7696Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: VEACH/STORY

    Aug 3, 2006
      The only other Veachs that were in NE AL in the 1860s, 1870s and 1880s where in Cherokee Co. However Sarah is not listed there in 1860 and no Sarah of her age + or - 5 years anyplace in AL 1850 or 1860. Makes me wonder if she was Native American, many of them avoided the census taker.

      1870 Coffee Town (Township 6 Range 5E, Hillians Store PO) Jackson Co. AL
      House 69 Family 69
      Malinda Story 56 Keeping House AL
      Martha 28 At Home AL
      Harriett 25 At Home AL
      Enoch 23 Farm Laborer AL
      Sarah 22 AL
      James 13 Farm Laborer AL
      Sarah 10 AL
      Martha J. 8 AL
      John E. 2 AL

      Sarah 22 above is Enoch's wife Sarah Veach. Martha J. maybe a Veach also don't know.

      1880 Beat 12 Jackson Co. AL
      House 58 Family 61
      Enoch Story 33 Self Mar. Without Employment Lost leg in War a Foot ??? AL
      AL AL
      Sarah 35 Wife Mar. AL AL ---
      Family 62
      Martha J. Veach 18 Both Single and Mar. marked AL AL AL
      Anomalous b. Dec 1879 Dau AL --- AL
      Family 63
      Mary Story 8 Dau AL AL AL
      James W. Son 7 AL AL AL
      Elizabeth 4 Dau 4 AL AL AL

      These are all in the same House listed but listed as seperate families.

      Enoch Story m. Sarah Veach 22 Mar 1870 Jackson Co AL JOP James Maples OS Page 861
      John T.. Claton m. Marthy J. Veak 14 Feb 1882 Jackson Co. JOP G. B. Caldwell OS Page 100
      Enoch Storey m. Elizabeth Ann Raynes 24 May 1885 Jackson Co. AL MOG P.I. Grees OS Page 485