SOME EARLY JACKSON COUNTY, AL SETTLERS

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
      In going through some old records, I found one of my old notes which
      mention several men who moved to Jackson County, AL, before 1830. This
      information is from Lincoln County, Tennessee Minute Docket Volume 1,
      dated 1811-1812, page 120:
      "Ordered by the Court that William Davis be overseer of the road from
      Hugh M. Blakes and John Blakes with the viewers marks to Robert Leonards
      and call on George Tinkle, Robert Tinkle, Henry Jimeson, CAGE PROCTOR,
      William Bates, HUGH MITCHELL, ROBERT PROCTOR, JAMES PROCTOR, Benjamin
      Proctor, WILLIAM PROCTOR, James MItchell, James McCoy, Edward Faris,
      JEREMIAH PROCTOR, WILLIAM DAVIS, Zachariah GOLD, Thomas LIttle, and
      Jonathan GOLD to be his hands to cut said road and keep it in repair.
      Issued 18 August 1811."
      The 1830 Jackson County, AL census shows the names of James Proctor,
      Robert Proctor, William Proctor, Jeremiah Proctor, Thomas Proctor, Hugh
      Mitchell, a Martha Mitchell who may have been the widow of James
      Mitchell, and William Davis. These men were all neighbors and either
      lived in the Tupelo area or near by in Maynards Cove. In 1830, Thomas
      Gold lived next door to Hugh Mitchell and two houses from Jeremiah Proctor.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • PATG31@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2008
        Thanks, Ann. William DAVIS and Jeremiah PROCTOR are both my ancestors.
        Jeremiah married William's daughter, Jane PROCTOR.
        Pat

      • Vrgfdonna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
          In a message dated 10/1/2008 9:53:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
          PATG31@... writes:

          Thanks, Ann. William DAVIS and Jeremiah PROCTOR are both
          my ancestors.
          Jeremiah married William's daughter, Jane PROCTOR.
          Pat
          ++++++
          Pat,
          What can you tell me about William DAVIS? Could he have
          had a daughter, Elizabeth, in 1819? I am looking for the
          parents of my Elizabeth DAVIS, born 1819 Al. married
          Samuel CRESSWELL 1847 and buried Clay Cemetery
          1897.
          Thanks,
          Velma

        • PATG31@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2008
            Velma,
            According to the information that I have, William Davis had several daughters
            and 1 son, all born between 1780 and 1800 before they arrived in Alabama.
            Pat

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2008
              Thank you, Pat, for your response.
              Velma