FATHER OF JOSIAH STEPHENS who married Nancy VANN

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
      David Malbuff: Thanks so much for your email in answer to Jewell's
      query. Like you, the local Stephens researchers with whom I have
      worked think Luke Vann was Nancy's father. However, I have always
      wondered why she did not name a son Luke. We know that William H.
      Stephens named a son Miles Vann which makes me wonder about the source
      and/or choice of "Miles".
      Also, the Goodlow in son Joseph's name and the Bobbitt in your John's
      name have always intrigued me. Do you know if the "H" in William's name
      was for Henry? IF SO, that might lend some credence to Josiah, Jr.'s
      grandfather being THE Henry Stephens.
      I do not have copies of the entire military file of Josiah Stephens,
      Jr., but I have always thought that the Josiah, Sr. crept into that file
      in later years (after the War of 1812).
      I have never found any record of more than one Josiah Stephens in
      Franklin County, TN.
      NOW to the 1812 Franklin County, TN Tax List: There are three Stephens
      listed immediately below Josiah Stephens' name on this 1812 Tax List.
      They are Ebenezer Stephens, Sr., Ebenezer Stephens, Jr., and James Stephens.
      Have you encountered these two Ebenezers' in your Stephens research?
      In checking the 1820 Franklin County, TN census, the only Stephens I
      found was Samuel Stephens. There is a Samuel Stephens, age 72 in the
      1850 Franklin Co, TN census, and he was (born 1778 in NC.)
      Would you please check the following list to see if it agrees with your
      record of Josiah Stephens' children? IF NOT, please share your list
      and/or corrections with me.
      I show two children by an unknown first wife as Elizabeth Stephens and
      Sutton Stephens. According to the 1850 and 1860 Reynolds Co, Missouri
      censuses, Sutton was born in either 1785 or 1791. I do not have a birth
      date or any other info for Elizabeth Stephens.
      I show the following as children of Josiah and Nancy (Vann) Stephens:
      1. John Bobbitt Stephens, born 1797 in SC, died 1855
      2. William H. Stephens, born 1799 in SC, died Sept 17, 1858, in Jackson Co.
      3. Frances Stephens, born 1800 in SC, died after 1860 in Jackson Co.
      4. Joseph Goodlow Stephens, born Apr 19, 1802, in SC, died 1864 in MS.
      ???5. David Stephens, born ca 1804 (NFI) I have no proof this male
      existed.
      6. Nancy Stephens, born 1806, married Joseph Anthony (NFI)
      7. James Stephens, born circa 1809, died before 1840, married Mary
      Peters of the Peters Cove clan.
      8. Mary Stephens, born circa 1811, died Jan 30, 1864, in Palo Pinto Co,
      TX. Mary married Andrew Peters of the Peters Cove clan.
      9. Jackson Stephens, born 1815-1820 (probably closer to 1815 based on
      the 1840 Jackson County census. (NFI after 1840 census)
      ??10. Josiah Stephens, Jr. (or the III), born 1820-1825 (NFI) I do
      not have proof this male existed. The age is based on the youngest
      male in Josiah and Nancy's household in the 1830 census. However, this
      male could have been a grandson for all I know.
      Thanks for sharing!
      Ann B. Chambless
    • Malbuff
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
        We should rename this thread to "STAY UP LATE".

        I don't know what William's middle name was. I know he named two other
        sons Francis and Marion, after the S.C. hero.

        The military records I have for Josiah show TWO Josiahs enlisted side by side
        in the 1812 war. I had wondered if the younger Josiah was a son from Josiah's first
        marriage. It was this discussion which led to William Lackey Stephens
        wondering if Sutton might be brother to Josiah, rather than son. It would not
        be terribly unusual for Josiah to have a Josiah jnr by one wife, and 25 years
        later have another by another wife. Of course, if he'd known how much trouble
        he was gonna cause us, I'm sure he'd have named him "Moe" or maybe
        "Larry". ;-)

        The only Ebenezer Stephens in my records is a native of Connecticut born
        before 1700.

        I only had 3 known children for Josiah and Nancy Vann: John B, William, and
        the junior Josiah born ca 1815. Thank you so much for the rest of the names.
        This'll take me weeks to catch up!

        John B did not die in 1855, he is in the 1870 census for Titus county, Texas.
        He had several namesake descendants. One has a dam named after him near
        Mount Pleasant. Another was a wildcat Texas oilman in the 1930s.

        Now here is something I got from William Lackey Stephens. It is long, but what
        the heck, we've pretty much monopolized the group tonight anyway.

        Compiled by Tom Stevens 868 Beach Road, Poplarville MS 39470 gold1001@...

        "THE MIGRATION TO TENNESSEE

        "According to family tradition (recollections of tales told by Nancy Catherine Selman Stephens) Josiah Stephens traveled through Northern Georgia from Greenville District South Carolina shortly after 1810 on his way Westward in a party of settlers (which must have included several members of the South Carolina Stephens Family) using a covered wagon pulled by a team of four oxen which was typical of migration during this time period. Eastern Alabama at that time was occupied by the Creek Nation of Indians so in order to enter Tennessee, one had to travel Northward. It is known that Josiah Stephens and Party camped for a prolonged period of time that Winter at Fort Oglethrope, Georgia which was then a part of old Cass (County. (named after Andrew Jackson's Secretary of War). Only forty years earlier this area was occupied by a band of rebellious Cherokee Indians various outcasts. half breeds and white Tories who waged a relentless war upon parties of white settlers descending into Tennessee. It had been a short time ago that an expedition had been sent against the Indians, driving them into the gorges of the Cumberland Mountains. Now more peaceful Cherokees succeeded them; the Brainard Mission had been established consisting of a church, school trading post and mill, but as yet the United States Cavalry Post had not been established.

        "By 1812 Josiah Stephens was living near Knoxville, Tennessee with his wife. Nancy Van Stephens, and family. It was from here that Josiah Stephens was mustered into the service of the United States in the War of 1812 on the 10th December 1812, being honorably discharged 9th February 1813. He served in the grade of Private in Captain George Caperton's Company of the Tennessee.

        "Josiah Stephens, Jr., son of Josiah Stephens, Sr. and Nancy Stephens was born in Tennessee in 1816. By 1824 his father was living in Franklin County Tennessee, and entered claim for 50 acres of land on the South side of Elk River. Edward Stephens. page 8

        "THE STEPHENS FAMILIES OF ITAWAMBA COUNTY MISSISSIPPI

        "On October 22. 1832, the Treaty of Pontotoc, concluded between the Chickasaw Indians and the United States Government, wiped out the remaining Chickasaw titles east of the Mississippi. Much of the ceded land became various present day North Mississippi Counties. Itawamba was one such county, It was between 1835-37 that Northern Mississippi experienced the greatest land boom in its history. Nearly half of the land area in the State of Mississippi was offered at Public Sales in the years 1837-38.

        "According to the 1830 Federal Census of Alabama, Zachariah Stephens had arrived in Blount County. Apparently he lived there for the next several years and then migrated by 1840 to what is now Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. Mr. Elmer Stephens, a descendent, stated that Zachariah, son of John Stephens, and his five sons lived about three miles from the present day city of Tuscaloosa at the forks of the Warrior River. Apparently Zachariah and his sons enjoyed hunting very much, because as more and more settlers encroached upon their hunting lands in Tuscaloosa County, this family migrated around 1844 to newly formed Itawamba County where game and land were abundant. In Misssissippi Zachariah Stephens homesteaded several hundred acres of land lying between present day Fulton and 20-Mile Bottom on the old Fulton-Jacinto Road. According to numerous personal interviews with elderly descendants of this family in Itawamba County, Zachariah was accompanied by his wife, Tabitha, born in South Carolina in 1799 and his five sons, Abel, Green Sheldon, James Milton, John R. and Redden Byrd. The settlement around which they settled became known as Stephens Town and is still known by this name by many of the Stephens descendants of that area.

        "Zachariah Stephens was born February 8, 1787 in South Carolina according to the 1880 and 1860 Federal Census of Itawamba County. He died October 2. 1881, in Itawamba County and is buried there in the Stephens Cemetery, which he founded. by the side of his wife, Tabitha. Abel, John R., and James M. Stephens also are buried in the Stephens Cemetery. Zackariah Stephens had one known sister (according to Mr. Kirksey, descendent of Tupelo), who was Elizabeth Stephens born in South Carolina in 1780. Elizabeth was living in 1880 in the home of Abel Stephens. In the later years of Old Zachariah's life, he lived with his son, John R. Stephens. a veteran of the Civil War having fought in Company one 12th Mississippi Cavalry in the grade of Lt.

        "By 1830 Josiah Stephens, Sr. had migrated from Franklin County, Tennessee to Maynard's Cove in Jackson County, Alabama. It was here that Josiah Stephens, Jr. grew up and before 1840 had married Nancy Midlock Mitchell who was born in Alabama in 1820. Apparently young Josiah Stephens, Jr. had heard of the newly opened land in Northern Mississippi and between 1840-43, according to his descendants still living in Itawamba County, migrated with his wife by covered wagon through the Moulton Valley in North Alabama to Marion County, Alabama settling in Itawamba.

        "Analysis of consecutive census records of Old Pendleton and Greenville Districts and correlation of these analyses with the Bible Records possessed by Mr. Elmer Stephens of Fulton, Mississippi and correlation of this data with personal interviews with elderly descendants of John and Josiah Stephens (now living in Itawamba County Mississippi) would allow one to reason that Samuel had at least two sons, Josiah and John Stephens. Probably Daniel was a third son, Apparently these two sons left Virginia around the time of the America Revolution, and by 1790 both were living in South Carolina as proven by examination of South Carolina Federal Census Records for this time period. John and Daniel Stephens lived in Pendleton District and Josiah Stephens lived in the adjacent District of Greenville.

        "Source: "Various Decendents of Josiah Stephens and Other Heterogeneous Groups" by Bryant "

        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        I did find Josiah jnr in later years living in Itawamba, so it checks out. (1840, 1850, 1870 census)

        This fellow has the senior Josiah as a son of Samuel Stephens, which again is at odds with what I have. But I'll
        have to check it out, see where it leads.

        Glory to God,

        David Malbuff
        Strasburg, Virginia

      • Karl Plenge
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
          > We should rename this thread to "STAY UP LATE".

          Whoever wanted see activity on this board got their wish!!!

        • marthawsv
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
            LDS shows a son of Josiah Stephens and Catherine Borden as Ebenezer b.
            1764 Bertie County, South Carolina. As always, take LDS info as a
            starting place, not proof. There is also the question as to whether
            Catherine Borden was the wife of Josiah or not.

            Martha in California
          • Jimmie Ryan
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 17, 2008
              Interesting, as you know in 1725 the British took control of New France;
              there were many settlers at that time in what is known as the Northwest
              Atlantic States. The Stevens family I am speaking of was driven from
              England by Charles I return to power; having supported the rebellion against
              Charles the Stephens Royal House was placed under the control of the crown,
              in the early part of the 19th century the family went to England to reclaim
              there standing and lands; the court found that the name change to Stevens
              made them somehow no longer descendants of the House of Stephens. We know
              various Stevens family that came from the New England (today's term) area;
              as the northern part of the Stephens family. Ebenezer was part of the
              family that did not change there name; the Stevens family left what is now
              New England when the British took control of New France in 1725; fleeing
              south to what was the Carolina's at the time, and under British control
              would become North Carolina (boarders moving with the survey's of the
              various nations that were to come), when the American Revolution came; the
              loyalist from the Colonies fled to Charleston, then on to Spanish Florida;
              then received Spanish Grants for West Florida; or they ventured in the last
              French possession in the new world before the trade and retake between Spain
              and France to be sold to the new United States in 1805; we know from history
              Southern Alabama remained in dispute; while the Indian Lands between the
              expanding US interests in western Tennessee and the Arkansas/Mississippi
              trading routes. Until the destruction of the Indian Culture in Northern
              Alabama and the removal in 1817 of all Indian's from the eastern land of the
              Mississippi no land was granted in or around Jackson County, the opposite
              was true and settlers were being removed from these lands as squatters.
              Most of the settlers (French) who had remained had long family ties to the
              area when it was under Spanish and French control - we must not forget this
              area was well settled by the French and the Spanish as part of there North
              American Holdings.

              Just to make this short, as this group has not attempted to go into these
              areas of history, and I am not one to return to that painful titatate. Let
              us just Say that Ebenezer would be a promonant member of the Stephens family
              that will move west - all is open to interpretation and various competing
              historical concepts; all within the 20th century and with no related FRENCH
              or SPANISH documentation to support many of the English claims of ownership;
              nor the American claims that were to come from the paper trail that remained
              after the loss of New France.

              It would be interesting to see just who was settled or not settled in this
              area prior to 1809 and of course the Indian removal process; which part of
              the Indian White family stayed and who were forced to march that trail we
              know as the "First Trail of Tears (c 1816).

              Jimmie

              > LDS shows a son of Josiah Stephens and Catherine Borden as Ebenezer b.
              > 1764 Bertie County, South Carolina. As always, take LDS info as a
              > starting place, not proof. There is also the question as to whether
              > Catherine Borden was the wife of Josiah or not.
              >
              > Martha in California

            • Jimmie Ryan

              • malbuff@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 18, 2008
                  That would make Ebenezer a likely brother of Josiah, who was born in 1771.? Thank you!

                  Glory to God,

                  David Malbuff
                  Strasburg, Virginia