Jackson County webb site

  • Richard Burton
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 22, 2008
      Richard Burton from Grant (Marshall County) here.

      I'm new to the group.

      I was trying to look up my wife's grandparents within the cemetery list,
      Jesse and Alice Belle Lynch Shirley(died about1920-1923, shot off his
      horse), who is buried somewhere near Stevenson.

      I was going through the list of cemeteries on the Jackson County Webb site
      and was about halfway through it, and it now does not connect.

      Does anyone out there know why.

      Thanks for any help.

      Richard Burton

    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 22, 2008
        Richard

        I used the FIND feature under EDIT and founded Jesse C. Shirley b. 12-19-1874 d. 9-24-1921 in the Talley Cemetery near Stevenson. Did not find a listing for his wife.

        The transcriber did note that there were many that could not be read or were marked only with stones.

        Don't know why yours quit halfway through, mine work fine.

        Clay

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 22, 2008
          Richard, I am not sure what is causing your confusion. Largely
          through the efforts of Jane Nichols and her husband, Jackson County
          has incredible cememtery records online. Someone on this listserve
          has concatenated all the individual cemetery files into one and that
          is where I always search for names. I can send you that file.

          There is a Jesse Shirley buried in the Talley Cemetery who sounds
          like the person you are looking for:

          JESSE C. SHIRLEY 12-19-1874 9-24-1921

          Here are directions from that file: Located near Stevenson. Turn left
          off Hwy 72 onto 117, turn right on Rd 170, turn right on 71. Cemetery
          is at dead end. The county map says this is Talley Cemetery, but
          most of the people here spell their name Tally.

          There is also this Shirley couple in Stevenson City Cemetery:
          SALLY BEAN SHIRLEY 1865 1939
          J.W. SHIRLEY 3-18-1859 12-31-1919

          There are also a number of Shirleys mentioned in The Stevenson Story
          book, but not Jesse or Alice.

          Hope this helps. Annette Bradford

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Burton"
          <rrmburt@...> wrote:

          > Richard Burton from Grant (Marshall County) here.
          >
          > I'm new to the group.
          >
          > I was trying to look up my wife's grandparents within the cemetery
          list,
          > Jesse and Alice Belle Lynch Shirley(died about1920-1923, shot off
          his
          > horse), who is buried somewhere near Stevenson.
          >
          > I was going through the list of cemeteries on the Jackson County
          Webb site
          > and was about halfway through it, and it now does not connect.
          >
          > Does anyone out there know why.
          >

          > Thanks for any help.
          >

          > Richard Burton

        • Mark Klan
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 22, 2008
            On 22 Oct 2008 at 20:44, nettiebau1952 wrote:
            > Richard, I am not sure what is causing your confusion. Largely
            > through the efforts of Jane Nichols and her husband, Jackson County
            > has incredible cememtery records online. Someone on this listserve
            > has concatenated all the individual cemetery files into one and that
            > is where I always search for names. I can send you that file.
            {snip}

            I did the concatentation of Jackson County cemetery files in MS/Word
            a few years ago, saved it as one large text-format file (.txt), and
            used it extensively before sharing it with the list. It was saving
            me loads of time and much aggravation because I no longer had to
            search all the various cemetery files separately. Ultimately I
            provided it to the Jacksongenealogy list and it appears to have
            proved useful to other researchers. As I commented originally: all
            of the hard word was done by the fine people who walked the
            cemeteries and did the individual cemetery transcriptions. Not me.

            Anyway, I've been meaning to ask whether an updated is needed. That
            is, are there are any more cemetery transcriptions that could be
            included, or perhaps updates of cemeteries that were previously
            transcribed and incorporated into the "mega" file?

            If so, please let me know where to find the new/updated individual-
            cemetery files, and I will do an update. Tell me the *exact*
            location of the new/updated file -- a web address (URL) -- and I will
            add it to the mega-file. I'll wait a week or so and then do any
            necessary updating all at the same time, and will provide one updated
            mega-file for the list's use.

            One note of caution... Due to copyright and use restrictions on some
            of the files being concatenated, I do not want to modify them in any
            way. Ideally, I just want to append new complete files to the mega-
            file, or replace a complete single cemetery listing with an updated
            one. Please don't send me email asking me to add "Jack Smith" to
            Cemetery X's transcription, or asking me to change "Jill Smith's"
            death date in Cemetery Z.

            Let me know if an update to the mega-file would be useful. Thanks in
            advance.

            Mark
          • Clay Gullatt
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 22, 2008
              Mark

              As far as I know there are no updates to the Mega Cemetery File.  I did talk to Jan Nichols last year about updating her cemetery lists and adding photos to show the ones that are in really bad shape to the files with me providing a digital camera for the photos and contributing to the expenses. With the price of gas these days I don't think anything will be done soon. I have not heard from Jan recently and hope she is well.

              Clay

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 22, 2008
                What webb site do you go to and find the list?

                RB

                _____

                On 22 Oct 2008 at 20:44, nettiebau1952 wrote:
                > Richard, I am not sure what is causing your confusion. Largely
                > through the efforts of Jane Nichols and her husband, Jackson County
                > has incredible cememtery records online. Someone on this listserve
                > has concatenated all the individual cemetery files into one and that
                > is where I always search for names. I can send you that file.
                {snip}

                I did the concatentation of Jackson County cemetery files in MS/Word
                a few years ago, saved it as one large text-format file (.txt), and
                used it extensively before sharing it with the list. It was saving
                me loads of time and much aggravation because I no longer had to
                search all the various cemetery files separately. Ultimately I
                provided it to the Jacksongenealogy list and it appears to have
                proved useful to other researchers. As I commented originally: all
                of the hard word was done by the fine people who walked the
                cemeteries and did the individual cemetery transcriptions. Not me.

                Anyway, I've been meaning to ask whether an updated is needed. That
                is, are there are any more cemetery transcriptions that could be
                included, or perhaps updates of cemeteries that were previously
                transcribed and incorporated into the "mega" file?

                If so, please let me know where to find the new/updated individual-
                cemetery files, and I will do an update. Tell me the *exact*
                location of the new/updated file -- a web address (URL) -- and I will
                add it to the mega-file. I'll wait a week or so and then do any
                necessary updating all at the same time, and will provide one updated
                mega-file for the list's use.

                One note of caution... Due to copyright and use restrictions on some
                of the files being concatenated, I do not want to modify them in any
                way. Ideally, I just want to append new complete files to the mega-
                file, or replace a complete single cemetery listing with an updated
                one. Please don't send me email asking me to add "Jack Smith" to
                Cemetery X's transcription, or asking me to change "Jill Smith's"
                death date in Cemetery Z.

                Let me know if an update to the mega-file would be useful. Thanks in
                advance.

                Mark

              • frances_lambert2000
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                  Richard were you on the Jackson county genweb site? If so go to the
                  arcives then the cenetery list for some reason when when I click the
                  on just the cemetery link it will not got to it but I can go to
                  cemeterys through the arcives

                  <rrmburt@...> wrote:

                  > Richard Burton from Grant (Marshall County) here.
                  >
                  > I'm new to the group.
                  >
                  > I was trying to look up my wife's grandparents within the cemetery
                  list,
                  > Jesse and Alice Belle Lynch Shirley(died about1920-1923, shot off
                  his
                  > horse), who is buried somewhere near Stevenson.
                  >
                  > I was going through the list of cemeteries on the Jackson County
                  Webb site
                  > and was about halfway through it, and it now does not connect.
                  >
                  > Does anyone out there know why.
                  >

                  > Thanks for any help.
                  >

                  > Richard Burton

                • Richard Burton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                    Thank you Frances, yes I was on the GenWeb site and for so time I could get
                    to the cemetery list through it. Then suddenly it would not connect. I went
                    to the site you referenced and found what I was looking for. Someone else
                    had looked it up and found the cemetery and told me how to get there (by
                    car-not computer).

                    Thanks to all for the help.

                    Richard Burton

                    _____

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                    <rrmburt@...> wrote:

                    > Richard Burton from Grant (Marshall County) here.
                    >
                    > I'm new to the group.
                    >
                    > I was trying to look up my wife's grandparents within the cemetery
                    list,
                    > Jesse and Alice Belle Lynch Shirley(died about1920-1923, shot off
                    his
                    > horse), who is buried somewhere near Stevenson.
                    >
                    > I was going through the list of cemeteries on the Jackson County
                    Webb site
                    > and was about halfway through it, and it now does not connect.
                    >
                    > Does anyone out there know why.
                    >

                    > Thanks for any help.
                    >

                    > Richard Burton

                  • Mark Klan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                      Thanks, Clay. I've got plenty of other stuff to do if an update to
                      the Jackson County mega-cemetery file is not needed... :-)

                      For those who are looking for it, there is a link at the Yahoo
                      Jackson Genealogy site under Links called "Jackson County Cemetery
                      Files". (The link is way down the page -- you'll have to scroll
                      down.) To save you time, that link is:
                      http://mccutchentrace.com/jackson_county/Jackson%20County%20Cemeteries
                      .txt.

                      The file name has been changed, but the header info and file itself
                      appear to be unchanged from when I compiled it. If you have trouble
                      with the link, Clay or I or many others can provide it by email upon
                      request (but you have to be able to accept a 2MB attachment, and have
                      a word processor or other similar program that can open a very large
                      file).

                      Mark

                    • Regina Pipes
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                        This is what I get when I click on the link.

                        Not Found

                        The requested URL /jackson_county/Jackson County Cemeteries was not found on
                        this server.

                        Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
                        ErrorDocument to handle the request.

                        Regina

                        _____

                        Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.mccutchentrace.com Port 80

                        <mailto:mark%40markabout.com> > wrote:

                        > From: Mark Klan <mark@... <mailto:mark%40markabout.com> >
                        > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] cemetery mega-file update??
                        > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 7:41 PM
                        >

                        > On 22 Oct 2008 at 20:44, nettiebau1952 wrote:
                        > > Richard, I am not sure what is causing your confusion. Largely
                        > > through the efforts of Jane Nichols and her husband, Jackson
                        > County
                        > > has incredible cememtery records online. Someone on this listserve
                        > > has concatenated all the individual cemetery files into one and
                        > that
                        > > is where I always search for names. I can send you that file.
                        > {snip}
                        >
                        > I did the concatentation of Jackson County cemetery files in MS/Word
                        > a few years ago, saved it as one large text-format file (.txt), and
                        > used it extensively before sharing it with the list. It was saving
                        > me loads of time and much aggravation because I no longer had to
                        > search all the various cemetery files separately. Ultimately I
                        > provided it to the Jacksongenealogy list and it appears to have
                        > proved useful to other researchers. As I commented originally: all
                        > of the hard word was done by the fine people who walked the
                        > cemeteries and did the individual cemetery transcriptions. Not me.
                        >
                        > Anyway, I've been meaning to ask whether an updated is needed. That
                        > is, are there are any more cemetery transcriptions that could be
                        > included, or perhaps updates of cemeteries that were previously
                        > transcribed and incorporated into the "mega" file?
                        >
                        > If so, please let me know where to find the new/updated
                        > individual-
                        > cemetery files, and I will do an update. Tell me the *exact*
                        > location of the new/updated file -- a web address (URL) -- and I
                        > will
                        > add it to the mega-file. I'll wait a week or so and then do any
                        > necessary updating all at the same time, and will provide one
                        > updated
                        > mega-file for the list's use.
                        >
                        > One note of caution... Due to copyright and use restrictions on some
                        > of the files being concatenated, I do not want to modify them in any
                        > way. Ideally, I just want to append new complete files to the
                        > mega-
                        > file, or replace a complete single cemetery listing with an updated
                        > one. Please don't send me email asking me to add "Jack Smith" to
                        > Cemetery X's transcription, or asking me to change "Jill Smith's"
                        > death date in Cemetery Z.
                        >
                        > Let me know if an update to the mega-file would be useful. Thanks in
                        > advance.
                        >
                        > Mark

                        7:23 AM

                      • Karl Plenge
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                          Regina -

                          Part of the link got cut off. If you click on that, wait to get the error
                          message, then up in the address box type

                          .txt

                          on the end of it, it will work.

                          > This is what I get when I click on the link.
                          >

                          > Not Found
                          >
                          > The requested URL /jackson_county/Jackson County Cemeteries was not found on
                          > this server.
                          >
                          > Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an
                          > ErrorDocument to handle the request.
                          >
                          > Regina
                          >
                          > _____
                          >
                          > Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.mccutchentrace.com Port 80

                        • Jennie Lee Cabler

> [...]

                            > location of the new/updated file -- a web address (URL) -- and I
                            > will
                            > add it to the mega-file. I'll wait a week or so and then do any
                            > necessary updating all at the same time, and will provide one
                            > updated
                            > mega-file for the list's use.
                            >
                            > One note of caution... Due to copyright and use restrictions on some
                            > of the files being concatenated, I do not want to modify them in any
                            > way. Ideally, I just want to append new complete files to the
                            > mega-
                            > file, or replace a complete single cemetery listing with an updated
                            > one. Please don't send me email asking me to add "Jack Smith" to
                            > Cemetery X's transcription, or asking me to change "Jill Smith's"
                            > death date in Cemetery Z.
                            >
                            > Let me know if an update to the mega-file would be useful. Thanks in

                            10/22/2008
                            7:23 AM

                          • Jennie Lee Cabler

                              > This is what I get when I click on the link.
                              >

                              > Not Found
                              >
                              > The requested URL /jackson_county/Jackson County Cemeteries was not
                              found on
                              > this server.
                              >
                              > Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
                              use an
                              > ErrorDocument to handle the request.
                              >
                              > Regina
                              >
                              > _____
                              >
                              > Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.mccutchentrace.com Port 80

                              10/22/2008
                              > 7:23 AM

                            • Alta Fay Brown
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                                http://mccutchentrace.com/jackson_county/Jackson%20County%20Cemeteries.txt

                                The link is missing the .txt in the email posting - no period at the end.

                                > I get the same thing Regina gets when I click on the link.
                                > Jennie Lee
                                >

                                > On Oct 23, 2008, at 7:07 PM, Regina Pipes wrote:
                                >
                                > This is what I get when I click on the link.
                                >

                                > Not Found
                                >
                                > The requested URL /jackson_county/Jackson County Cemeteries was not
                                > found on
                                > this server.
                                >
                                > Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
                                > use an
                                > ErrorDocument to handle the request.
                                >
                                > Regina
                                >
                                > _____
                                >
                                > Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.mccutchentrace.com Port 80

                              • Regina Pipes
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 23, 2008
                                  Thanks, I�ll try it again.

> [...]

                                  >> location of the new/updated file -- a web address (URL) -- and I
                                  >> will
                                  >> add it to the mega-file. I'll wait a week or so and then do any
                                  >> necessary updating all at the same time, and will provide one
                                  >> updated
                                  >> mega-file for the list's use.
                                  >>
                                  >> One note of caution... Due to copyright and use restrictions on some
                                  >> of the files being concatenated, I do not want to modify them in any
                                  >> way. Ideally, I just want to append new complete files to the
                                  >> mega-
                                  >> file, or replace a complete single cemetery listing with an updated
                                  >> one. Please don't send me email asking me to add "Jack Smith" to
                                  >> Cemetery X's transcription, or asking me to change "Jill Smith's"
                                  >> death date in Cemetery Z.
                                  >>
                                  >> Let me know if an update to the mega-file would be useful. Thanks in

                                  7:23 AM

                                • Amy Christensen
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 2, 2008
                                    Hello all:

                                    Is there a cemetery in Jackson County called Miller Mountain Cemetery? I have a note about it, but can't find a record of it existing.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Amy

                                    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
                                            It's about learning to dance in the rain."

                                    Thanks, Clay. I've got plenty of other stuff to do if an update to
                                    the Jackson County mega-cemetery file is not needed... :-)

                                    For those who are looking for it, there is a link at the Yahoo
                                    Jackson Genealogy site under Links called "Jackson County Cemetery
                                    Files". (The link is way down the page -- you'll have to scroll
                                    down.) To save you time, that link is:
                                    http://mccutchentra ce.com/jackson_ county/Jackson% 20County% 20Cemeteries
                                    .txt.

                                    The file name has been changed, but the header info and file itself
                                    appear to be unchanged from when I compiled it. If you have trouble
                                    with the link, Clay or I or many others can provide it by email upon
                                    request (but you have to be able to accept a 2MB attachment, and have
                                    a word processor or other similar program that can open a very large
                                    file).

                                    Mark

                                    On 22 Oct 2008 at 19:12, Clay Gullatt wrote:
                                    > Mark
                                    >
                                    > As far as I know there are no updates to the Mega Cemetery File.  I
                                    > did talk to Jan Nichols last year about updating her cemetery lists
                                    > and adding photos to show the ones that are in really bad shape to
                                    > the files with me providing a digital camera for the photos and
                                    > contributing to the expenses. With the price of gas these days I
                                    > don't think anything will be done soon. I have not heard from Jan
                                    > recently and hope she is well.
                                    >
                                    > Clay

                                  • frances_lambert2000
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 3, 2008
                                      There is a Miller Cemetery T1S R4E Sec15 that would be close to
                                      Estill Forks.11 Graves first known interment E.J. Brewer (1884-1908)
                                      last known interment Dortha Jean Brewer(1930-1936) Hall& Miller are
                                      common names in this cemetery. This is from a book I have.

                                      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Amy Christensen