Re: [jacksongenealogy] lookup request for Hall

  • zrcb@aol.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
      Cindy
      This Chuck Boyd. Did you find out any more About Thomas JH Kirby and
      Belle Boyd Kirby. There was someone who said they had pictures of Thomas Sylas
      Kirby. But when I ask if they would part with a copy I would pay for it.
      That was the last I heard from them. I am also looking for burials on Hugh
      Haswell and Dona Haswell they are buried in Stevenson City cemetery. I you do
      find them please tell me how to.
      Thank You
      Chuck

      Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

    • Kyle Davenport
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
        I'm pretty sure I am. Hall Chapel is just down the road from where
        Willie Hall once lived. I have a photo of the First Baptist Church of
        Bridgeport, so i know he eventually preached there. I think he comes
        from a long line of ministers - how old is Hall's Chapel?

        William T Hall was a Baptist minister and my great-grandfather. He was
        John Wayne Hall's grandfather.

        Kyle

        cagle8185@... wrote:

        > Are you related to the Halls at Hall's Chapel?
        >
        > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
        > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
        > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002
        > <http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002>)

      • Joetta Waldrop
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 4, 2008
          A very big thank you for all of your suggestions! I I might be able to knock down some brick walls.

          I use to could say "I have family from Birmingham northward". I am beginning to suspect that they loved Alabama so much that they went from state line to state line in all four directions. It would not be a big of a problem if it was just one branch of the family tree.

          Both of my Grandparents' families came from Alabama. Grandmother's family seemed to love the Tennessee-Alabama state line counties (on both sides) but they did branch out some, in both directions. Grandfather's side came from Georgia, toured Alabama with family settling down along the way, and then my branch came to Tennessee. And then I wind up living less than 10 miles from the Tennessee-Kentucky state line.

          Again thank you everybody for your help. I know now who to turn to when I have a genealogy question.

          Joetta

        • clswagler@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
            Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book), Thomas is not listed.

            I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this would put his date of death prior to that date.

            I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), I couldn't even see a stone.

            I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.

          • purplecraze38@charter.net
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
              Hi Chuck, My daughter and I took pictures of Hugh and Dona Haswell's graves for you last year. I volunteered to take pictures around Jackson County for anybody on Jacksongenealogy. If you need directions to the City Cemetery or another picture I live in Stevenson and I would be happy to help you. If anybody else needs pictures from the Cemeteries in Bridgeport or Stevenson I don't mind taking them. Gina

              ---- clswagler@... wrote:
              > Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book), Thomas is not listed.
              >
              > I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this would put his date of death prior to that date.
              >
              > I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), I couldn't even see a stone.
              >
              > I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.
              >
              > Cindy

            • nettiebau1952
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                Gina and Chuck, I will be in Alabama in late June or early July. I am
                working on the Kirbys now and had planned to find and photograph both
                of these cemeteries. The only time I have been in the Kirby-Parks
                Cemetery on Backbone Ridge, it was hard to get to. They were logging
                and using the road that runs by the cemetery as access. We had to
                park a ways out and walk in. There are also Kirby graves near the
                first hole on the Scottsboro Country Club golf course. My husband
                remembers them from when he used to cut crowfoot out of the greens
                when he was 12 years old. He says he can find them again. So, I will
                be looking for and photographing the Kirby Cemeteries soon, and I
                pretty much know where they are. If you can wait a few weeks, I will
                be there anyway. I have no idea of Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd
                Kirby are buried there.

                Annette Bradford

              • zrcb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                  Cindy
                  I would appreciate it you would take a picture of Hugh Haswell and Donna
                  Haswells graves for me. I think their graves are in Stenson City cemetery.

                  Let know how much they will cost. My address is
                  Charles Boyd
                  8617 S 78th Ct
                  Justice Ill 60458
                  Thank you Chuck

                  Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                • purplecraze38@charter.net
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                    Hi Annette, Please let me know when you get in town, I would love to see your work on the Bradford's. See ya, Gina

                  • Joe Burt
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 8, 2008
                      Do you have a Frank Kirby in your data base? He married Grace Word in
                      about 1930.
                      JaNelle

                      nettiebau1952 wrote:

                      > Gina and Chuck, I will be in Alabama in late June or early July. I am
                      > working on the Kirbys now and had planned to find and photograph both
                      > of these cemeteries. The only time I have been in the Kirby-Parks
                      > Cemetery on Backbone Ridge, it was hard to get to. They were logging
                      > and using the road that runs by the cemetery as access. We had to
                      > park a ways out and walk in. There are also Kirby graves near the
                      > first hole on the Scottsboro Country Club golf course. My husband
                      > remembers them from when he used to cut crowfoot out of the greens
                      > when he was 12 years old. He says he can find them again. So, I will
                      > be looking for and photographing the Kirby Cemeteries soon, and I
                      > pretty much know where they are. If you can wait a few weeks, I will
                      > be there anyway. I have no idea of Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd
                      > Kirby are buried there.
                      >
                      > Annette Bradford
                      >
                      > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, <purplecraze38@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Chuck, My daughter and I took pictures of Hugh and Dona
                      > Haswell's graves for you last year. I volunteered to take pictures
                      > around Jackson County for anybody on Jacksongenealogy. If you need
                      > directions to the City Cemetery or another picture I live in
                      > Stevenson and I would be happy to help you. If anybody else needs
                      > pictures from the Cemeteries in Bridgeport or Stevenson I don't mind
                      > taking them. Gina
                      > >
                      > > ---- clswagler@... wrote:
                      > > > Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle
                      > Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that
                      > Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an
                      > unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried
                      > there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list
                      > of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book),
                      > Thomas is not listed.
                      > > >
                      > > > I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt
                      > from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby
                      > against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this
                      > would put his date of death prior to that date.
                      > > >
                      > > > I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it
                      > was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the
                      > smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?
                      > cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up
                      > the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This
                      > was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone
                      > because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years
                      > ago), I couldn't even see a stone.
                      > > >
                      > > > I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a
                      > photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.
                      > > >
                      > > > Cindy

                    • Annette Bradford
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 21, 2008
                        I have asked around and checked the documents that I have and have found no information on this family. Sorry. Three are still many Kirbys in Scottsboro today. Annette