2112RE: [jacksongenealogy] Caves

  • Richard Matthews
    Nov 21, 2002
      Since we are speaking of local caves, I thought you might like to see the
      entrance to our most famous local cave, Cathedral Caverns near Woodville.
      See http://fly.hiwaay.net/~woodplb/ent.htm This cave has a rich history.
      Bill Monroe, the famous bluegrass player, held concerts in its mouth at one
      time.

      Some may say this is not on subject for our genealogy list but local
      landmarks are on subject since most of our ancestors used landmarks as
      reference for locations of cemeteries and such. They did not have the luxury
      of road numbers and street signs. Many of them chose to build near caves and
      the cool springs that ran out of some of them. My Mother and Dad talked of
      storing milk in the stream at a cave mouth during the warm months to make it
      last longer. The caves also were gathering places for picnics and gatherings
      during the hot summer months since the coolness was a special treat in the
      days before air conditioning.

      Richard
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic