Re: Mary Clementine (Robertson) Womack Gullatt Tubbs - Family Info

  • heatkins2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2008
      Hi Folks- I'm new to the group so a brief word of introduction. Laura
      Elizabeth(Bettie) Gullatt and Frederick Rufus Womack are my wife's
      grandparents. It is exciting to know that there is a photo of him
      that we weren't aware of. Frederick(or Fred as he was called) was the
      son of William Riley Womack and Mary Elizabeth(Mollie) Goolsby. Fred
      and Bettie had three children: little is known about the first who
      apparantly died as an infant. Their second child was Edith Marie
      Womack and their third was William Arthur Womack who is my wife's
      father. I have been working on Laura Elizabeth's line and know that
      she was the only child of Mary Clementine Womack Robertson and Peter
      Gullatt. I haven't been able to get far with the Robertson line. I
      have the census records mentioned in an earlier post and it would
      appear that she may have come to AL to help care for her brother's
      child after his wife died, but that's speculation. I haven't been
      able
      to place her in a Robertson family in any of the earlier GA census
      records.

      While we live in WA state, we return to AL and the Paint Rock Valley
      of Jackson once or twice a year. Most of my wife's family are buried
      in Clay cemetery in Princeton. They lived in the Trenton-Hollytree-
      Princeton area. Inaddition to the Womacks and Gullatts, she is
      related to several other surname lines which are found in that area:
      Enochs, Bridges, Toneys, Maples, Cunninghams and Brewer, Her great
      grandfather James Brewer was a Dr and had a store in the Valley in
      Trenton around 1900. We have his medical and store account ledgers
      that cover about a 10 year period.

      My wife's mother was born and grew up in the Hollytree area and had a
      great sense of history. She left us with numerous stories of life in
      the Valley in the 1920s and 30s. My wife and I along with her brother
      and sister-in-law own about 22 acres in "downtown" Hollytree that
      passed down through her family. We also have a copy of "Paint Rock
      Valley Pioneers" which was published in 1986 and describes the
      location and people buried in cemeteries in that area.

      I would be glad to look for names in these if I can be of assistance.
      Just let me know.
    • country_cheeky
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 8, 2008
        Hi
        This might be a clue for you on Robertson. Mary Clementine's
        sister married Charles W Tubb/Tubbs. He was brother to Silas
        P Tubbs. On 1880 census M C lives with a brother. Also on 1880
        Missouri lives with a brother in Jackson County Alabama. They
        are all born in Georgia.
        Missouri and Charles Tubb/Tubbs had one living child Matilda E
        Tubb.
        Phyllis

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "heatkins2002"
        <heatkins2002@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks- I'm new to the group so a brief word of introduction.
        Laura
        > Elizabeth(Bettie) Gullatt and Frederick Rufus Womack are my wife's
        > grandparents. It is exciting to know that there is a photo of him
        > that we weren't aware of. Frederick(or Fred as he was called) was
        the
        > son of William Riley Womack and Mary Elizabeth(Mollie) Goolsby.
        Fred
        > and Bettie had three children: little is known about the first who
        > apparantly died as an infant. Their second child was Edith Marie
        > Womack and their third was William Arthur Womack who is my wife's
        > father. I have been working on Laura Elizabeth's line and know
        that
        > she was the only child of Mary Clementine Womack Robertson and
        Peter
        > Gullatt. I haven't been able to get far with the Robertson line. I
        > have the census records mentioned in an earlier post and it would
        > appear that she may have come to AL to help care for her brother's
        > child after his wife died, but that's speculation. I haven't been
        > able
        > to place her in a Robertson family in any of the earlier GA census
        > records.
        >
        > While we live in WA state, we return to AL and the Paint Rock
        Valley
        > of Jackson once or twice a year. Most of my wife's family are
        buried
        > in Clay cemetery in Princeton. They lived in the Trenton-Hollytree-
        > Princeton area. Inaddition to the Womacks and Gullatts, she is
        > related to several other surname lines which are found in that
        area:
        > Enochs, Bridges, Toneys, Maples, Cunninghams and Brewer, Her great
        > grandfather James Brewer was a Dr and had a store in the Valley in
        > Trenton around 1900. We have his medical and store account ledgers
        > that cover about a 10 year period.
        >
        > My wife's mother was born and grew up in the Hollytree area and
        had a
        > great sense of history. She left us with numerous stories of life
        in
        > the Valley in the 1920s and 30s. My wife and I along with her
        brother
        > and sister-in-law own about 22 acres in "downtown" Hollytree that
        > passed down through her family. We also have a copy of "Paint Rock
        > Valley Pioneers" which was published in 1986 and describes the
        > location and people buried in cemeteries in that area.
        >
        > I would be glad to look for names in these if I can be of
        assistance.
        > Just let me know.

      • hossidy
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2012
          Hi
          About Robertson:
          In the 1870 census for Savannah Division 21, Chatham, Georgia a Mary Robertson b. Georgia abt 1860 is listed in what seems to be a girl's home/orphanage. In the 1860 census for White Bluff, Chatham, Georgia a Wm W J Robertson b. Georgia abt 1852 is listed in what seems to be a boy's home/orphanage. He was apparently released by 1870, age 18. She would have also been released before 1880.
          The names and ages are close, but it would take a lot of digging to prove or disprove anything. There were a lot of Robertson's around there. David Selvey

        • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2012
            David

            I found this in Chatham Co Ga long ago but could not tie them to William Robertson and his sister Mary Clementine Robertson in Jackson Co. AL.

            Wm. W. J. Robertson on the 1860 White Bluff, Chatham Co. GA is living in the Bethesda Ophans School, jus above him is listed John L. Robertson age 13 GA (they originally had 17 and changed it to 13) since they are listed together likely are brothers.

            William Robertson age 18 is listed on the 1870 Chatham Co. Census with a Rebecca Robertson age 56. They apparently are living in a boarding house.

            1850 Dist 13 Chatham Co. GA
            George L. Robertson 41 GA
            Rebecca S. 37
            Susan L. 9
            Herbert 13
            George W. 7
            John L. 3

            Don't know if this is the same family but Rebecca matches with the 1870 Census and John L. matches with the 1860 Census. Never found any of the others on the 1860/1870 Census.

            John L. Robertson of Chatham Co. GA was a PVT in Co. F.  GA1St Inf.(Olmsteads) he only had two cards at Fold3 last one was for clothing issue receipt on 30 Apr 1864 no place given.

            The only way to be sure would be to find the records of the Bethesda Orphans School where William was at or the Orphanage where Mary was at.

            Clay Gullatt