Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: A few questions.

  • Malbuff
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 23, 2008
      Well, in 1850 David Larkin had 32,000 acres, which is fifty miles square. It was valued at $23,000. That's about 70 cents per acre. Much of that land was prime cotton.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      From: jrytrplt <jrytrplt@...>
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Re: A few questions.
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 3:58 PM

      Unreal! Who would have thought $.20 and acre. Thanks.

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Plenge"
      <kmplenge@...>
      wrote:

      > > 3. Anyone know the value of an acre of farm land in 1850 or a 100
      acre
      > tract?
      >

      > I happened yesterday to look at a sale from 1841 in Tippah Co, MS (ne
      corner of the state) where 53 acres were sold for $10. I don't know if
      this was "going rate" at the time or not, and of course, AL may have
      been different from MS.