8040Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson County Notes of Interest For All Members

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Jan 30, 2007
      Clay, YOU are my hero!!! You make me want to "work my fingers to the bone" to do what I can in an attempt to keep up with your energy, productivity, and enthusiasm .
      For those of you interested in cemetery preservation, the fellow who did most of the Bellefonte re-cleaning work last year (Tom Swafford) and I visited the Bellefonte Cemetery today. Our goal is to stay a few steps ahead of the new vegetation (weeds, poison ivy, "poke sallet", native ground cover, and both small and large bushes) which flourishes in an almost sub-tropical setting during our warmest months.
      Another priority is the installation of more permanent steps and handrail, as the current temporary steps were literally carved out of the 20 foot high embankment. Bellefonte pioneers wisely chose the town's highest elevation for their cemetery.
      As soon as my (concise) Bellefonte narrative is approved by the Alabama Historical Commission, the JCHA will purchase a (roadside) historic marker to be placed near the foot of the cemetery steps.
      JCHA member Betty (Gullatt) Budlong of California (Clay's cousin)
      is ready to purchase a suitable trash disposal container as soon as the JCHA can prepare an anchor site for this much needed item.
      Last year Clay Gullatt's generous donation of $500.00 kept us afloat.
      Every dollar donated is placed in the Bellefonte Cemetery Fund, and we try hard to get as much accomplished as humanly possible with your monetary gifts. Please remember that the JCHA is a non-profit organization, and your charitable gifts are tax deductible.
      Your support of the Jackson County Historical Association and its ongoing preservation efforts is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.
      Ann B. Chambless,