1850 JACKSON COUNTY AGRICULTURAL CENSUS

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
      The 1850 Agricultural Census lists (by column) the (1) owner, (2) acres
      of improved land, (3) acres of unimproved land, (4) CASH VALUE OF FARM
      LAND, (5) Value of farm implements and machinery, and (6) value of
      livestock. Will give some examples below:

      1. Joel Arendale (Bridgeport area), 1000 acres of improved land, 2000
      acres unimproved land, $20,000 cash value of farm land, $350 value of
      farm implements/machinery, and $2500 value of livestock
      2. James Campbell (Hollywood area), 300 acres of improved land, 400
      acres of unimproved land, $6,000 cash value of farm land, $800 value of
      farm implements/machinery, and $1000 value of livestock
      3. John E. Caperton (Stevenson area), 120 acres improved land, 580
      acres unimproved land, $6,000 cash value of farm land, $200 value of
      farm implements/machinery, and $1485 value of livestock
      4. James N. Gullatt (Bellefonte area) 100 acres improved land, 400
      acres unimproved land, $3,000 cash value of farm land, $100 value of
      farm implements/machinery, and $235 value of livestock
      5. Charles L. Roach, 600 acres improved land, 900 acres of unimproved
      land, $12,000 cash value of farm land, $350 value of farm
      implements/machinery, and $1450 value of livestock
      6. John R. Coffey (Coffey's Ferry area near Wannville), 160 acres of
      improved land, 750 acres of unimproved land, $3200 cash value of farm
      land, $120 value of farm implements/machinery, and $500 value of livestock
      7. Thomas Longacre (Rash area), 144 acres of improved land, 1065 acres
      of unimproved land, $7,000 cash value of farm land, $370 value of farm
      implements/machinery, and $817 value of livestock
      8. Matthew Washington (near Fackler), 200 acres of improved land, 1060
      acres of unimproved land, $7,000 cash value of farm land, $500 value of
      farm implements/machinery, and $2036 value of livestock
      9. William Walker (Larkinsville area) 200 acres of improved land, 660
      acres of unimproved land, $3,000 cash value of farm land, $140 value of
      farm implements/machinery, and $1291 value of livestock
      10. David Larkin (Larkinsville area) 12,000 acres of improved land,
      20,000 acres of unimproved land, $23,000 cash value of farm land, $1700
      value of farm implements/machinery, and $3600 value of livestock
      11. Thomas Gold (Maynards Cove area), 80 acres improved land, 75 acres
      unimproved land, $850 cash value of farm land, $60 value of farm
      implements/machinery, and $437 value of livestock
      12. Peter Gold (Maynards Cove area), 16 acres improved land, 24 acres
      of unimproved land, $150 cash value of farm land, $5 value of farm
      implements/machinery, and $75 value of livestock
      13. Walker Mathis (Big Coon area), 80 acres improved land, 170 acres of
      unimproved land, $1,000 cash value of farm land, $20 value of farm
      implements/machinery, and $610 value of livestock
      14. William J. B. Padget (Paint Rock Valley area), 70 acres improved
      land, 80 acres unimproved land, $800 cash value of farm land, $30 value
      of farm implements/machinery, and $500 value of livestock
      15. Peter Blackwell (Paint Rock Valley area), 60 acres of improved
      land, 20 acres of unimproved land, $900 cash value of farm land, $50
      value of farm implements/machinery, and $222 value of livestock
      There were MANY more men who owned 40 to 160 acres than those who owned
      acreage in excess of 160 acres.
      Ann B. Chambless
    • jrytrplt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
        Ann: Now we are cookin'. I have a yardstick to measure with. Apparently,
        someone with a value of $350 in the 1850 census was on the lower end of the
        scale.

        Also, I was unaware of the agricultural census.

        Thank you.

      • Clay Gullatt
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 23, 2008
          Try this link to the USGENWEB Archives Project for Alabama. Click on Jackson County or any other county in AL to see what they have.

          http://usgwarchives.org/al/alfiles.htm

          If the link doesn't work just google usgenweb archives project jackson county.

          Also at the Jackson Co site is the 1850 and 1860 census as well as Jackson Co. Marriages and much otther info.

          It would be a good idea if you have not already done so to visit the jacksongenealogy group home website and click on each link under LINKS and Files. Check out Jackson Co AL Surnames under DATABASE to see which surnames members are researching.

          You never know what you might find.

          ************ **Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
          calculators. (http://www.walletpo p.com/?NCID= emlcntuswall0000 0001)

        • jrytrplt@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
            Ann:? I have had a chance to look at the Ag Census - good stuff.? It appears that farmaland was probably worth $8 to $10 an acre.? It also clearly spells out who owned what!? Thanks.? Jerry T

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
              For the example land values given by Ann, they generally range from
              about $4 to $9 per acre, considering both improved and unimproved
              land. The real outlier is David Larkin's land, which is only $0.72
              per acre. It makes me think there might have been a typo in the
              original census valuation of $23,000 for the Larkin land (maybe:
              $230,000?).

              Anyway, excluding that one outlier, the average for all other acreage
              in Ann's examples is $6.27 per acre. <Geek Mode On>By doing a
              multiple linear regression of total land values against the total
              acreage and the fraction of acreage which is improved, you can
              estimate the 1850 values for improved and unimproved land separately
              (again only for the examples provided by Ann). These are $9.60 for
              improved land and $4.60 for unimproved land. <Geek Mode Off>

              Based on established estimates for inflation since 1850, one 1850
              dollar was worth about 27 times the worth of one dollar today. So in
              terms of today's dollars, the 1850 examples for improved land work
              out to be roughly $260 per improved acre and $120 per unimproved
              acre. (These estimates exclude the Larkin outlier.) The source for
              the inflation estimates is from an Oregon State Univ. site:
              http://oregonstate.edu/cla/polisci/faculty-research/sahr/sahr.htm.

              Since I'm an economist, I guess I'll go now to watch the Presidential
              address... :-)

              Hope this is helpful to you folks, or at least interesting.

              Mark

            • Malbuff
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
                I have wondered the same thing. Perhaps the form only had five columns
                for the value field. Like the early computer programs that had only two
                digits for the year field.

                Then again, David Larkin was a powerful guy. Maybe they just handed him
                the form and let him fill in his own figure. ;-)

                Glory to God,

                David Malbuff
                Strasburg, Virginia

              • John Green
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 6, 2008
                  Clay,

                  I have a question regarding the land records on the US GEN site for
                  Jackson County. What does a zero in the "Total Acreage" column?

                  John McCollum Green

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 6, 2008
                    John

                    Which person are you looking at?

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 6, 2008
                      John

                      What the extract from the Ag Census does not show total acres owned. The first two numbers after the owner's name is for a.. Acres of Improved Land b. Acres of Unimproved Land. That means if the second figure is - (meaning zero) then all the land was improved.

                      Some people are listed with only value of Farm Implements or Livestock this means they did not own the land they lived on as I see it.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 7, 2008
                        Clay,

                        I was looking specifically at Curtis McCollum and a land action dated
                        1860/09/01 for land in Section 6, Township 1S, Range 4E.

                        John

                      • John Green
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 7, 2008
                          Clay,

                          I'm not sure I understand completely. I only see one number in all the
                          entries.

                          John