Re: [jacksongenealogy] W. F. Matthews Family.

  • Clay Gullatt
    Message 1 of 10 , May 30, 2008
      Those families that lived in the Crow Creek Valley which runs from the AL/TN state line down to the TN River, the creek valleys were a major North/South route of travel from the adjacent TN counties South into Jackson Co. The North/South Mtn ranges made East/West travel difficult.

      Clay

      Message 2 of 10 , May 30, 2008
        Although Ms. Eliza did a great job on the Stevenson Story and gave us some great info, there are many families, children etc that are incorrect, especially in the McCrary line. I use this book faithfully as a cross reference and it has been wonderful. However, there is some wrong info throughout the book. Being from Stevenson originally, I have had the book since the day it hit the town and have enjoyed it thoroughly. I am thinking that maybe i should get a new one to put up since this one is getting worn from all of the use.

        I must give Ms Eliza a huge thumbs up as the research she was doing at that time was done with "blood, sweat and tears" as the internet was not available at that time. So please, before anyone gets upset, DO NOT THINK that i am discrediting her hard work in any way! I love the book and as i said, I use it on a regular basis!! However, others do need to know to double check the info on family lines with this book, as well as with any book or other info they use, to make certain the info is accurate.

        As far as the WF Matthews that I have hit a brick wall on, I cannot help but feel that I have missed a link in there somewhere and I am backtracking thru my info at this time to see if I can come across this. After years of doing research, his is one of those times that i feel that I am missing or overlooking something somewhere.

        This William F info that I have is showing him born in 1844, Knight Hollow, Stevenson...married to Sarah E Rash....
        Then, i have WF "Bill" who is married to Elizabeth J Rash....these Williams have the same parents so have to be same person...now i just have to get the correct spouse and trace down the Census records, of which I am having no luck with, to get a better lead on this man....

        THANKS TO EVERYONE for all their help and if this helps anyone with a clearer picture, please keep all your info coming to me. You all are so great!! This is an awesome group.

        Blessings,
        Carol McCrary Woods

        Message 3 of 10 , May 30, 2008
          Carol,
             My mother is a McCrary, desending from James Alfred (or Alford) McCrary bn. 1900 and Dovie Sanders bn. 1904. So any info you have on the McCrary line would be great. I did see there is a 'Rash" that married Almond McCrary but don't know how accurate it is.
          Thanks
          Rick Needham

          I think that there is a typo below (either transcribed from the book,
          or the book contains a typo): Elizabeth Jacoway was a daughter of
          Archibald jacoway and Susanna Gilreath. (Not Summers.) The Jacoways did
          live in the Crow Creek area of Jackson Co. Also, my files have Alfred's
          middle name as "Hardaway."

          Hope that helps,
          anne
          On May 30, 2008, at 8:23 AM, Rick Needham wrote:

          > Hello,
          > What do you mean by 'These are Crow Creek' families? Is this the
          > area in Jackson County they are listed at?
          > Thanks
          > Richard Needham

        • CD Woods
          Message 4 of 10 , May 30, 2008
            Almond is my 3rd great grandfather and he married Mary Rash, daughter of William (Alabama Willie)and Celia (Laxton) Rash. I descend through Samuel, Almond, Harrison, Thomas B Sr, Thomas B Jr and Ottis Wayne Sr...All of my family is still in the Little Coon/Cave Springs community.

            Alfred, would have been a great grandson to Grandpa Almond if I am looking at things correctly. Therefore, we seem to be coming thru the same lines. I will be happy to share what I have with you and would love to have anything that you have. I recently lost a lot of info in a computer crash and am in the process of downloading all new info since my vista comp will not read my XP files. What a pain!!!

            Feel free to email me privately gcwood4@... and I will try to send you what I have in my computer up to this point.

            Great to hear from a cousin!!!! I love making new connections.

          • macatjax
            Message 5 of 10 , May 30, 2008
              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Anne D.P. Johnson
              <annedpjohnson@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I think that there is a typo below (either transcribed from the
              book,
              > or the book contains a typo): Elizabeth Jacoway was a daughter of
              > Archibald jacoway and Susanna Gilreath. (Not Summers.) The Jacoways
              did
              > live in the Crow Creek area of Jackson Co. Also, my files have
              Alfred's
              > middle name as "Hardaway."
              >
              > Hope that helps,
              > anne
              > On May 30, 2008, at 8:23 AM, Rick Needham wrote:
              >
              > > Hello,
              > >   What do you mean by 'These are Crow Creek' families? Is this
              the
              > > area in Jackson County they are listed at?
              > > Thanks
              > > Richard Needham

              I copied this directly from the "book" and there may be errors.

              M. Johnson

            • rgpipes@hughes.net
              Message 6 of 10 , May 30, 2008
                Here is a few of the MATTHEWS that are buried at the Old Baptist cemetery in
                Hollywood, Jackson County, Al. There is also several others.

                JOHN MICHAEL MATTHEWS 11-17-1870 12-28-1915

                RONA, WIFE OF J.M. MATTHEWS 7-10-1872 12-18-1915

                IRENE GOLD MATTHEWS 1902 1926

                PEARL ODELLE MATTHEWS 1900 1928

                LILLIAN NELL, DAUGHTER OF 3-4-1911 3-30-1913
                J.M. & RONA MATTHEWS

                INFANT SON OF J.M. & RONA 8-28-1899 (ONLY DATE)
                MATTHEWS

                L.S. MATTHEWS 8-12-1835 9-8-1891

                HANNAH, WIFE OF L.S. 11-30-1847 12-17-1889
                MATTHEWS

                Z.L., SON OF L.S. & HANNAH 1-14-1888 MAY 1889
                MATTHEWS

                JAMES, SON OF L.S. & BETTIE 11-24-1879 APRIL 1890
                MATTHEWS

                S.C. MATTHEWS 12-9-1889 11-30-1911

                INFANT DAUGHTER OF W.J. & 1-13-1894 (ONLY DATE)
                L.A. MATTHEWS

                WILLIAM JERMIAH MATTHEWS 7-2-1865 7-19-1927

                DELILAH ANN MATTHEWS 7-22-1870 6-9-1958

                These graves are in need of a cleaning very badly. As you can see several
                of these graves are very old graves.

                Checked by AVG.
                7:27 AM

              • cagle8185@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , May 30, 2008
                  Carol,

                  Anna Lee Green Hickman wrote a book about the Green family. Part of my klan
                  came from this group and it list my GGGrandfather as Joe McCreary. The only
                  name I have found, that fits the date, is Joe McCrary born in 1875. My Joe
                  married Mary Riddle and had one girl named Eliza and she married Joe Stovall.
                  Does any of this fit in with your McCrary group?

                  Bill Cagle

                  Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.