Correction on Walker; also Cobb

  • robert_s_63134
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 25, 2008
      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "macatjax" <mjohns039@...>
      wrote:
      Hi!

      Thanks for the reply. After a little more looking, I finally
      deciphered the name that I thought was Walker. It was J. T. Falcher
      or Fulcher. Th 'F' was all but indecipherable until I saw the 'F' in
      Fort Mitchell. The signature might have been that of Jefferson
      Fulcher or Falcher.

      One other surname which I missed was that of Wm. W. Cobb. In 1850,
      Cobb swore that Liddon was a justice of the peace. Every other
      surnmae stands.

      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "robert_s_63134"
      > <robert_s_63134@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi!
      > >
      > > I just received the land bounty application papers for Griffin
      > > Keith. Griffin Keith was a resident of Jackson County, AL. He
      can
      > > be found in the 1840 census. I cannot find his name in 1850.
      > >
      > > The bounty was for service in the Florida War. His service was as
      > > private in the company commanded by Capt. Stephen Armstrong in
      the
      > > regiment of North Alabama Mounted Volunteers commanded by Col.
      > > Benjamin Snodgrass. He volunteered at Bellefonte on 26, October,
      > > 1837. He served just under six months, being discharged at Ft.
      > > Mitchell, AL on 14 April, 1838. He swore to his service before
      > > William A. Liddon, justice of the peace. Griffin Keith could not
      > > write his name.
      > >
      > > It appears that he first made an application under the act of
      1850,
      > > received his grant and sold it. He then made an application
      under
      > > the act of 1855. There are two documents sworn in 1850. One
      > dated
      > > 27 November, 1850, sworn before William A. Liddon. Griffin swore
      > > that his age was 45 years and 10 months, a resident of Jackson
      > > County, AL. The second page was dated November 27, 1850. It
      > > requested examination of his claim. The letter was witnessed by
      C.
      > > A. Robinson and by J. Walker. (Not entirely sure about 'Walker.')
      > >
      > > There are two documents sworn in 1855. One dated March 27,
      1855.
      > It
      > > was sworn before A. McCoy, Justice of the Peace and J.G. Dixon,
      > > justice of the peace. Griffin Keith gave power of attorney to
      Wm.
      > H.
      > > Robinson. He also stated that he was a resident of Jackson
      County,
      > > AL. The second page was dated 27 November, 1855. This paper
      > states
      > > that Griffin made application for land under the act of 1850, but
      > > legally disposed of it. The warrant number is unknown. He is
      now
      > > requesting land under the act of 1855. This paper was signed by
      > > Anderson McCoy, witnessed by G.W. Keith and Jeremiah Arnold.
      G.W.