2175Judge W. L. Stephens

  • malbuff@aol.com
    Dec 30, 2002
      I am looking for any information anyone might have on Judge William.Larkin
      Stephens, who was appointed to the City Court of Bridgeport on March 2, 1893,
      by Gov Jones. (See page 172 of Mr Kennamer's History of Jackson County.)

      Judge Stephens (1868-1930?) was my great-grandfather and a grandson of David
      Larkin jnr, the founder of Larkinsville. He relocated to Washington, D.C.,
      in the early 20th century, where he continued to be known as 'Judge' despite
      not serving on any bench.

      A William L. Stevens (sic), age 12, is listed in the 1880 census for
      Larkinsville, living in the household of William Rutledge Larkin, his uncle.
      One Alex H Stevens (sic), age 50, in the same household, is listed as W.R.
      Larkin's brother-in-law.

      I am quite sure this W.L..Stevens is my great-grandfather and that the census
      taker's spelling is incorrect. I am not at all sure about this Alex H Stevens
      and his relationship to my family or anyone else. I have little or no
      information beyond this.

      Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I look forward to
      visiting Jackson County this year as part of my genealogy research, and hope
      perhaps to meet some of you. I trust everyone had a blessed Christmas, and
      wish all of you a happy new year.

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia