Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Gray Family <1820 Jackson County

  • Charles McCutchen
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6 7:17 AM
      I am also interested in Gray familyies of Jackson and
      Morgan County. My g-g-g-g-grandfather's second wife
      (no issue) was Cassandra Gray. They were married in
      1823 in Morgan County and moved to Jackson County
      shortly thereafter. She had a brother named John
      Harrison Gray who lived in Morgan or Jackson County.
      He may have served in the 1829 Florida Indian Wars. I
      believe he married a Melinda Campbell.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/
    • rubyb@edge.net
      Message 2 of 15 , May 8 8:45 PM
        Hello to all researching the Gray and Headrick/Hedrick Families of Jackson
        County. We are on the right track here, I am sure. My Grays came to
        Jackson County prior to the 1829 Florida Indian Wars or during it. In fact,
        when Isaac Gray, the oldest one I have a record of, came when there was
        considerable trouble with the Indians. His family came on one of two flat
        boats. The story I have is that the Indians attacked the lead flatboat and
        all aboard it were thought to be killed, and most of the ones on the second
        flatboat were killed. Isaac was able to swim ashore and hid out in the
        woods-built himself a cabin-and eventually made friends with the Indians.
        It is probable that several of the Gray's fought in the Indians Wars and it
        is possible that the land they were able to Homestead was a gift from
        President Andrew Jackson for their help in that effort.

        Now for some specific help! My husband has a WebPage:
        http://edge.net/`jwbrown This is a major work-almost 30,000 names of our
        combined families. He has all our current information on the Gray's in my
        lineage back to Isaac Gray. Look for his son, Jefferson, his grandson's
        James Monroe (my grandfather) and his brother Charlie Gray, my mother,
        Myrtle Bert tine Gray Headrick, myself, Ruby Headrick Brown, my son, David
        Brown, and his sons Jeffrey and Kevin. I believe that Isaac Gray had
        relatives who came very soon after. Isaac homesteaded two square miles of
        land at Pisgah. There is a Samuel Gray, that I don't know the relation, but
        believe they were related since he homestead the adjoining tract of land.
        My mother is still living. She is 90 and in the Scottsboro Cloverdale
        Nursing Home. She still has a fairly good memory. She remembers that some
        in her family moved across the river to the Paint Rock, AL area. There is a
        Gray's Chapel over there in that area. I'm sure they are related. I've
        heard that the church has a lot of records of the Gray's. I believe the
        Huntsville Library has access to the church records. I would love to have a
        copy of those records. Please feel free to access my husband's webpage. He
        will be very helpful. He also has an email address jwbrown@.... He is
        helping me catalog all our findings and is most helpful to all who inquire.

        Thanks for the inquiries. We are always looking for additional information.
        Let us know if you connect.
        Ruby H. Brown

        Message 3 of 15 , May 8 9:26 PM
          Hello Jim,

          You have a good name. My grandfather was James Monroe Gray (Jim). I've
          heard of the Gray connection with those in Tennessee. I don't know how to
          connect at this time. We just don't have any information prior to 1820. We
          will keep looking, and keep updating our Gray information. My husband,
          Johnnie W. Brown, has a good WebPage, http://edge.net/`jwbrown He keeps it
          fairly up-to-date. Check it out if you like. Start with Isaac Gray and his
          descendants. There are lots of them. I wish I knew more about his
          ancestors. I just sent a note to the jacksongenealogy group, you might be
          interested in.

          Please keep in touch. We've got to be cousins. I wish I could remember the
          Gray who fought on the side of the union in the Civil War. I believe he was
          from Tennessee. I believe he was a General or almost. I believe the
          Scottsboro Heritage Center has a lot of Civil War History that has something
          about him. Digging up the past is real interesting but illusive.

          Please keep in touch.

          Ruby

          I am interested in the Gray family prior to 1820 in Jackson
          County, AL.

          Do you have any information on Robert Gray who was born about 1792 in
          TN. He married Tabitha who was born in AL. They had two children in
          AL - Sarah A. Gray who was born about 1818 and William C. Gray who
          was born in Jackosn County in 1820. They moved to TN by 1821.

          Thanks,
          Jim Gray

          --- In jacksongenealogy@y..., rubyb@e... wrote:
          > Hi James,
          > I am interested in how you are connected to the Headrick family.
          My father
          > was John Henry Headrick. He lived in Pisgah, AL for over 60 years
          after
          > marrying my mother, Myrtle Bertine Gray. They had eight children.
          My
          > mother's Gray, Whisenant, and Allen connections go back to before
          AL was a
          > state. My father came from Walker County, GA where he was lived
          for several
          > years. We have quite a lot of information on these families if
          anyone is
          > interested.
          > Ruby

          Peterson
          > Texarkana,
          > Arkansas

        • Charles McCutchen

               I am interested in the Gray family prior to 1820 in Jackson
            County, AL.

            Do you have any information on Robert Gray who was born about 1792 in
            TN. He married Tabitha who was born in AL.  They had two children in
            AL - Sarah A. Gray who was born about 1818 and William C. Gray who
            was born in Jackosn County in 1820.  They moved to TN by 1821.

            Thanks,
              Jim Gray

            --- In jacksongenealogy@y..., rubyb@e... wrote:
            > Hi James,
            > I am interested in how you are connected to the Headrick family.
            My father
            > was John Henry Headrick.  He lived in Pisgah, AL for over 60 years
            after
            > marrying my mother, Myrtle Bertine Gray.  They had eight children.
            My
            > mother's Gray, Whisenant, and Allen connections go back to before
            AL was a
            > state.  My father came from Walker County, GA where he was lived
            for several
            > years.  We have quite a lot of information on these families if
            anyone is
            > interested.
            > Ruby

            Peterson
            >                                                           Texarkana,
            > Arkansas

            Do You Yahoo!?
            Yahoo! Auctions - Click and bid on cool stuff like Dave Matthews Band Tickets & more!

          • debphillips161
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 22, 2005
              Clay- I know I am new to this board but I will be happy to help with
              look-ups. I do not want to double up on any one search so what/which
              would you like for me to do? Debbie
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 22, 2005
                Debbie

                Answer any census and marriage lookups that come
                in during the day.

                Thanks for the offer to help out during this
                difficult time.