RE: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 313

  • Anne Rohr
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2001
      This is a necessary file to your computer, and is supposed to be there. DO
      NOT Delete. If you have any doubt, check with a reputable computer company
      or contact Microsoft. This is exactly why this type of message should not
      be allowed on a genealogy group site!

      Received the following from a friend. Please follow the directions to find
      and delete the file. I did find this virus on my hard drive.

      Virus software can not detect it. It will not become active until June1,
      2001, at that point it will become active and will be too late. It wipes
      out all files and folders on the hard drive. This virus travels through
      e-mail and migrates to the C:\windows\command folder.

      To find it and delete it off your computer, do the following:

      Go to the START button. Go to FIND or SEARCH - Go to FILES & FOLDERS - Make
      sure the find box is searching the C drive. Type in: SULFNBK.EXE & begin
      search.

      If it finds it, highlight it and press the Del key on your keyboard. Close
      the find dialog box. Open the Recycle Bin. Find the file and delete it from
      the Recycle bin. You should be safe.

      > > You can restore the file you deleted by going to:

      http://antivirus.about.com/compute/antivirus/library/weekly/mcurrent.htm?onc

    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2001
        Please keep our genealogy list for the intended purpose. I know everyone
        wants to be helpful when there is a virus scare, but please use off list
        communication for matters other than genealogy discussion.

        Thank you

        Richard
      • gregthomas
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2001
          I sent this message to everyone in my address book. Everyone who I had sent
          email to including this list. When I recieved info that this was a hoax....I
          sent that info also. I also sent the info of how to reinstall this
          file...just in case the message didn't reach someone on time. I was only
          trying to prevent any damage I might have unknowingly caused. I have never
          sent anything offlist before so I would appreciate a little understanding.
          Thank you and I apologise if I caused anyone any problems.

          Tonda Thomas
          gregthomas@...