campbell

  • maryk774
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2008
      Still searching for campbells. I don't know if the Campbells in
      Jackson Co are some of mine. I have been scanning the census records
      for 1840 for the state of Alabama hoping to find a clue about my line
      of Campbells. The last census I have showing them is the 1850 Saline
      Co Arkansas census that shows three of the Campbells born in SC and
      two born in AL. The AR census shows James Campbell age 36?/56? b SC,
      Susan Campbell age 24 b SC(married a Henry in AR), James L. Campbell
      age 22 b SC (married Jane Corbin in AR), Samuel P(ickens)Campbell age
      19 b AL (married Francis Ann Hand in AR), and Elizabeth Campbell age
      17 b AL(married George Shelton in AR). Another Campbell descendent
      thinks that the older James' age is 56 (and the father of the younger
      Campbells ) although it looks like 36 on the census; shows him to be
      a widow. I am searching other counties in AL and have looked at Bibb
      Co although most of my thoughts are just that - thoughts. Seems a
      lot of people left Bibb Co in the early 1840s headed to AR because of
      the land crisis at that time in AL. They traveled the "old salt"
      trail into LA and then north to AR settling in Saline County
      Arkansas. I can't get any further back than the 1850 Saline Co AR
      census on this family of Campbells. If I can just rule out the
      Jackson Co Campbells as part of this family, that will close one door
      and I can focus on the other counties. Thank you. Kay
    • Leann Bradford
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 7, 2008
        Yes, you can rule out the Jackson Co. Campbell's....LeAnn