7095Re: advice

  • frances_lambert2000
    May 7, 2006
      In Jackson county I would go to the Scottsboro Library they have old
      news papers on micro film and books that list death anouncements and
      lets you know which paper it is in. if he died in Jackson maybe you
      can find it that way

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Michaele Swiderski"
      <msbs05@...> wrote:
      > I'm new to researching in Jackson County and could use some advice.
      My great grandfather was Andrew Jackson Steel. He was convicted of
      murder and sent to prison where he died about a year later. Andrew
      was born Oct 1883 up on Keith Springs MT in Franklin County. He is
      son of Levi Steel and unknown Oder. On 1930 census He is living in
      jackson County with sons George and James and their children.
      > 1930 census Trenton, Jackson, Alabama
      > Andrew 48, manager sawmill, TN, TN, TN
      > Ida 49, AL, TN, AL
      > George 26, laborer sawmill, AL, TN, AL (son)
      > Ethel 7, AL, AL, AL (granddaughter)
      > Thomas 6, AL, AL, AL (grandson)
      > James L. 21,TN, TN,TN (son)
      > Mattie B. Kindred 21,TN, TN, TN (daughter)
      > Mildred 2,TN, TN, TN (granddaughter)
      > I don't know exactly when murder occurred, but my father and aunt
      remember going to funeral while small children. My aunt was born in
      1938 and my father in 1935. For them to remember the event I'm
      guessing my aunt had to be at least 4 or 5 years old which puts in
      around 1943. Andrew died in prison so there is surely a death
      certificate, but I don't know how to search for it without a date. I
      live in Chattanooga and can search microfilms at the library here by
      year and county and find records, but I don't know where to do that
      kind of searching in AL. I don't know where he went to prison, so
      don't know what county he would have died in. He is buried at Keith
      Springs Mountian, Franklin County TN, but there is no marker for him
      or his first wife Emma who is supposed to be beside him. I contacted
      the man who keeps the records and he met us at the cemetery. They had
      no record of the year he was buried and the lot he was supposed to be
      in has the marker for his son George on it, so I wasn't able to learn
      anything there. I went to Scotsboro court house and they had a record
      of him being in court in 1939, but those records were missing and I
      think it was too early to be the murder case. I searched newspapers
      around the date, but came up with nothing. I would think a murder
      case would make the paper. Does anyone have any advice on how I could
      find his prison record, death cert, or newspaper accounts. I don't
      mind spending hours searching if I just had an idea where I should
      go. I'm hoping his death cert. might give the name of his mother. All
      I have on her is the last name Oder (from brother James Valentine
      Steele's death cert.) and that she was from Missouri from the census
      records. Andrew's second wife was named Ida and she lived long after
      Andrew, but no one remebers where she is buried. She was a step-mom
      to my grandfather, but she raised him since he was 5 so really like a
      mom. My father said they visited her often and they've told me many
      stories of her, but they don't know where her funeral was and I can't
      find her on any cemetery listings in Jackson. Would appreciate any
      help, advice, thoughts or ideas on how to continue my search. Also I
      have access to TN death certs and would be happy to help someone else
      if they need a search done.