7295Re: [jacksongenealogy] advice

  • Bob Gilliam
    Jun 15, 2006
      Michaele,
      The Scottsboro library has the newpaper and other records on microfilm.

      SUE LONG <columbu3@...> wrote:
      Hi Michaele
      I have ben unable to get these messages for a while an i just ran a cross your i have been looking for information on the deaths of my ggrandparents Edward an Mandy Carter when they died an where buried also on the same on Thomas an Alice Hass they all lived in around Kimbel an Jasper Tn. enything would be a great help
      thank you
      Sue Long

      Michaele Swiderski <msbs05@...> wrote:
      I'm new to researching in Jackson County and could use some advice. My great grandfather was Andrew Jackson Steel. He was convicted of murder and sent to prison where he died about a year later. Andrew was born Oct 1883 up on Keith Springs MT in Franklin County. He is son of Levi Steel and unknown Oder. On 1930 census He is living in jackson County with sons George and James and their children.

      1930 census Trenton, Jackson, Alabama
      Andrew 48, manager sawmill, TN, TN, TN
      Ida 49, AL, TN, AL
      George 26, laborer sawmill, AL, TN, AL (son)
      Ethel 7, AL, AL, AL (granddaughter)
      Thomas 6, AL, AL, AL (grandson)
      James L. 21,TN, TN,TN (son)
      Mattie B. Kindred 21,TN, TN, TN (daughter)
      Mildred 2,TN, TN, TN (granddaughter)

      I don't know exactly when murder occurred, but my father and aunt remember going to funeral while small children. My aunt was born in 1938 and my father in 1935. For them to remember the event I'm guessing my aunt had to be at least 4 or 5 years old which puts in around 1943. Andrew died in prison so there is surely a death certificate, but I don't know how to search for it without a date. I live in Chattanooga and can search microfilms at the library here by year and county and find records, but I don't know where to do that kind of searching in AL. I don't know where he went to prison, so don't know what county he would have died in. He is buried at Keith Springs Mountian, Franklin County TN, but there is no marker for him or his first wife Emma who is supposed to be beside him. I contacted the man who keeps the records and he met us at the cemetery. They had no record of the year he was buried and the lot he was supposed to be in has the marker for his son George on it,
      so I wasn't able to learn anything there. I went to Scotsboro court house and they had a record of him being in court in 1939, but those records were missing and I think it was too early to be the murder case. I searched newspapers around the date, but came up with nothing. I would think a murder case would make the paper. Does anyone have any advice on how I could find his prison record, death cert, or newspaper accounts. I don't mind spending hours searching if I just had an idea where I should go. I'm hoping his death cert. might give the name of his mother. All I have on her is the last name Oder (from brother James Valentine Steele's death cert.) and that she was from Missouri from the census records. Andrew's second wife was named Ida and she lived long after Andrew, but no one remebers where she is buried. She was a step-mom to my grandfather, but she raised him since he was 5 so really like a mom. My father said they visited her often and they've told me many
      stories of her, but they don't know where her funeral was and I can't find her on any cemetery listings in Jackson. Would appreciate any help, advice, thoughts or ideas on how to continue my search. Also I have access to TN death certs and would be happy to help someone else if they need a search done.

      Thanks Michaele