Re: [jacksongenealogy] Internet resources

  • John Green
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
      Joetta,

      I live in Madison County AL, but I'm often in Scottsboro and other
      towns in Jackson County as well as Central TN. I'm retired and I don't
      mind doing look-ups for folks, but I may be a little slow getting it
      done. I don't know how I ever found time to go to work!

      John M. Green

    • Janet Wright
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008

        *****
        > On Behalf Of Joetta Waldrop
        > Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 9:14 PM
        >
        > Does anyone else have trouble finding Alabama records on the Internet
        > besides me? I have Rootsweb, Ancestry, and here. That's it. I have
        > generations living all over Alabama. I am basically hitting brick
        > walls
        > because I can not find anything online. Local records are the worst.
        > What
        > adds to the problem is I live in another state and have no money.
        >

        > Joetta

      • Karen Gipson
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
          Joettta, I live in Madison County and the local library has the indexes for the Marriage records online at http://www.co.madison.al.us/mcrc/ for 1800 to 1973.

          the Probate Judges office also has scan and has online the indexes for 1973 to current at http://www.co.madison.al.us/probate/home.shtml,
          Hope this helps you.

          Karen Moss Gipson
          > Joetta, also try the volunteers at Random Acts of Genealogical
          > Kindness (www.raogk.org). Read all the guidelines to get the best
          > results, and then send a request to the county volunteer listed
          > there (some counties don't have one). If there are copy, gas or
          > mailing costs involved, the volunteer will tell you up-front so you
          > can decide what to do. Like the people in this group, raogk
          > volunteers know their county so they can often give very good advice.

          *****
          > On Behalf Of Joetta Waldrop
          > Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 9:14 PM
          >
          > Does anyone else have trouble finding Alabama records on the Internet
          > besides me? I have Rootsweb, Ancestry, and here. That's it. I have
          > generations living all over Alabama. I am basically hitting brick
          > walls
          > because I can not find anything online. Local records are the worst.
          > What
          > adds to the problem is I live in another state and have no money.
          >

          > Joetta

        • Clay Gullatt
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
            Joetta

            One of the best resources is the Family History Centers of the LDS. There are usually a Center located not to far from most people. Go to www.familysearch.org and click on family histry centers at the top to find a Center near you and find out what they have available.. You do not need to be a member of the LDS to use the Family History Centers.

            You can also check at the usgenweb archives project and see what each county has available. Thirty two counties in Alabama have had fires at various dates so in some cases most if not all early records were lost. The ADAH has a map at their website showing which counties have had fires and when.

            I have been lucky in having some wonderful cousins in Jackson County who have done many lookups and copying old records for me. That may be another resources you would want to explore.

            Clay Gullatt
            Mount AIry NC

            Does anyone else have trouble finding Alabama records on the Internet besides me? I have Rootsweb, Ancestry, and here. That's it. I have generations living all over Alabama. I am basically hitting brick walls because I can not find anything online. Local records are the worst. What adds to the problem is I live in another state and have no money. Even interlibrary loans do not work because reference material&nbsp; is not available for interlibrary loans. Anybody got any ideas? I have yet to get what I have asked for--just lock me up in the Alabama State Archives for a week!

            &nbsp;

            Joetta

          • Kyle Davenport
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
              While everyone here is being so helpful, I have a small request.

              I have been unable to contact any of my Hall relatives. (The Hall's of
              NW Jackson County - Paint Rock Valley)

              I tracked my great aunt Alta Graham Hall to Scottboro where she died in
              Feb 1974. Her husband William Harvey Hall died in 1953. I'm hoping
              an obit might mention what became of her son John Wayne Hall b~1911

              I would surely appreciate it.

              Kyle
            • cagle8185@aol.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                Are you related to the Halls at Hall's Chapel?

                Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

              • clswagler@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Kyle - John Wayne Hall, bn 9/18/1910 and died 5/20/1987 (married to Inna Butler) is buried in the Cedar Hill Cemetery in Scottsboro.

                  Cindy

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                    Cindy
                    This Chuck Boyd. Did you find out any more About Thomas JH Kirby and
                    Belle Boyd Kirby. There was someone who said they had pictures of Thomas Sylas
                    Kirby. But when I ask if they would part with a copy I would pay for it.
                    That was the last I heard from them. I am also looking for burials on Hugh
                    Haswell and Dona Haswell they are buried in Stevenson City cemetery. I you do
                    find them please tell me how to.
                    Thank You
                    Chuck

                    Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                  • Kyle Davenport
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                      I'm pretty sure I am. Hall Chapel is just down the road from where
                      Willie Hall once lived. I have a photo of the First Baptist Church of
                      Bridgeport, so i know he eventually preached there. I think he comes
                      from a long line of ministers - how old is Hall's Chapel?

                      William T Hall was a Baptist minister and my great-grandfather. He was
                      John Wayne Hall's grandfather.

                      Kyle

                      cagle8185@... wrote:

                      > Are you related to the Halls at Hall's Chapel?
                      >
                      > **************Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with
                      > Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.
                      > (http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002
                      > <http://food.aol.com/tyler-florence?video=4?&NCID=aolfod00030000000002>)

                    • Joetta Waldrop
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 4, 2008
                        A very big thank you for all of your suggestions! I I might be able to knock down some brick walls.

                        I use to could say "I have family from Birmingham northward". I am beginning to suspect that they loved Alabama so much that they went from state line to state line in all four directions. It would not be a big of a problem if it was just one branch of the family tree.

                        Both of my Grandparents' families came from Alabama. Grandmother's family seemed to love the Tennessee-Alabama state line counties (on both sides) but they did branch out some, in both directions. Grandfather's side came from Georgia, toured Alabama with family settling down along the way, and then my branch came to Tennessee. And then I wind up living less than 10 miles from the Tennessee-Kentucky state line.

                        Again thank you everybody for your help. I know now who to turn to when I have a genealogy question.

                        Joetta

                      • clswagler@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                          Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book), Thomas is not listed.

                          I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this would put his date of death prior to that date.

                          I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), I couldn't even see a stone.

                          I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.

                        • purplecraze38@charter.net
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                            Hi Chuck, My daughter and I took pictures of Hugh and Dona Haswell's graves for you last year. I volunteered to take pictures around Jackson County for anybody on Jacksongenealogy. If you need directions to the City Cemetery or another picture I live in Stevenson and I would be happy to help you. If anybody else needs pictures from the Cemeteries in Bridgeport or Stevenson I don't mind taking them. Gina

                            ---- clswagler@... wrote:
                            > Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book), Thomas is not listed.
                            >
                            > I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this would put his date of death prior to that date.
                            >
                            > I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), I couldn't even see a stone.
                            >
                            > I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.
                            >
                            > Cindy

                          • nettiebau1952
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                              Gina and Chuck, I will be in Alabama in late June or early July. I am
                              working on the Kirbys now and had planned to find and photograph both
                              of these cemeteries. The only time I have been in the Kirby-Parks
                              Cemetery on Backbone Ridge, it was hard to get to. They were logging
                              and using the road that runs by the cemetery as access. We had to
                              park a ways out and walk in. There are also Kirby graves near the
                              first hole on the Scottsboro Country Club golf course. My husband
                              remembers them from when he used to cut crowfoot out of the greens
                              when he was 12 years old. He says he can find them again. So, I will
                              be looking for and photographing the Kirby Cemeteries soon, and I
                              pretty much know where they are. If you can wait a few weeks, I will
                              be there anyway. I have no idea of Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd
                              Kirby are buried there.

                              Annette Bradford

                            • zrcb@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                                Cindy
                                I would appreciate it you would take a picture of Hugh Haswell and Donna
                                Haswells graves for me. I think their graves are in Stenson City cemetery.

                                Let know how much they will cost. My address is
                                Charles Boyd
                                8617 S 78th Ct
                                Justice Ill 60458
                                Thank you Chuck

                                Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                              • purplecraze38@charter.net
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                                  Hi Annette, Please let me know when you get in town, I would love to see your work on the Bradford's. See ya, Gina

                                • Joe Burt
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 8, 2008
                                    Do you have a Frank Kirby in your data base? He married Grace Word in
                                    about 1930.
                                    JaNelle

                                    nettiebau1952 wrote:

                                    > Gina and Chuck, I will be in Alabama in late June or early July. I am
                                    > working on the Kirbys now and had planned to find and photograph both
                                    > of these cemeteries. The only time I have been in the Kirby-Parks
                                    > Cemetery on Backbone Ridge, it was hard to get to. They were logging
                                    > and using the road that runs by the cemetery as access. We had to
                                    > park a ways out and walk in. There are also Kirby graves near the
                                    > first hole on the Scottsboro Country Club golf course. My husband
                                    > remembers them from when he used to cut crowfoot out of the greens
                                    > when he was 12 years old. He says he can find them again. So, I will
                                    > be looking for and photographing the Kirby Cemeteries soon, and I
                                    > pretty much know where they are. If you can wait a few weeks, I will
                                    > be there anyway. I have no idea of Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd
                                    > Kirby are buried there.
                                    >
                                    > Annette Bradford
                                    >
                                    > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                    > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, <purplecraze38@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Chuck, My daughter and I took pictures of Hugh and Dona
                                    > Haswell's graves for you last year. I volunteered to take pictures
                                    > around Jackson County for anybody on Jacksongenealogy. If you need
                                    > directions to the City Cemetery or another picture I live in
                                    > Stevenson and I would be happy to help you. If anybody else needs
                                    > pictures from the Cemeteries in Bridgeport or Stevenson I don't mind
                                    > taking them. Gina
                                    > >
                                    > > ---- clswagler@... wrote:
                                    > > > Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle
                                    > Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that
                                    > Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an
                                    > unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried
                                    > there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list
                                    > of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book),
                                    > Thomas is not listed.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt
                                    > from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby
                                    > against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this
                                    > would put his date of death prior to that date.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it
                                    > was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the
                                    > smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?
                                    > cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up
                                    > the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This
                                    > was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone
                                    > because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years
                                    > ago), I couldn't even see a stone.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a
                                    > photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Cindy

                                  • Annette Bradford
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 21, 2008
                                      I have asked around and checked the documents that I have and have found no information on this family. Sorry. Three are still many Kirbys in Scottsboro today. Annette