8286Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: ROGERS, MEDLOCK, CULPEPPER, YATES, MORTON, SARTIN, MOO...

  • Cynthia Pugliese
    Mar 23, 2007
      Smiley,

      From the information I've seen, Arminda Evans Rogers was born in Tennessee to parents who were born in North Carolina and South Carolina (father/mother). The Evans family that Octavia (her daughter) married into were originally from South Carolina and later Georgia, then Alabama. So I don't think Arminda's daughter ,Octavia, who married John A. Evans, married a cousin.

      I found the information at a website Gary Rogers sent me: http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=irishmurr2&id=I27072

      Here is the information I found:

      a.. ID: I27072
      a.. Name: Arminda EVANS
      a.. Sex: F
      a.. Birth: MAY 1849 in Tennessee
      a.. Death: 7 APR 1915
      a.. Note: She's found in the 1900 census in Dutton, Jackson County, Alabama: RODGERS, Arminda (51; b. May 1849); grandson Daniel (13; b. Sept. 1886). Arminda was widowed. She was the mother of 7 children, 6 of whom were living when this census was taken. She was born in Tennessee, her father in North Carolina and her mother in South Carolina. Daniel was born in Alabama, as were both his parents. Arminda was a farmer.

      However, I do believe that one of my collateral lines (my grandmother's oldest sister), did marry a cousin! Her grandparents were Warwick Evans and Susan Wooten. She married a Calvin Meredith Evans, who we think was the son of David Evans, Warwick's brother! I'm not sure what degree cousin that makes them. I found a death certificate (or someone looked up the information for me in Texas) that stated Calvin's parents were an Evans and a Fawcett. We know that David Evans married Phebe Fossett (Danny Evans found that information in a DeKalb county book somewhere). We also know that one of Bryant Evans' sons (Bryant is one of Warwick's and David's uncles) Bethel Quillen Evans lived with a Chapell Q. Fossett and his wife, Sarah Evans (Bethel's sister). Calvin Meredith Evans named one of his sons after Bethel Quillen, according to that B.Q. Evans (who I think is still alive, lives in Texas, but understandably is old and has a failing memory, but remembers being told he was named after a cousin named Bethel Quillen). Phew!

      Anyway, that's all I know right now. Every once in a while, I pick up another tidbit of information to chip away at that old brick wall!

      Cindy Pugliese

      p.s. I'm sending this to all the Dekalb and Jackson county websites since the Evans family moved between both counties.