16483Re: [jacksongenealogy] Thomas Carpenter

  • Roger Burbank
    Apr 18, 2014
      Free dinner who figures it out.  It has been bugging me for a long time.  I sent it to Charlie also.  Roger

      From: Ginny Young <giniy@...>
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 7:44 PM
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Thomas Carpenter

      Hi Roger,

      Yes you did send me the picture. The Tucker photo that you sent would not have been Jane Tucker considering that she was born circa 1760 or so. Willis Carpenter was born 1783 and died 1877 according to family hisotry. I never have figured out who the Tucker is in the photo.

      Ginny

      From: giniy@...
      Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 20:50:35 -0500
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Little Cove Cemetery

      There is a Little Cove Road close to Gurley in Madison County. It runs through the Hampton Cove neighborhood now. On this road is Jenkins Cemetery, which is an old cemetery in the area. Could this be the cemetery in question?  A neighborhood has built up around the cemetery, but it still rests in a clump of trees there in the middle of all those houses. For years, it could be accessed from Little Cove Road, but now to get to it, you have to drive into the neighborhood and go in the back of the cemetery. I'm sorry but I don't know the neighborhood name.  I grew up in New Hope but have lived in Texas for many years. One of the families buried in the cemetery is the Childress family, and Hugh Martin Childress was the sweetheart of my g-grandmother, Hester Chandler. He was killed in the Battle of Baton Rouge on August 5, 1862, and Hester married Thomas Carpenter in 1863. I had to search for the cemetery about 12 years ago and then again 2 years ago.

      Best,
      Ginny