RE: [jacksongenealogy] Internet resources

  • Regina Pipes
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 1, 2008
      Have you posted any request on this web site for anything you are looking
      for? People on this list always try to help when they can. Give us some
      name, dates and places you are searching for and see what help is out there.

      Regina

      _____

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2008
        HYPERLINK "http://www.alabamagenealogy.org/"http://www.alabamagenealogy.org/

        Have you looked on this web site for Alabama Genealogy?

        Checked by AVG.
        12:25 PM

        Checked by AVG.
        12:25 PM

      • Joetta Waldrop
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2008
          I have posted here for the family that I have in Jackson County. I even found family that I didn't know that I had. My problem is Alabama in general. I can't find any resources. I just took a shot at asking here because people are so nice and helpful. I just thought maybe someone might have family in other places in Alabama. I have family all over Alabama and have been here for generations. My line is one of the few that left Alabama.

          Does anyone else have trouble finding Alabama records on the Internet
          besides me? I have Rootsweb, Ancestry, and here. That's it. I have
          generations living all over Alabama. I am basically hitting brick walls
          because I can not find anything online. Local records are the worst. What
          adds to the problem is I live in another state and have no money. Even
          interlibrary loans do not work because reference material&nbsp; -is not
          available for interlibrary loans. Anybody got any ideas? I have yet to get
          what I have asked for--just lock me up in the Alabama State Archives for a
          week!
          &nbsp;
          Joetta

          [

          Checked by AVG.
          12:25 PM

          Checked by AVG.
          12:25 PM

        • Mark Klan
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2008
            Joetta Waldrop wrote:
            > Does anyone else have trouble finding Alabama records on the Internet
            > besides me? I have Rootsweb, Ancestry, and here. That's it. I have
            > generations living all over Alabama. I am basically hitting brick walls
            > because I can not find anything online. {SNIP}

            *Most* days I look upon online search difficulties as part of the
            fun... :-)

            On Ancestry, I can reliably find Census info for 1930, 1920, 1910,
            1900, 1880, 1870, 1860, and 1850, with heads of households prior to
            that. There are some Alabama marriage records online, mostly between
            1860-1900, it seems. There are some helpful Social Security Death
            Index records for people born in the latter part of the 19th century.
            I've also found useful military info, such as WWI draft registration
            cards and WWII enlistment records. Probably my biggest problem
            online is the relative lack of Alabama marriage records, especially
            before 1860 and after 1900.

            I'd guess there are two strategies for me that have proven helpful to
            locate "difficult" people on Ancestry. One is to look at Census
            images for a wide variety of ancestors in a family group. (Just
            looking at the transcribed index often is not helpful.) Sometimes
            you can find clues from the other people in the household who may
            turn out to be aunts/uncles, etc. Also, I always look at the whole
            image, the one before it, and the one after it. It's remarkable how
            often a related family lives two doors down.

            Of course, the root of the problem lies with the recording-
            transcription. So if the real name is "Canna Mae", the census-taker
            has written it "Caner M.", and the transcribed index has it as "Canar
            M.", a standard search may not reveal it, or that record will be many
            hundreds of records down the search results. I often try multiple
            spellings for the same name, and sometimes wildcards (*). So looking
            for Womack by entering Wom* might turn up Womack, Womac, Wommac, or
            Womick, along with bunches of others. Even a search on War* has
            helped me with the Womacks.

            Just today I located what I think is my Naomi Sample(s), recorded on
            the image in 1860 Jackson County Census clearly as Nomaluka. Turns
            out that Naomi is fairly commonly recorded by census-takers as Naoma,
            Neoma, Nomer, and Noma. It now appears that Naomi was born Naomi
            Luker/Lucer Sample/Sampley, named after her grandmother Naomi
            Luker/Lucer. Go figure.

            I find the process analogous to working a box puzzle requiring 10,000
            pieces, except that the box is missing 1,000 of the pieces you need,
            but has added 2,000 pieces from unrelated puzzles mixed in to make it
            interesting... :-)

            Hope this gives you some ideas, and good luck.

            Mark
          • John Green
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
              Joetta,

              I live in Madison County AL, but I'm often in Scottsboro and other
              towns in Jackson County as well as Central TN. I'm retired and I don't
              mind doing look-ups for folks, but I may be a little slow getting it
              done. I don't know how I ever found time to go to work!

              John M. Green

            • Janet Wright
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008

                *****
                > On Behalf Of Joetta Waldrop
                > Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 9:14 PM
                >
                > Does anyone else have trouble finding Alabama records on the Internet
                > besides me? I have Rootsweb, Ancestry, and here. That's it. I have
                > generations living all over Alabama. I am basically hitting brick
                > walls
                > because I can not find anything online. Local records are the worst.
                > What
                > adds to the problem is I live in another state and have no money.
                >

                > Joetta

              • Karen Gipson
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Joettta, I live in Madison County and the local library has the indexes for the Marriage records online at http://www.co.madison.al.us/mcrc/ for 1800 to 1973.

                  the Probate Judges office also has scan and has online the indexes for 1973 to current at http://www.co.madison.al.us/probate/home.shtml,
                  Hope this helps you.

                  Karen Moss Gipson
                  > Joetta, also try the volunteers at Random Acts of Genealogical
                  > Kindness (www.raogk.org). Read all the guidelines to get the best
                  > results, and then send a request to the county volunteer listed
                  > there (some counties don't have one). If there are copy, gas or
                  > mailing costs involved, the volunteer will tell you up-front so you
                  > can decide what to do. Like the people in this group, raogk
                  > volunteers know their county so they can often give very good advice.

                  *****
                  > On Behalf Of Joetta Waldrop
                  > Sent: Sunday, June 01, 2008 9:14 PM
                  >
                  > Does anyone else have trouble finding Alabama records on the Internet
                  > besides me? I have Rootsweb, Ancestry, and here. That's it. I have
                  > generations living all over Alabama. I am basically hitting brick
                  > walls
                  > because I can not find anything online. Local records are the worst.
                  > What
                  > adds to the problem is I live in another state and have no money.
                  >

                  > Joetta

                • Clay Gullatt
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
                    Joetta

                    One of the best resources is the Family History Centers of the LDS. There are usually a Center located not to far from most people. Go to www.familysearch.org and click on family histry centers at the top to find a Center near you and find out what they have available.. You do not need to be a member of the LDS to use the Family History Centers.

                    You can also check at the usgenweb archives project and see what each county has available. Thirty two counties in Alabama have had fires at various dates so in some cases most if not all early records were lost. The ADAH has a map at their website showing which counties have had fires and when.

                    I have been lucky in having some wonderful cousins in Jackson County who have done many lookups and copying old records for me. That may be another resources you would want to explore.

                    Clay Gullatt
                    Mount AIry NC

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 2, 2008
                      While everyone here is being so helpful, I have a small request.

                      I have been unable to contact any of my Hall relatives. (The Hall's of
                      NW Jackson County - Paint Rock Valley)

                      I tracked my great aunt Alta Graham Hall to Scottboro where she died in
                      Feb 1974. Her husband William Harvey Hall died in 1953. I'm hoping
                      an obit might mention what became of her son John Wayne Hall b~1911

                      I would surely appreciate it.

                      Kyle
                    • cagle8185@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                        Are you related to the Halls at Hall's Chapel?

                        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                      • clswagler@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                          Kyle - John Wayne Hall, bn 9/18/1910 and died 5/20/1987 (married to Inna Butler) is buried in the Cedar Hill Cemetery in Scottsboro.

                          Cindy

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                            Cindy
                            This Chuck Boyd. Did you find out any more About Thomas JH Kirby and
                            Belle Boyd Kirby. There was someone who said they had pictures of Thomas Sylas
                            Kirby. But when I ask if they would part with a copy I would pay for it.
                            That was the last I heard from them. I am also looking for burials on Hugh
                            Haswell and Dona Haswell they are buried in Stevenson City cemetery. I you do
                            find them please tell me how to.
                            Thank You
                            Chuck

                            Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                          • Kyle Davenport
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 3, 2008
                              I'm pretty sure I am. Hall Chapel is just down the road from where
                              Willie Hall once lived. I have a photo of the First Baptist Church of
                              Bridgeport, so i know he eventually preached there. I think he comes
                              from a long line of ministers - how old is Hall's Chapel?

                              William T Hall was a Baptist minister and my great-grandfather. He was
                              John Wayne Hall's grandfather.

                              Kyle

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 4, 2008
                                A very big thank you for all of your suggestions! I I might be able to knock down some brick walls.

                                I use to could say "I have family from Birmingham northward". I am beginning to suspect that they loved Alabama so much that they went from state line to state line in all four directions. It would not be a big of a problem if it was just one branch of the family tree.

                                Both of my Grandparents' families came from Alabama. Grandmother's family seemed to love the Tennessee-Alabama state line counties (on both sides) but they did branch out some, in both directions. Grandfather's side came from Georgia, toured Alabama with family settling down along the way, and then my branch came to Tennessee. And then I wind up living less than 10 miles from the Tennessee-Kentucky state line.

                                Again thank you everybody for your help. I know now who to turn to when I have a genealogy question.

                                Joetta

                              • clswagler@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                                  Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book), Thomas is not listed.

                                  I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this would put his date of death prior to that date.

                                  I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), I couldn't even see a stone.

                                  I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.

                                • purplecraze38@charter.net
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                                    Hi Chuck, My daughter and I took pictures of Hugh and Dona Haswell's graves for you last year. I volunteered to take pictures around Jackson County for anybody on Jacksongenealogy. If you need directions to the City Cemetery or another picture I live in Stevenson and I would be happy to help you. If anybody else needs pictures from the Cemeteries in Bridgeport or Stevenson I don't mind taking them. Gina

                                    ---- clswagler@... wrote:
                                    > Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book), Thomas is not listed.
                                    >
                                    > I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this would put his date of death prior to that date.
                                    >
                                    > I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), I couldn't even see a stone.
                                    >
                                    > I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.
                                    >
                                    > Cindy

                                  • nettiebau1952
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                                      Gina and Chuck, I will be in Alabama in late June or early July. I am
                                      working on the Kirbys now and had planned to find and photograph both
                                      of these cemeteries. The only time I have been in the Kirby-Parks
                                      Cemetery on Backbone Ridge, it was hard to get to. They were logging
                                      and using the road that runs by the cemetery as access. We had to
                                      park a ways out and walk in. There are also Kirby graves near the
                                      first hole on the Scottsboro Country Club golf course. My husband
                                      remembers them from when he used to cut crowfoot out of the greens
                                      when he was 12 years old. He says he can find them again. So, I will
                                      be looking for and photographing the Kirby Cemeteries soon, and I
                                      pretty much know where they are. If you can wait a few weeks, I will
                                      be there anyway. I have no idea of Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd
                                      Kirby are buried there.

                                      Annette Bradford

                                    • zrcb@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                                        Cindy
                                        I would appreciate it you would take a picture of Hugh Haswell and Donna
                                        Haswells graves for me. I think their graves are in Stenson City cemetery.

                                        Let know how much they will cost. My address is
                                        Charles Boyd
                                        8617 S 78th Ct
                                        Justice Ill 60458
                                        Thank you Chuck

                                        Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

                                      • purplecraze38@charter.net
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 7, 2008
                                          Hi Annette, Please let me know when you get in town, I would love to see your work on the Bradford's. See ya, Gina

                                        • Joe Burt
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 8, 2008
                                            Do you have a Frank Kirby in your data base? He married Grace Word in
                                            about 1930.
                                            JaNelle

                                            nettiebau1952 wrote:

                                            > Gina and Chuck, I will be in Alabama in late June or early July. I am
                                            > working on the Kirbys now and had planned to find and photograph both
                                            > of these cemeteries. The only time I have been in the Kirby-Parks
                                            > Cemetery on Backbone Ridge, it was hard to get to. They were logging
                                            > and using the road that runs by the cemetery as access. We had to
                                            > park a ways out and walk in. There are also Kirby graves near the
                                            > first hole on the Scottsboro Country Club golf course. My husband
                                            > remembers them from when he used to cut crowfoot out of the greens
                                            > when he was 12 years old. He says he can find them again. So, I will
                                            > be looking for and photographing the Kirby Cemeteries soon, and I
                                            > pretty much know where they are. If you can wait a few weeks, I will
                                            > be there anyway. I have no idea of Thomas J H Kirby and Belle Boyd
                                            > Kirby are buried there.
                                            >
                                            > Annette Bradford
                                            >
                                            > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                            > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>, <purplecraze38@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Hi Chuck, My daughter and I took pictures of Hugh and Dona
                                            > Haswell's graves for you last year. I volunteered to take pictures
                                            > around Jackson County for anybody on Jacksongenealogy. If you need
                                            > directions to the City Cemetery or another picture I live in
                                            > Stevenson and I would be happy to help you. If anybody else needs
                                            > pictures from the Cemeteries in Bridgeport or Stevenson I don't mind
                                            > taking them. Gina
                                            > >
                                            > > ---- clswagler@... wrote:
                                            > > > Chuck - I have no idea as to where Thomas J H Kirby and Belle
                                            > Boyd Kirby are buried. If I would have to guess, I would say that
                                            > Thomas is buried at the Kirby Cemetery on Backbone Ridge in an
                                            > unmarked grave. I know that Clinton and his first wife are buried
                                            > there, so perhaps he buried his son there also. Also, on the old list
                                            > of those buried at this cemetery (Annie Coleman Proctor's book),
                                            > Thomas is not listed.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I am not sure as to when Thomas died. I have a copy of a receipt
                                            > from William D. Parks stating he received money from Clinton Kirby
                                            > against the estate of T J H Kirby, dated June 19th, 1862. So this
                                            > would put his date of death prior to that date.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I have been to the Kirby Cemetery a few times. The first time it
                                            > was very overgrown, and hard to see the stones (especially the
                                            > smaller ones). A couple years after that, J C Clemons and his wife?
                                            > cleaned all the weeds, shrubs, filled in the animal holes, stood up
                                            > the stones that had fallen over, etc. They did a remarkable job. This
                                            > was about 15 years ago, and now the cemetery is just about gone
                                            > because of the logging. The last time I was there (about 3 years
                                            > ago), I couldn't even see a stone.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > I will be going to Scottsboro soon, and if you need me to take a
                                            > photo of the Haswell's at the Stevenson Cemetery, let me know.
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Cindy

                                          • Annette Bradford
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 21, 2008
                                              I have asked around and checked the documents that I have and have found no information on this family. Sorry. Three are still many Kirbys in Scottsboro today. Annette