married Tom Nabors/Neighbors, Mary married a Collins and had son Archie, Milton(Aunt Milta) married Jeremiah Bellomy and Melinda/Melissa California never married...I believe brother James Martin died young. A lot of the Green family from Jackson County also moved to Wood County according to fellow researchers who have filled me in on the Green family. I believe the Census says that Martin and Martha were born in Alabama. If you put in Berry Johnson, relative of President Andrew Johnson, you will find Berry's connection to that family. Since my Phoebe was from Carter County which is right next to Greenville where President Johnson lived and is buried..it makes me wonder about the connection. When my grandmother wrote notes about her families history she put that her grandmother was Margaret Anderson I believe..trying to find those notes..I thought she was mistaken because I found out she had a grandmother on the Wilcox side named Margaret Patton who was Phoebe's mother.....

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 8, 2008
              Jim..it could very well be that they are related..I have also wondered if the Census taker put down Evy instead of Eliz. for Elizabeth. But, Elvy is what my grandmother wrote down in her family memories....Grandmother died about 20 years ago and I wish I had really asked more questions...she was always telling us of her childhood....

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 8, 2008
                > Grandmother died about 20 years ago and I wish I had really asked more questions...she was always telling us of her childhood....

                I think most of us have been there and done that.

                I encourage people with all the technology we have at our fingertips to make a cassette or even a video of their memories that our descendants can play after we're gone so that they don't have the same regrets.

              • reeddreaden
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 8, 2008
                  I found a copy that I typed about the 1880 Census: William J. Johnson 28 ALabama Farmer, Phebe E. Johnson 22, Tennessee Keeping House. Jeremiah C. Anderson 25 Alabama Farmer, Edward L. Wilcox 20, TN. Farming, James WIlcox 16 TN Farming. The Wilcox boys are Phebe's brothers.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 9, 2008
                    I have looked through all my family data and I don't think the Martha
                    Green who married Martin Johnson is from my line. There were at least
                    two and probably three unrelated families named Green or Greene who
                    lived in the upper Larkin Creek area by the late 1800's. There are
                    several Marthas in my data, but none match up with the correct time
                    frame. Green is one of those names that the British forced upon Irish
                    rebels and their sympathizers in an effort to break up the Celtic
                    family clans that were proving to be a source of rebels against the
                    crown. As a result, there were many totally unrelated families named
                    Green, many of whom moved to America to escape the British yoke. This
                    makes our genealogy search effort extremely hard to make connections
                    back to our original European ancestors. Good luck, and please keep
                    this web site informed of any new information. I believe I remember my
                    cousins saying that we were related to a least some of the Johnsons in
                    the Valley, but I don't think this Martha is that connection.

                    John McCollum Green

                  • reeddreaden
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 9, 2008
                      Jewel, after getting out my grandmother's notes I see she says her grandmother was an Anderson before she married. Either Martha or Margarette I also checked rootsweb under Horatio Anderson that has "In Memory of Jacob and Joshua" by Joann. I am almost certain that I have made a mistake in thinking that Martha Green was my gg grandmother's name. I don't know where I got the Green from but it seems according to this rootsweb page it would be Martha J. Anderson who married John Martin Johnson b. 1832 and died after 1851. (My Martin died about 1865. )One of the reason's is that my grandfather William Jack Johnson, son of Martin was said to have a 1st cousin, William Prince..well, William Prince b. 1850. is shown on this family sheet as being the son of Mary Ann Anderson and Thomas R. Prince b. 1825. The two boys were known as Billy and one had the nickname of Button and the other Barlow. My great grandfather was Barlow. Also on this family at rootsweb are the "Jacks" family...since my great grandfather had the middle name of "Jack" there must be a connection.I want to thank you and everyone else on the Jacksongenealogy group who has helped me straighten my family roots. I am going with this line for the time being..thanks for the tip on the relationship between Berry Johnson and John Martin Johnson.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 9, 2008
                        John, in the 1870 federal census of my Johnson family, I find them in Jasper
                        Township in Camden County, Missouri. The surname was spelled "Johnston" in
                        this U.S. Census. William Johnson was Dwelling #19 along with wife "Jincy"
                        (born Jane Evans daughter of Thomas J. Evans and Catherine Gross Evans of
                        Jackson County, Alabama) and children Isaac, Reuben, Archibald, Frederic,
                        William, and Evia J. Dwelling #20 is John Green, age 56, born in Kentucky,
                        along with Jane (age 36 born in TN), Luther (age 20), Eliza (age 17), John
                        (age 16), James (age 14), Joseph (age 13) and Noah L. (age 8/12). Jane was
                        born in TN, everyone else in MO. Dwelling 21 is C. Stevens (age 43 b. in
                        NC), Melissa I, George L., Sarah E., Mary I., John C., Melicia A., and Anna
                        L. In Dwelling 22, we have two sons of William Johnson, living with their
                        families: Isaac Johnston (age 24), Malinda, Cordelia, and Jincy. Ruben
                        Johnston (age 21) with wife Elizabeth. Isaac, Ruben, and Arch were born in
                        Alabama. Isaac and Ruben in T5R5 District 20 Jackson County, probably Arch,
                        too. In dwelling 23 William Miller family, dwelling 24 L.B. Brown family,
                        and dwelling 25 Catskil Johnston family.

                        My Johnsons were in T5R5 District 20, Jackson County, AL in 1850. Then Beat
                        #1 Hopkins County Texas in 1860. In 1870 Jasper Township, Camden County,
                        MO. In 1880, Ripley County, Missouri. With only scraps of info, I thought
                        I'd send this along in case someone saw some pattern in their history with
                        either a family name or migration pattern. Of course, couldn't resist the
                        John Green connection.

                        Anybody know if the Martin and Berry Johnsons had land grants or homesteads
                        in Jackson County? I have the "Family Maps of Jackson County, Alabama" book
                        and couldn't find them.

                        Jim

                        I have looked through all my family data and I don't think the Martha
                        Green who married Martin Johnson is from my line. There were at least
                        two and probably three unrelated families named Green or Greene who
                        lived in the upper Larkin Creek area by the late 1800's. There are
                        several Marthas in my data, but none match up with the correct time
                        frame. Green is one of those names that the British forced upon Irish
                        rebels and their sympathizers in an effort to break up the Celtic
                        family clans that were proving to be a source of rebels against the
                        crown. As a result, there were many totally unrelated families named
                        Green, many of whom moved to America to escape the British yoke. This
                        makes our genealogy search effort extremely hard to make connections
                        back to our original European ancestors. Good luck, and please keep
                        this web site informed of any new information. I believe I remember my
                        cousins saying that we were related to a least some of the Johnsons in
                        the Valley, but I don't think this Martha is that connection.

                        John McCollum Green
                        On Nov 8, 2008, at 7:00 PM, Jewel Casey wrote:

                        > I have no idea about Berry Johnson being related to President Andrew
                        > Johnson.
                        >
                        > Who was the Martha Green that your Martin Johnson was married to and
                        > when were they married? The Green and Fanning families also
                        > intermarried and I have a lot of info on these two families. Maybe we
                        > can help each other.
                        >
                        > On the 1860 Jackson County, AL census Martin and Martha Johnson are
                        > living next door to John and Gilla Anderson. John Anderson is a son of
                        > Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson.
                        >
                        > The census taker made a BIG error on the 1860 census. He switched the
                        > head of household names on Paint Rock HH# 393-393 W.G. Anderson should
                        > be in 394-394 and WM.Brewer should be in 393-393
                        >
                        > William G. Anderson and 1st wife Martha Jane (Fanning) Anderson son
                        > of Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson in HH 394-394; Martin and Martha
                        > Jane (Anderson) Johnson in HH 395-395 daughter of Horatio Anderson;
                        > John and Gilla Ann (Yarbrough) Anderson in 396-396 son of Horatio
                        > Anderson;

                      • reeddreaden
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 9, 2008
                          William Johnson of North Carolina was the father of John Johnson who married Martha Andrew and Jacob Johnson. Jacob Johnson was the father of President Andrew Johnson. If this line from William, John, Berry, John Martin and finally my great grandfather is correct then my problem is solved in finding my Johnson roots...and I thank everyone for giving me a few hints on my family ties. I had tried this line before but could not see the John Martin Johnson in the family until today.

                          I have looked through all my family data and I don't think the Martha
                          Green who married Martin Johnson is from my line. There were at least
                          two and probably three unrelated families named Green or Greene who
                          lived in the upper Larkin Creek area by the late 1800's. There are
                          several Marthas in my data, but none match up with the correct time
                          frame. Green is one of those names that the British forced upon Irish
                          rebels and their sympathizers in an effort to break up the Celtic
                          family clans that were proving to be a source of rebels against the
                          crown. As a result, there were many totally unrelated families named
                          Green, many of whom moved to America to escape the British yoke. This
                          makes our genealogy search effort extremely hard to make connections
                          back to our original European ancestors. Good luck, and please keep
                          this web site informed of any new information. I believe I remember my
                          cousins saying that we were related to a least some of the Johnsons in
                          the Valley, but I don't think this Martha is that connection.

                          John McCollum Green
                          On Nov 8, 2008, at 7:00 PM, Jewel Casey wrote:

                          > I have no idea about Berry Johnson being related to President Andrew
                          > Johnson.
                          >
                          > Who was the Martha Green that your Martin Johnson was married to and
                          > when were they married? The Green and Fanning families also
                          > intermarried and I have a lot of info on these two families. Maybe we
                          > can help each other.
                          >
                          > On the 1860 Jackson County, AL census Martin and Martha Johnson are
                          > living next door to John and Gilla Anderson. John Anderson is a son of
                          > Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson.
                          >
                          > The census taker made a BIG error on the 1860 census. He switched the
                          > head of household names on Paint Rock HH# 393-393 W.G. Anderson should
                          > be in 394-394 and WM.Brewer should be in 393-393
                          >
                          > William G. Anderson and 1st wife Martha Jane (Fanning) Anderson son
                          > of Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson in HH 394-394; Martin and Martha
                          > Jane (Anderson) Johnson in HH 395-395 daughter of Horatio Anderson;
                          > John and Gilla Ann (Yarbrough) Anderson in 396-396 son of Horatio
                          > Anderson;

                        • Jewel Casey
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 9, 2008
                            I think someone has this John Martin Johnson mixed up with another John Johnson somehow.

                            John Martin Johnson died before 1870 in Jackson County, AL. His widow Marrtha Jane (ANDERSON) Johnson is living in #313-317

                            #311-315 household is Catherine (Williams) Anderson widow of Horatio Anderson
                            #312-316 household is Mary (Anderson) Prince widow of Thomas R. Prince, daughter of Horatio Anderson

                            HH# 313-317 Big Coon 1870
                            Martha Johnson 35 AL
                            Wm. J. 18 AL
                            Elizabeth E. 16 AL (Elvy)
                            Malinda C. 14 AL (California)
                            F. 9 AL female
                            Milton G. 6 AL
                            James M. 4 AL

                            William Johnson of North Carolina was the father of John Johnson who married Martha Andrew and Jacob Johnson. Jacob Johnson was the father of President Andrew Johnson. If this line from William, John, Berry, John Martin and finally my great grandfather is correct then my problem is solved in finding my Johnson roots...and I thank everyone for giving me a few hints on my family ties. I had tried this line before but could not see the John Martin Johnson in the family until today.

                            I have looked through all my family data and I don't think the Martha
                            Green who married Martin Johnson is from my line. There were at least
                            two and probably three unrelated families named Green or Greene who
                            lived in the upper Larkin Creek area by the late 1800's. There are
                            several Marthas in my data, but none match up with the correct time
                            frame. Green is one of those names that the British forced upon Irish
                            rebels and their sympathizers in an effort to break up the Celtic
                            family clans that were proving to be a source of rebels against the
                            crown. As a result, there were many totally unrelated families named
                            Green, many of whom moved to America to escape the British yoke. This
                            makes our genealogy search effort extremely hard to make connections
                            back to our original European ancestors. Good luck, and please keep
                            this web site informed of any new information. I believe I remember my
                            cousins saying that we were related to a least some of the Johnsons in
                            the Valley, but I don't think this Martha is that connection.

                            John McCollum Green
                            On Nov 8, 2008, at 7:00 PM, Jewel Casey wrote:

                            > I have no idea about Berry Johnson being related to President Andrew
                            > Johnson.
                            >
                            > Who was the Martha Green that your Martin Johnson was married to and
                            > when were they married? The Green and Fanning families also
                            > intermarried and I have a lot of info on these two families. Maybe we
                            > can help each other.
                            >
                            > On the 1860 Jackson County, AL census Martin and Martha Johnson are
                            > living next door to John and Gilla Anderson. John Anderson is a son of
                            > Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson.
                            >
                            > The census taker made a BIG error on the 1860 census. He switched the
                            > head of household names on Paint Rock HH# 393-393 W.G. Anderson should
                            > be in 394-394 and WM.Brewer should be in 393-393
                            >
                            > William G. Anderson and 1st wife Martha Jane (Fanning) Anderson son
                            > of Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson in HH 394-394; Martin and Martha
                            > Jane (Anderson) Johnson in HH 395-395 daughter of Horatio Anderson;
                            > John and Gilla Ann (Yarbrough) Anderson in 396-396 son of Horatio
                            > Anderson;

                          • reeddreaden
                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 9, 2008
                              my great, great grandfather John Martin Johnson died during the Civil War , between 1861 and l866 leaving his wife Martha and their children by themselves. The last child of theirs was born in 1866 and is 4 years old in l870. This would match with the John Martin Johnson who died before 1870 in Jackson County. Household # 312-316 where Mary Anderson Prince lives has to be the sister of Martha Johnson..as my great grandfather, William Jack Johnson, had a first cousin named William Prince. This William was born 1850 and my William Jack Johnson was born in 1852...they both went by the name of Billly with William's nickname of Button and William Jack's was Barlow. John Martin was in the Civil War and contracted measles and died of pneumonia. I started out thinking John Martin was Martin and his wife Martha Green...where I got the Green I do not know but, I have held on to it for 20 years of research...this web page has convinced me that my Martin was John Martin Johnson. If you look at the naming pattern of President Johnson you will find his father Jacob..but his grandfather is William and Jacob's brother was John Johnson who married Martha Andrews. Will continue searching this family and I appreciate every bit of information that has been given me. Looking at my grandmother's notes she said her grandmother (Martha Johnson) was an Anderson before she married...I kept thinking it was a great grandmother. Also, my William Jack met his future wife in Tennessee...she lived in Greenville, TN...and President Johnson lived their as well...it is possible that William Jack and relatives went to Greenville to visit his cousin, the President and met his future wife. Phoebe Wilcox.

                              #311-315 household is Catherine (Williams) Anderson widow of Horatio Anderson
                              #312-316 household is Mary (Anderson) Prince widow of Thomas R. Prince, daughter of Horatio Anderson

                              HH# 313-317 Big Coon 1870
                              Martha Johnson 35 AL
                              Wm. J. 18 AL
                              Elizabeth E. 16 AL (Elvy)
                              Malinda C. 14 AL (California)
                              F. 9 AL female
                              Milton G. 6 AL
                              James M. 4 AL

                              William Johnson of North Carolina was the father of John Johnson who married Martha Andrew and Jacob Johnson. Jacob Johnson was the father of President Andrew Johnson. If this line from William, John, Berry, John Martin and finally my great grandfather is correct then my problem is solved in finding my Johnson roots...and I thank everyone for giving me a few hints on my family ties. I had tried this line before but could not see the John Martin Johnson in the family until today.

                              I have looked through all my family data and I don't think the Martha
                              Green who married Martin Johnson is from my line. There were at least
                              two and probably three unrelated families named Green or Greene who
                              lived in the upper Larkin Creek area by the late 1800's. There are
                              several Marthas in my data, but none match up with the correct time
                              frame. Green is one of those names that the British forced upon Irish
                              rebels and their sympathizers in an effort to break up the Celtic
                              family clans that were proving to be a source of rebels against the
                              crown. As a result, there were many totally unrelated families named
                              Green, many of whom moved to America to escape the British yoke. This
                              makes our genealogy search effort extremely hard to make connections
                              back to our original European ancestors. Good luck, and please keep
                              this web site informed of any new information. I believe I remember my
                              cousins saying that we were related to a least some of the Johnsons in
                              the Valley, but I don't think this Martha is that connection.

                              John McCollum Green
                              On Nov 8, 2008, at 7:00 PM, Jewel Casey wrote:

                              > I have no idea about Berry Johnson being related to President Andrew
                              > Johnson.
                              >
                              > Who was the Martha Green that your Martin Johnson was married to and
                              > when were they married? The Green and Fanning families also
                              > intermarried and I have a lot of info on these two families. Maybe we
                              > can help each other.
                              >
                              > On the 1860 Jackson County, AL census Martin and Martha Johnson are
                              > living next door to John and Gilla Anderson. John Anderson is a son of
                              > Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson.
                              >
                              > The census taker made a BIG error on the 1860 census. He switched the
                              > head of household names on Paint Rock HH# 393-393 W.G. Anderson should
                              > be in 394-394 and WM.Brewer should be in 393-393
                              >
                              > William G. Anderson and 1st wife Martha Jane (Fanning) Anderson son
                              > of Horatio and Elizabeth Anderson in HH 394-394; Martin and Martha
                              > Jane (Anderson) Johnson in HH 395-395 daughter of Horatio Anderson;
                              > John and Gilla Ann (Yarbrough) Anderson in 396-396 son of Horatio
                              > Anderson;

                            • Jewel Casey
                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 9, 2008
                                President Andrew Johnson son of Jacob (died 1812) and Mary (McDonough) (died 1856) Johnson was born 29 Dec. 1808 in Raleigh, NC and died 31 July 1875 in Carter County, TN.

                                The President may have had a brother named William Johnson born 1804

                                Andrew Johnson married 17 Dec. 1827 in Greene County, TN to Eliza McCardle who was born 4 Oct 1810 in Leesburg, TN and died 15 Jan. 1876 in Greene County, TN.

                                Their children: Martha 1828; Charles 1830-1863; Mary 1832-1883; Robert 1834-1869; Andrew-1852-1879.

                                This information was taken from:
                                THE AMERICAN HERITAGE BOOK OF THE PRESIDENTS AND FAMOUS AMERICANS

                                #311-315 household is Catherine (Williams) Anderson widow of Horatio Anderson
                                #312-316 household is Mary (Anderson) Prince widow of Thomas R. Prince, daughter of Horatio Anderson

                                HH# 313-317 Big Coon 1870
                                Martha Johnson 35 AL
                                Wm. J. 18 AL
                                Elizabeth E. 16 AL (Elvy)