9368Re: [jacksongenealogy] Guntersville Reservoir Cemtery File

  • mark thomas
    Jan 30, 2008
      Clay,
      Do you have any info on this Will Peek from NARA?

      clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:
      The only list that I know of was compiled by Will Peek from NARA records and is posted at the Group Home Website. Note that Bellefonte Cem is on the list but was not flooded as it was above the water level being on high ground. I doubt that there is any complete list of the graves that were flooded or the graves that were moved. Many of the graves would have been marked only with stones. I don't think that the probably low paid workers would have made a great effort scrambling around in the heat and mud to get all the bones and move them.

      Personally if it was my family I would just as soon they would have been left were they were first buried. Can you imagine digging up graves from the early to late 1800s when there was no embalming and almost certainly no caskets (unless it was a simple wooden one) and finding anything other than a few bones? Most people back then were washed by the family or neighbors and buried wrapped in a shroud usually just a sheet or quilt.