16231Re: DNA

  • waccess@bellsouth.net
    Sep 22, 2013
      I have had matches for the Full Sequence mtDNA testing, but in order to figure out who is who and what relation at what generation with mtDNA, we have to have documentation to match. With y-DNA tests, it seems to be easier. Perhaps that's because the last name is generally the same throughout the generations, but with women the name changes every generation. Of course, we do have two men who don't have the same last name, but do match very closely at the 111-marker test. We think this could be because of a legal or casual adoption, that two brothers took different surnames back when people were choosing their last names (900-1200 A.D.), or hanky panky. Based on documentation, we know that this happened before the late 1700s.

      The autosomal DNA testing is going to be similar to the mtDNA. It just doesn't go back as many generations. It will show matches, but then we have to figure out HOW we match through documentation. In addition, it will estimate the relationship, but that can be off by a generation or two. For example, my first cousin shows as a second cousin, and we KNOW that she's a first cousin.

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Davenport wrote:

      > I suspect Karl is not so much interested in the mutation rate as he is
      > to the utility of the mtDNA tests. The answer is a couple questions
      > down from the one Christine links to. (6. How many generations back
      > does mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) testing trace?
      > ) Mutations
      > happen really, really slowly, even in the HVR1&2 test (Hyper-Variable
      > Regions) that FamilyTreeDNA offers. You could conceivably test a
      > genealogy question with the Full mtDNA test, but that is expensive. My
      > experience, and from what I have heard, is that most people do not even
      > have a match at the HVR1&2 level.
      >

      > On 09/21/2013 02:09 AM, Chris Roberts wrote:
      > >

      > > HI Karl,
      > >
      > > Yes, Karl estimates have been made by the scientific community, but it
      > > depends on which area of the mitochondria. The control region has a
      > > faster mutation rate and reflects newer mutations, thus it is more
      > > likely to be useful for genealogical purposes. The coding region
      > > mutates slower and is the region used to determine haplogroups
      > > (http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=10#2137.) ...

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic