Bingham Mountain

  • shadow84797
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
      Does anyone know who lived on or owned Bingham Mountain near Paint
      Rock, Al. There appear's to be several graves, I would like to know who
      they are, they are marked with rocks only. Thank You
    • Jerry Birchfield
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "shadow84797"
        <shadow84797@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know who lived on or owned Bingham Mountain near Paint
        > Rock, Al. There appear's to be several graves, I would like to know
        who
        > they are, they are marked with rocks only. Thank You

        Could this be the Gilmore Springs cemetery in Webb Hollow? If it is,
        here is a listing for those buried there:

        Lettie Sulenger (only tombstone)
        G. L. Sulenger

        Augustus Tipton
        Mary Catherine (Kennamore/Kennamer) tipton

        Priscilla Whitaker Keel

        William Anderson
        Susan Kennamer Anderson

        I have additional info on all these individuals if any are of
        interest!!!
      • my_nana93309
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
          I had heard that the cemetery at Gilmore Springs has long since been
          plowed over for fields. If there are still rocks marking graves I
          would very much like to know more about this as I am a descendant of
          Pricilla Whitaker Keel who was buried there.

          Any information would be appreciated. pat

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Birchfield"
          <jwbirchfield@...> wrote:

          > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "shadow84797"
          > <shadow84797@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Does anyone know who lived on or owned Bingham Mountain near
          Paint
          > > Rock, Al. There appear's to be several graves, I would like to
          know
          > who
          > > they are, they are marked with rocks only. Thank You
          > >
          > Could this be the Gilmore Springs cemetery in Webb Hollow? If it
          is,
          > here is a listing for those buried there:
          >
          > Lettie Sulenger (only tombstone)
          > G. L. Sulenger
          >
          > Augustus Tipton
          > Mary Catherine (Kennamore/Kennamer) tipton
          >
          > Priscilla Whitaker Keel
          >
          > William Anderson
          > Susan Kennamer Anderson
          >
          > I have additional info on all these individuals if any are of
          > interest!!!

        • Jerry Birchfield
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
            I have not been to the cemetery myself, the information I have comes
            from a copy of an old book on cemeteries. The individual who
            reported this information was taken to the cemetery by one Vivian
            Staples and the Anderson information was given by one Hilda Anderson
            McFarlen (my link, gggrandparents). Vivian Staples is listed as
            being 86 years old and living? in Paint Rock.

            All information I have on the cemetery states that the cemetery is
            located in the woods above Gilmore Springs in Webb Hollow. This may
            not be correct!!! My family lived near the springs in Webb Hollow
            when I was born, that is where they got their water. I have lived in
            Southern California for over 40 years, but I make frequent visits to
            the area and know most of the area very well. I had heard of Bingham
            Mountain, but do not know it's exact location. I have also heard
            some hint that the cemetery was located across Paint Rock River in a
            field as you stated. This would mean that the name of the springs in
            Webb Hollow is not Gilmore Springs. If Vivian Staples is still
            alive, she may be able to give you the exact location.

            This is all the information given for Priscilla Whitaker Keel:
            Born ca 1784
            Died ca 1870

            When Priscilla Whitaker Keel died, the weather was so cold and the
            mountain road so icy that she could not be taken back to Keel
            Mountain to be buried by her husband, Jesse Keel.

            You probably have more information than this, if Priscilla is a
            direct relative. I have no direct link to the Keels, except through
            marriage of the Kennamers to Moses Keel (Susan's sisters).

            If you get additional information on the cemetery would be
            appreciated.

            Jerry

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "my_nana93309" <psmith@...>

          • sonora_1@adelphia.net
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
              If this is the place I'm thinking about, Thomas Bingham and his family lived on Bingham's Mountain. I read in a book about cemeteries around Paint Rock, that there were no markers left. Thomas Bingham was my ggg grandfather. He came to Paint Rock in about 1830 and lived there until his death in 1890. He was 101 when he died according to his obituary. My daughter and I visited the area in the fall of 2006. We drove up to Bingham Mountain, but when we saw the sign about "no trespassing" we didn't go any further. Did you see the actual grave site?

              Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

              Pam Bingham Brummell
              ---- shadow84797 <shadow84797@...> wrote:
              > Does anyone know who lived on or owned Bingham Mountain near Paint
              > Rock, Al. There appear's to be several graves, I would like to know who
              > they are, they are marked with rocks only. Thank You

            • Kathy East
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
                Jerry, I know the one your yalking about, this is not the one...ty for your info. and intrest

                                                                         Kathy

                wrote:

                > I had heard that the cemetery at Gilmore Springs has long since
                been
                > plowed over for fields. If there are still rocks marking graves I
                > would very much like to know more about this as I am a descendant
                of
                > Pricilla Whitaker Keel who was buried there.
                >
                > Any information would be appreciated. pat
                >
                > --- In jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "Jerry Birchfield"
                > <jwbirchfield@ > wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "shadow84797"
                > > <shadow84797@ > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Does anyone know who lived on or owned Bingham Mountain near
                > Paint
                > > > Rock, Al. There appear's to be several graves, I would like to
                > know
                > > who
                > > > they are, they are marked with rocks only. Thank You
                > > >
                > > Could this be the Gilmore Springs cemetery in Webb Hollow? If it
                > is,
                > > here is a listing for those buried there:
                > >
                > > Lettie Sulenger (only tombstone)
                > > G. L. Sulenger
                > >
                > > Augustus Tipton
                > > Mary Catherine (Kennamore/Kennamer ) tipton
                > >
                > > Priscilla Whitaker Keel
                > >
                > > William Anderson
                > > Susan Kennamer Anderson
                > >
                > > I have additional info on all these individuals if any are of
                > > interest!!!

              • Karen Gipson
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
                  I to would like to have information on Priscilla Whitaker Keel as I am also a descendant of hers through Irene, her daughter.

                  Thanks

                  Karen Moss Gipson

                  <jwbirchfield@...> wrote:

                  > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "shadow84797"
                  > <shadow84797@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Does anyone know who lived on or owned Bingham Mountain near
                  Paint
                  > > Rock, Al. There appear's to be several graves, I would like to
                  know
                  > who
                  > > they are, they are marked with rocks only. Thank You
                  > >
                  > Could this be the Gilmore Springs cemetery in Webb Hollow? If it
                  is,
                  > here is a listing for those buried there:
                  >
                  > Lettie Sulenger (only tombstone)
                  > G. L. Sulenger
                  >
                  > Augustus Tipton
                  > Mary Catherine (Kennamore/Kennamer) tipton
                  >
                  > Priscilla Whitaker Keel
                  >
                  > William Anderson
                  > Susan Kennamer Anderson
                  >
                  > I have additional info on all these individuals if any are of
                  > interest!!!

                • my_nana93309
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 1, 2008
                    The book Paint Rock Valley Pioneers by Henshaw, Rochelle, and Shaver
                    list two Bingham Cemeteries. One "is located in Township 3 South,
                    Range 3 East, Section 25 in Bingham Cove, at the foot of Bingham
                    Mountain. on a logging road about 1/8 mile north of the Lewis Bingham
                    place and about 1 mile northwest of Trenton." There are 12 to 13
                    graves there.

                    The other "cemetery is located in Township 3 South, Range 3 East,
                    Section 23 NW1/4 on Bingham Mountain." It is listed as Moon Cemetery
                    on the TVA topo maps, with "40-50 graves."

                    Could either of these be the one you have found?

                    Will gives names of known burials if desired.

                    pat

                    ps If anyone knows where I could purchase a copy of this book please
                    let me know. Contact me at my personal email my_nana93309@...

                    <shadow84797@...> wrote:

                    > Does anyone know who lived on or owned Bingham Mountain near Paint
                    > Rock, Al. There appear's to be several graves, I would like to know
                    who
                    > they are, they are marked with rocks only. Thank You

                  • Jennie Lee Cabler
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                      Jerry,

                      I'm a bit late getting to these emails re Vivian Staples, Bingham
                      Mountain, Priscilla Whitaker Keel, etc. Want to thank you for the
                      info. I am a descendant of Priscilla Whitaker Keel.

                      My mother is 92 years old and a native of the town of Paint Rock. Her
                      maiden name is Popejoy. She knew Vivian Webb Staples when they were
                      growing up in Paint Rock. Vivian is younger than Mother, but Mother
                      doesn't know if she is still living. Mother said that Webb Hollow is
                      not across Paint Rock River and the name of the springs there is
                      Gilmore Springs. She is not familiar with that cemetery, but she said
                      she didn't go there much.

                      If anyone has questions you would like me to ask my mother, I will do
                      so. Her mind is still very good.

                      Jennie Lee
                    • Kyle Davenport
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                        Hi Jennie,

                        If you could ask your mom I would appreciate it. I would like to
                        talk to anyone who might remember or have info about my
                        great-grandfather's church services. Rev. William (Willie) T Hall was a
                        baptist minister who lived 1868-1940. He lived along Larkin's Fork in
                        northwest Jackson county. I believe he was the minister at various
                        places, like Hall's Chapel, and in Huntland and Bridgeport.

                        This is from his obit:
                        "Rev William T Hall was instrumental in organizing several churches
                        in rural districts that were not reached by other churches, and it was
                        through his active work and contribution both in time and money that the
                        Huntland Tennessee Baptist Church was built.
                        He was a beloved man especially by the many hundreds of families in
                        which he had tenderly ministered during their sorrows, or had baptized
                        their members or united in marriage the happy couples in his charges.
                        He had done a life work worthy of emulation, and his memory will be
                        preserved in the hearts of thousands of grateful people.
                        Funeral services were held at Freedom Baptist Church July 3, 1940
                        for Rev. Hall. Masonic rites were read by W[illiam] H [arvey] Hall,
                        worshipful master of the Princeton Alabama Lodge, and son of the Rev Hall."

                        Thanks,
                        Kyle

                      • cagle8185@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                          Is this Halls Chapel on Larkin Fork?

                          Bill Cagle

                          Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                        • cagle8185@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                            I am sure Rev. Hall new Joe V. Cagle who lived a few miles to the north. If
                            you type in Francisco Alabama on the net you will see J.V.Cagle mentioned
                            and his church building efforts in the area. He was my ggrandfather.

                            Bill Cagle

                            Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                          • Eulonda Owens
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                              Jennie Lee,

                              Could you please ask your Mother if she remembers any of the GOLD family who lived in the area? Thank you so much.
                              Katherine Owens

                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 2, 2008
                                Hi Bill,

                                I'm sure he did! I remember my great aunt Lennis Hall (Willie's
                                daughter) say they lived in Francisco a while.

                                Kyle

                              • cagle8185@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 3, 2008
                                  Does the old Willie Hall place now belong to the J.T. Miller family? This
                                  would be where Bear Creek joins Larkin Fork.

                                  Bill

                                  Read reviews on AOL Autos.

                                • shadow84797
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 10, 2008

                                    I took a trip to Bingham Mountain and stopped at Moon Cematery and
                                    took pictures.Below is the names of people with tomb stones.

                                    Johnson, Eugene
                                    B: 4 June 1941
                                    D: 11 Feb 1942
                                    Son of William and Pearl Johnson

                                    Osmar, John
                                    1895
                                    only date

                                    Osmer, ola
                                    1905 - 1941

                                    Osmer, Ophelia Anna
                                    1825 - 1915

                                    Moon, Alice Osmer

                                    Sanders Ben
                                    12 Feb 1935 Father

                                    If anyone is intrested in pictures please contact me at
                                    shadow84797@...
                                  • Jewel Casey
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 10, 2008
                                      Just reading your message and happy to see one marker that wasn't recorded in "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers"
                                      Johnson, Eugene
                                      B: 4 June 1941
                                      D: 11 Feb 1942
                                      Son of William and Pearl Johnson

                                      Thanks.

                                      Do you mind if I show some that you did not see that were reported in the book that have possibly been destroyed or that you just couldn't see?

                                      Elonzo Bingham
                                      Oct. 13, 1888
                                      Aug 6, 1941

                                      Alice Osmer Moon "Mother" the date Mar. 3, 1917 "Death Date

                                      One grave with footmarker- "Brother"
                                      This is grave of Lewis Moon, one year old grave son of Alice Osmer and James O. Moon

                                      Alice Osmer Moon's husband, James O. Moon, is buried in Latham (Guerin) Cemetery on Clear Creek Road. At the time of his death the weather was so bad that he could not be taken back to Bingham Mountain to buried by his wife.

                                      UNMARKED GRAVES
                                      Tommy Moon
                                      Brother of James Oakley Moon
                                      Died single

                                      Infant child of Dells and William Bailey

                                      George, Bob and Richard McElyea and other members of the McElyea family, including Ellen McElyea who is buried in a "box" tomb.

                                      Frances C. Allen, wife of Charles B. Brewer
                                      Married June 17, 1862-died before 1912

                                      Thanks a million for checking the Moon (Bingham) Cemetery. There were 40 to 50 graves reported with sandstone rock markers only- no inscriptions when the "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" book was published years ago by Kittye Vandiver Henshaw, Evelyn Smith Rochelle and Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver. Such wonderful and true pioneers.

                                      Jewel