Bingham Mountain - Terraserva May Location

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1 6:16 PM
      Bingham Mountain is located just North of Garth and Northwest of Trenton in the Paint Rock Valley off County RD 65 rom the Terraserver map. I did not see a Gilmore Springs but a lot of the springs running off the mountain on topo map aren't labeled.

      Webb Hollow is just South of Paint Rock.

    • Clay Gullatt
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1 6:18 PM
        Make that terraserver map location.

        Bingham Mountain is located just North of Garth and Northwest of Trenton in the Paint Rock Valley off County RD 65 rom the Terraserver map. I did not see a Gilmore Springs but a lot of the springs running off the mountain on topo map aren't labeled.

        Webb Hollow is just South of Paint Rock.

      • Jerry Birchfield
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2 11:15 AM
          Clay,
          Thanks for your info on Bingham Mountain!! I thought that he was
          talking about the town of Paint Rock, not Paint Rock River.

          I have a map of Jackson County in PDF fromat that shows the
          location of all the cemeteries with a number reference, but the
          information that is with it is for Blount County. Do you have a copy
          of this map with the right information or know the web site that the
          map is from. Gilmore Springs Cemetery is not listed in the Jackson
          County Cemeteries list.

          Does anyone know for sure the correct location for the Gilmore
          Springs Cemetery?

          Info for my family members buried there (gggrand parents) from the
          Gilmore Springs Cemetery listing:

          William Jordan Anderson Susan Kennamer Anderson
          Born ca 1825 Born ca 1823
          Died after 1853 Died after 1853

          Susan Kennamer Anderson and her husband, William Jordan Anderson, who
          died one hour after Susan, are buried here in the same grave. They
          were survived by at least 5 children, possibly more.

          I have info on 3 of the children: John Bartee(Bartlett) Anderson/Mary
          Thomas Wilhelms (my link), Mary Nancy Anderson/John Jacob Jones, Levi
          Anderson/Mary Louise Rousseau. Never able to find info on Martha or
          Manirvy J. Anderson.

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt
          <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

          > Make that terraserver map location.

          Location
          > To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
          > Date: Friday, August 1, 2008, 9:16 PM
          >

          > Bingham Mountain is located just North of Garth and Northwest of
          Trenton in the Paint Rock Valley off County RD 65 rom the Terraserver
          map. I did not see a Gilmore Springs but a lot of the springs running
          off the mountain on topo map aren't labeled.

          > Webb Hollow is just South of Paint Rock.
          >
          > Clay

        • Jerry Birchfield
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2 11:29 AM
            Clay,
            The map was Produced by the Dept. of Geography
            College of Arts and Sciences, The University of Alabama

            Jerry

            <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

            > Make that terraserver map location.

          • Clay Gullatt
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2 12:15 PM
              Jerry

              I posted that map at the Group Home website, keeping meaning to order the map for Jackson County that will have the list for cemeteries that are in Jackson Co. Got the order form just have not got around to ordering it yet.

              You can order the maps for each county at $5.00 each and $3.00 for each additional county or a full atlas for $60.00 includes postage and handling.  Historical Atlas of Alabama Vol II, Cemetery Locations by County.

              Cartographic Research Laboratory
              Department of Geography
              Box 870322
              Tuscaloosa, AL 35487

              You can download an order form at their website.

              <blackcloud27030@ ...> wrote:

              > Make that terraserver map location.

            • my_nana93309
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2 12:32 PM
                When my husband and I visited Paint Rock in March we were shown an
                area across the Paint Rock River (which we couldn't cross) opposite
                from the Keel Mtn and the town, and were told that on the other side
                was where the Gilmore Springs Cemetery had been located. Supposedly
                this cemetery has since been plowed over.

                However, recently someone allowed me to borrow the book Paint Rock
                Valley Pioneers by Henshaw, Rochelle, and Shaver which states that
                the location for the Gilmore Springs Cemetery is " in Township 4
                South, Range 3 East, Section 32, 1 mile sourth of Paint Rock in Webb
                Hollow."

                Which location is correct?

                pat
                bakersfield, ca

                --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Birchfield"
                <jwbirchfield@...> wrote:

                > Clay,
                > Thanks for your info on Bingham Mountain!! I thought that he
                was
                > talking about the town of Paint Rock, not Paint Rock River.
                >
                > I have a map of Jackson County in PDF fromat that shows the
                > location of all the cemeteries with a number reference, but the
                > information that is with it is for Blount County. Do you have a
                copy
                > of this map with the right information or know the web site that
                the
                > map is from. Gilmore Springs Cemetery is not listed in the Jackson
                > County Cemeteries list.
                >
                > Does anyone know for sure the correct location for the Gilmore
                > Springs Cemetery?

                > Info for my family members buried there (gggrand parents) from
                the
                > Gilmore Springs Cemetery listing:
                >
                > William Jordan Anderson Susan Kennamer Anderson
                > Born ca 1825 Born ca 1823
                > Died after 1853 Died after 1853
                >
                > Susan Kennamer Anderson and her husband, William Jordan Anderson,
                who
                > died one hour after Susan, are buried here in the same grave. They
                > were survived by at least 5 children, possibly more.

                > I have info on 3 of the children: John Bartee(Bartlett)
                Anderson/Mary
                > Thomas Wilhelms (my link), Mary Nancy Anderson/John Jacob Jones,
                Levi
                > Anderson/Mary Louise Rousseau. Never able to find info on Martha
                or
                > Manirvy J. Anderson.
                >

                > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Clay Gullatt
                > <blackcloud27030@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Make that terraserver map location.

              • Janet Wright
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 2 1:01 PM
                  Hi, For those of you who use Google Earth, I just posted to the group
                  files a little .kml file of Jackson County cemetery locations. The
                  data for this file comes from the USGS Geographic Names Information
                  Server. I just downloaded the locations and turned them into a Google-
                  Earth data file. It has been a good help to me. However it doesn't
                  have all the little family cemeteries, and it may not have all
                  cemeteries that are associated with a church. The USGS site doesn't
                  always list cemeteries separate from churches.

                  Janet Wright

                  On Aug 2, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Clay Gullatt wrote:

                  > Jerry
                  >
                  > I posted that map at the Group Home website, keeping meaning to
                  > order the map for Jackson County that will have the list for
                  > cemeteries that are in Jackson Co. Got the order form just have not
                  > got around to ordering it yet.
                  >
                  > You can order the maps for each county at $5.00 each and $3.00 for
                  > each additional county or a full atlas for $60.00 includes postage
                  > and handling. Historical Atlas of Alabama Vol II, Cemetery
                  > Locations by County.
                  >
                  > Cartographic Research Laboratory
                  > Department of Geography
                  > Box 870322
                  > Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
                  >
                  > You can download an order form at their website.
                  >
                  > Clay

                • Jerry Birchfield
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 2 5:01 PM
                    The link disappeared after opening and I was not able to open the
                    file in Google Earth.

                    Jerry

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Janet Wright <j.wright@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi, For those of you who use Google Earth, I just posted to the
                    group
                    > files a little .kml file of Jackson County cemetery locations.
                    The
                    > data for this file comes from the USGS Geographic Names
                    Information
                    > Server. I just downloaded the locations and turned them into a
                    Google-
                    > Earth data file. It has been a good help to me. However it
                    doesn't
                    > have all the little family cemeteries, and it may not have all
                    > cemeteries that are associated with a church. The USGS site
                    doesn't
                    > always list cemeteries separate from churches.
                    >
                    > Janet Wright
                    >
                    > On Aug 2, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Clay Gullatt wrote:
                    >
                    > > Jerry
                    > >
                    > > I posted that map at the Group Home website, keeping meaning to
                    > > order the map for Jackson County that will have the list for
                    > > cemeteries that are in Jackson Co. Got the order form just have
                    not
                    > > got around to ordering it yet.
                    > >
                    > > You can order the maps for each county at $5.00 each and $3.00
                    for
                    > > each additional county or a full atlas for $60.00 includes
                    postage
                    > > and handling. Historical Atlas of Alabama Vol II, Cemetery
                    > > Locations by County.
                    > >
                    > > Cartographic Research Laboratory
                    > > Department of Geography
                    > > Box 870322
                    > > Tuscaloosa, AL 35487
                    > >
                    > > You can download an order form at their website.
                    > >
                    > > Clay

                  • Janet Wright
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 2 5:12 PM
                      The Jackson County Cemetery files

                      I'm not sure what the problem is that you're describing, but this
                      should work:
                      Click on Files
                      Click on JacksonALCem.kml to download the file by that name.
                      Now open Google Earth, and from inside Google Earth, open the file you
                      just downloaded.
                      You'll see several dozen "thumbtacks" on the map in Jackson County -
                      zoom in for exact locations of the cemeteries.

                      I just tried this and it worked.

                      If anyone finds this useful, I can do it for other counties too.

                      Janet