7855RE: [jacksongenealogy] RE: [Jackson genealogy] Hamilton Surname

  • Pam Cain
    Oct 2, 2006
      Hello John,

      Thanks for the information on your line. I will share this with the other
      person researching my group.

      Here is what I have:

      Russell Hamilton was born c 1780 NC or PA. He married Margaret unknown b c
      1793 TN

      Russell is first found on the 1830 census in Jackson Co., AL, and 2nd on the
      1840 Marshall Co.

      Children: (based on census information; could be more)

      1. N. Green b 2-3-1810 NC married Isabella FINLEY on May 4 1836, Marshall
      Co., AL

      2. son b btw 1825-1830

      3. daughter b btw 1825-1830

      4. Gabriel M. (Gabe) b 10-8-1825 AL (married in MS and in TX) (my line)

      5. Daughter b btw 1830-1835

      6. Clark b c 1832 AL (Married in MS to Martha Daniel or Martha Dunnel -
      record found for both, same date, 1852)

      7. Rufus b c 1835 AL - last found on the 1850 census, Itawamba, MS

      There are no daughters on the 1850 MS census, so I it is possible that they
      died, or that they married in AL.

      I do not know if this is all the children. Based on Russell's age, this
      could be a 2nd family for him. Margaret is old enough to be N. Green's
      mother.

      N. Green had his first 4 children in Alabama, and the last two in
      Mississippi. The family moved to Texas before the 1860.

      Children of N. Green Hamilton and Isabella Finley:

      1. James M. b 1837 AL

      2. Wayne F. b 1839 AL

      3. Alvin Finley b 1842 AL

      4. Angus Gustavus b 1844 AL

      5. Rufus H. b 1848 MS

      6. Victor b 1850 MS

      My new Hamilton research contact thinks Gustavus might be a good possibility
      for the father of Russell. This name is repeated in N. Green Hamilton's
      line.

      My ancestor, Gabe, had only one son, named "Bank" - but was listed on one
      census as Burkett H. He continued to go by the name Bank. This might be
      something with the mother's line

      Gabe's children:

      Emma A. (named after first wife who died before he came to TX)

      Lanora V "Nora"

      Dixie b 1862 - don't know if this is real or nickname.

      Winnie Ellen (probably Winnette)

      Burkett H. "Bank"

      Altha

      Mary W. or May

      Fannie F. (my line - is always the last daughter)

      If you look this group up on the Williamson Co., TX census you will find two
      more, Rebecca Martha, aka Mattie and Martha R., and Reuben B. Both children
      are listed as Hamiltons, but both were born prior to Gabe's marriage. I have
      compelling evidence to prove they are PRUITT children from Mary's previous
      marriage.

      Bank Hamilton used family names at least twice that I can tell,

      Russell - after his grandfather

      Bessie Catherine - his mother's middle name

      Willard

      Edgar

      Edith

      Gabe & N. Green both moved to Texas, Gabe in Williamson county (central
      Texas), and N. Green in Wood Co. (northeastern)

      N. Green moved near Gabe by the 1870 census.

      Well, this is my group.

      Keep me in mind if you see common names, or if you find Hamilton females
      with unknown parents.

      Thanks,

      Pam Cain

      From: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>