Re: [jacksongenealogy] lookup request for Hall

  • Kyle Davenport
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
      I'm pretty sure I am. Hall Chapel is just down the road from where
      Willie Hall once lived. I have a photo of the First Baptist Church of
      Bridgeport, so i know he eventually preached there. I think he comes
      from a long line of ministers - how old is Hall's Chapel?

      William T Hall was a Baptist minister and my great-grandfather. He was
      John Wayne Hall's grandfather.

      Kyle

      cagle8185@... wrote:

      > Are you related to the Halls at Hall's Chapel?
      >
      > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
      > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
      > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002
      > <http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002>)

    • Joetta Waldrop
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 4, 2008
        A very big thank you for all of your suggestions! I I might be able to knock down some brick walls.

        I use to could say "I have family from Birmingham northward". I am beginning to suspect that they loved Alabama so much that they went from state line to state line in all four directions. It would not be a big of a problem if it was just one branch of the family tree.

        Both of my Grandparents' families came from Alabama. Grandmother's family seemed to love the Tennessee-Alabama state line counties (on both sides) but they did branch out some, in both directions. Grandfather's side came from Georgia, toured Alabama with family settling down along the way, and then my branch came to Tennessee. And then I wind up living less than 10 miles from the Tennessee-Kentucky state line.

        Again thank you everybody for your help. I know now who to turn to when I have a genealogy question.

        Joetta

      • clswagler@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
          Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book), Thomas is not listed.

          I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this would put his date of death prior to that date.

          I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), I couldn't even see a stone.

          I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.

          Cindy

          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
            Hi Chuck, My daughter and I took pictures of Hugh and Dona Haswell's graves for you last year. I volunteered to take pictures around Jackson County for anybody on Jacksongenealogy. If you need directions to the City Cemetery or another picture I live in Stevenson and I would be happy to help you. If anybody else needs pictures from the Cemeteries in Bridgeport or Stevenson I don't mind taking them. Gina

            ---- clswagler@... wrote:
            > Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book), Thomas is not listed.
            >
            > I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this would put his date of death prior to that date.
            >
            > I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), I couldn't even see a stone.
            >
            > I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.
            >
            > Cindy

          • nettiebau1952
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
              Gina and Chuck, I will be in Alabama in late June or early July. I am
              working on the Kirbys now and had planned to find and photograph both
              of these cemeteries. The only time I have been in the Kirby-Parks
              Cemetery on Backbone Ridge, it was hard to get to. They were logging
              and using the road that runs by the cemetery as access. We had to
              park a ways out and walk in. There are also Kirby graves near the
              first hole on the Scottsboro Country Club golf course. My husband
              remembers them from when he used to cut crowfoot out of the greens
              when he was 12 years old. He says he can find them again. So, I will
              be looking for and photographing the Kirby Cemeteries soon, and I
              pretty much know where they are. If you can wait a few weeks, I will
              be there anyway. I have no idea of Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd
              Kirby are buried there.

              Annette Bradford

            • zrcb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                Cindy
                I would appreciate it you would take a picture of Hugh Haswell and Donna
                Haswells graves for me. I think their graves are in Stenson City cemetery.

                Let know how much they will cost. My address is
                Charles Boyd
                8617 S 78th Ct
                Justice Ill 60458
                Thank you Chuck

                Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

              • purplecraze38@charter.net
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                  Hi Annette, Please let me know when you get in town, I would love to see your work on the Bradford's. See ya, Gina

                • Joe Burt
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 8, 2008
                    Do you have a Frank Kirby in your data base? He married Grace Word in
                    about 1930.
                    JaNelle

                    nettiebau1952 wrote:

                    > Gina and Chuck, I will be in Alabama in late June or early July. I am
                    > working on the Kirbys now and had planned to find and photograph both
                    > of these cemeteries. The only time I have been in the Kirby-Parks
                    > Cemetery on Backbone Ridge, it was hard to get to. They were logging
                    > and using the road that runs by the cemetery as access. We had to
                    > park a ways out and walk in. There are also Kirby graves near the
                    > first hole on the Scottsboro Country Club golf course. My husband
                    > remembers them from when he used to cut crowfoot out of the greens
                    > when he was 12 years old. He says he can find them again. So, I will
                    > be looking for and photographing the Kirby Cemeteries soon, and I
                    > pretty much know where they are. If you can wait a few weeks, I will
                    > be there anyway. I have no idea of Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd
                    > Kirby are buried there.
                    >
                    > Annette Bradford
                    >
                    > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, <purplecraze38@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Chuck, My daughter and I took pictures of Hugh and Dona
                    > Haswell's graves for you last year. I volunteered to take pictures
                    > around Jackson County for anybody on Jacksongenealogy. If you need
                    > directions to the City Cemetery or another picture I live in
                    > Stevenson and I would be happy to help you. If anybody else needs
                    > pictures from the Cemeteries in Bridgeport or Stevenson I don't mind
                    > taking them. Gina
                    > >
                    > > ---- clswagler@... wrote:
                    > > > Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle
                    > Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that
                    > Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an
                    > unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried
                    > there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list
                    > of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book),
                    > Thomas is not listed.
                    > > >
                    > > > I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt
                    > from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby
                    > against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this
                    > would put his date of death prior to that date.
                    > > >
                    > > > I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it
                    > was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the
                    > smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?
                    > cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up
                    > the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This
                    > was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone
                    > because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years
                    > ago), I couldn't even see a stone.
                    > > >
                    > > > I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a
                    > photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.
                    > > >
                    > > > Cindy

                  • Annette Bradford
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 21, 2008
                      I have asked around and checked the documents that I have and have found no information on this family. Sorry. Three are still many Kirbys in Scottsboro today. Annette