JACKSON COUNTY COURTHOUSES follow-up

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2008
      The courthouse history I sent yesterday is *_very_ *abbreviated and
      hopefully will be used by the State of Alabama to replace the
      error-ridden one which appears online at
      http//:www.encyclopediaofalabama.org
      There was a minor fire about 1844 in the Bellefonte Courthouse. We
      have no way of knowing the extent of damage to records at that time.
      During the Civil War, the Bellefonte Courthouse was used and abused by
      Federal troops who also burned many records which included the marriages
      and wills and estate settlements before 1851. The deeds survived.
      Only Deed Book 14 is missing. It appears that some of the earliest deed
      books may have been re-written/re-corded after the Civil War, as the
      existing Deed Book A contains deeds made about 20 years after the deeds
      in Deed Books E and F. Deed Book E contains the earliest recorded
      deeds beginning in the latter half of 1830. The deeds in Deed Book A
      were made in the late 1840s and early 1850s.
      Ann B. Chambless