  • Smiley
    Mar 23, 2007
      ...Hi Cindy, we have all the census' for Arminda & each one of them
      she states either, GA or TN being her place of birth.

      We have all her info forward but not backwards. Daniel, btw was
      Octavia's 1st born son. No one knows who his father was, & there is
      no one to confirm who his father was either. At least no one on the
      ROGERS side of the family, who knows maybe one of the EVANS kin may

      Arminda raised him as her own though, as he was a little slow. Heck,
      on one of the census they lists his occupation as "idiot" & on his
      WWI reg card they listed him as "nearly deaf & dumb." He stayed on
      the land that Arminda received from a land grant for the "General's"
      military service.

      Most of the land was sold off after Arminda passed away, but Samuel &
      her other children left so many acres for Daniel to live on. When
      Daniel died, his address was listed as Flat Rock. I am not for sure
      whereabouts this is though, in relation to the original land.

      Lena Large, one of our cousins told us that he lived his life out as
      a quiet man. Never bothered anyone & raised most of his crops to
      sustain himself. He was a very gentle man and that he cared about
      all the people, family or not, who came into contact with him.

      I'll be in contact with you again real soon though. Maybe between
      the help of those on this board & some of the varied descendants, we
      might actually get the lines all figured out...or at least better
      than what I have now..smile. Until that time, I hope you have an
      awesome day...

      Smiley :-))

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Cynthia Pugliese"
      <capugliese@...> wrote:
      > Smiley,
      > From the information I've seen, Arminda Evans Rogers was born in
      Tennessee to parents who were born in North Carolina and South
      Carolina (father/mother). The Evans family that Octavia (her
      daughter) married into were originally from South Carolina and later
      Georgia, then Alabama. So I don't think Arminda's daughter ,Octavia,
      who married John A. Evans, married a cousin.
      > I found the information at a website Gary Rogers sent me:
      > Here is the information I found:
      > a.. ID: I27072
      > a.. Name: Arminda EVANS
      > a.. Sex: F
      > a.. Birth: MAY 1849 in Tennessee
      > a.. Death: 7 APR 1915
      > a.. Note: She's found in the 1900 census in Dutton, Jackson County,
      Alabama: RODGERS, Arminda (51; b. May 1849); grandson Daniel (13; b.
      Sept. 1886). Arminda was widowed. She was the mother of 7 children, 6
      of whom were living when this census was taken. She was born in
      Tennessee, her father in North Carolina and her mother in South
      Carolina. Daniel was born in Alabama, as were both his parents.
      Arminda was a farmer.
      > However, I do believe that one of my collateral lines (my
      grandmother's oldest sister), did marry a cousin! Her grandparents
      were Warwick Evans and Susan Wooten. She married a Calvin Meredith
      Evans, who we think was the son of David Evans, Warwick's brother!
      I'm not sure what degree cousin that makes them. I found a death
      certificate (or someone looked up the information for me in Texas)
      that stated Calvin's parents were an Evans and a Fawcett. We know
      that David Evans married Phebe Fossett (Danny Evans found that
      information in a DeKalb county book somewhere). We also know that
      one of Bryant Evans' sons (Bryant is one of Warwick's and David's
      uncles) Bethel Quillen Evans lived with a Chapell Q. Fossett and his
      wife, Sarah Evans (Bethel's sister). Calvin Meredith Evans named
      one of his sons after Bethel Quillen, according to that B.Q. Evans
      (who I think is still alive, lives in Texas, but understandably is
      old and has a failing memory, but remembers being told he was named
      after a cousin named Bethel Quillen). Phew!
      > Anyway, that's all I know right now. Every once in a while, I
      pick up another tidbit of information to chip away at that old brick
      > Cindy Pugliese
      > p.s. I'm sending this to all the Dekalb and Jackson county
      websites since the Evans family moved between both counties.

      John A.