Re: [jacksongenealogy] William Carroll Thomas information

  • Janice Stockton
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 25, 2008
      Even when my husband lived in Florida (up to 1957), kids were going to Georgia to get married, as the law there allowed very young teens to be married without parental consent. Might be something to check into.

      From: Anne D.P. Johnson <annedpjohnson@...<mailto:annedpjohnson@...>>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com<mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, September 24, 2008, 7:45 AM

      hello mark and list,

      This posting prompted me to remember something that I have been meaning
      to follow up on for a few years. After my grandmother Vivian Arenda
      Dunstan Smith, passed away, family members told my mother that my
      grandmother had been married prior to her marriage to my mother's
      father (a Smith). Mom followed up on it with my grandmother' s best
      friend, who seemed to remember his name being William Carroll. They
      later divorced. This marriage and divorce probably took place between
      1925 and 1934. Grandma remarried before 1935.

      They lived in Chattanooga, but the friend did not know where they
      married. I have not been able to find record of it, either. I wonder if
      this William is related to your family (I know Jackson is not that far
      from Chattanooga) and thought I would throw it out there, just in case
      you had come across her name in any of your research.

      Does anyone know if there were multiple Carroll lines in this area?

      One other question - Does anyone know of a resort area or a place near
      Chattanooga/ Lookout Mtn that people would have gone to to get married?
      Mom said that her parents were married somewhere not right in
      Chattanooga. It sounded like somewhere you might go for a second
      marriage for a weekend trip. Hope that makes sense. I have been
      grasping at straws trying to find out WHERE they were married. Again,
      this second marriage would have been early 30s. So, a site for 1930s
      Destination Weddings? It would not have been anything fancy.

      Thanks, and I apologize if this is too far "off Jackson County
      subject." I grew up in Atlanta, and was hoping that some of you raised
      up in that area might have some ideas off the top of your head. I so
      appreciate everyone sharing their recollections of Jackson County. I
      have also learned so much from some of you!

      Thanks,
      Anne Johnson