16433RE: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson County in 1857- was there an epidemic of some kind?

  • JL Hamilton
    Feb 23, 2014

      That is a great story.

      From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ann
      Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:23 PM
      To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Jackson County in 1857- was there an epidemic of some kind?

      There was a scarlet fever epidemic in Jackson county in and around 1857.  I know of grave markers in several cemeteries for children/young adults whose ages range from 1 to 20.  My own family was affected by the death of two little girls.  45 years later, two more little girls in this family dressed up in clothes from an old trunk that still contained clothing of the two who died in either 1856 or 1857, and the girls who were playing dress-up in the old clothes also contracted scarlet fever but survived to tell of their childhood disease.   One was my grandmother.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic