16225Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Vann Connections

  • Roger Burbank
    Sep 21, 2013
      I come down a different Vann family.  I am working on trying to figure out who your Vanns are.  I come down Thomas Van Sr. wife Ann. His son Thomas Van Jr. wife Margaret Buchanan. Their daughter Nancy D. Vann married George W. Williams. Their daughter Martha Ann Williams married Calvin Walker Mccutchen.  Calvin's sister Elizabeth Married  Azariah Vann, Nancy's uncle. Edward Vann another uncle married them.  These Vanns are well documented with a long line.  Wills and probate were a really big help.  I took over 700 digital photos of docs in Huntsville AL. records room.  I have all the books on the Vanns, so I am hoping to figure out your line.  Roger

      From: David Malbuff
      To: "jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com"
      Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:15 AM
      Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Vann Connections

      I guess I'll chime in here... like Roger, Susan, and Martha I descend directly from Josiah Stephens and Nancy Vann.

      How many sons did they have anyway? I have record of (4), but Martha's ancestor Joseph Goodlow Stephens is a new one for me.

      Our branch descends from John B Stephens (10/3/1797-10/5/1887) who married Margaret Elizabeth Snodgrass (sister of "THE" Bellefonte Snodgrasses, 1800-ca.1880).

      They went to Texas with most of their children, even the grown ones, in the 1850s. JBS is buried in the Edwards cemetery at Mt Pleasant, Texas. His grandson was a county sheriff and his great-grandson was a wildcat oilman who hit the Talco strike in 1935. All of them were named John B Stephens.  If you are descended from Josiah Stephens and Nancy Vann, you have lots of cousins in east Texas.

      JBS' eldest son Absolom stayed in Jackson county, fought in his cousin Col. Snodgrass' regiment (55th Ala.), and after the war married Priscilla Larkin, daughter of David Larkin. She died following the birth of their son, William Larkin Stephens, my great-grandfather.  WLS, after serving as a judge in Bridgeport, left Alabama in 1899 and settled in Washington DC.

      The "Stephens/Stevens" spelling issue dates back to the English civil war and was a major bone of contention for my great-grandfather. If he received mail addressed to " Wm. Stevens" he'd send it back, I imagine even of there was a check inside.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia

      4.1. Re: Vann Connections
          Posted by: "Bbrock1945" bbrock1945@...
          Date: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 pm ((PDT))

      Hello
      Anyone know of a JESSE VANN?  Am interested in Jesse and any connection to a JOHN-CHRISTIAN/CHRISTINA WILLIAMS in 1820-1850 JA.Co. AL.

      Thank you.

      Brenda

          Date: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:20 pm ((PDT))

      Josiah Stephens (1765-1848)    My 4G Grandfather
      +Nancy Vann (1772-1857)

      William H Stephens (1799-1858)  My 3G Grandfather
      + Sarah Sally Phillips (1798-1849)

      Miles Vann Stephens (1831-1923)  My 2G Grandfather
      + Susan A Roden (1844-1923)
      Felix Marion Stephens (1868-1932)  My Great Grandfather
      + Ann Elizabeth Caldwell (1871-1934)
      Mose Stephens (1895-1931)  My Grandfather
      + Clarice Oleta Brown (1906-1945) m. Feb 14 1925 in Dallas, TX
      Mose & Oleta's children:
      Robert Wheeler Stephens (1926-1990)
      Herrin Stephens (1927-1995)
      James Henry Stephens (1929-2011)
      Anita Louise Stephens (1931-1987)    My Mother

      When Mose died in 1931, Oleta was left with 4 children to raise.  Oleta died in 1945 from a sudden stroke.  Robert Wheeler was grown, but Herrin, James and Anita were taken in by relatives.

      Arthur M (Mose' Brother) and Zilliah Campbell Stephens (they never had children of their own) took in Herrin and Anita.
      Nydia Ione Stephens  (Mose' Sister)
      + Jess Roseberry (1906-1989) - Nydia and Jess took in James.  As far as I know, Nydia and Jess never had children of their own either.

      On Sep 19, 2013, at 2:08 PM, "CULBERSON, SUSAN" <sc1698@...sc1698@...>> wrote:

      Roger,

      You said one of your family lines are the Vanns.

      My connection:
      Nancy Vann (1772-1857) - My 4G Grandmother
      m. Josiah Stephens (1765-1848) My 4G Grandfather

      Their son:  William H Stephens (1799-1858) m. (2nd wife) Sarah-Sally Phillips (1798-1849).  They are listed in the 1850 Census in District 21, Jackson, AL.

      Are you related to this line?  I would appreciate any information for the Vann or Stephens line.

      Messages in this topic (31)

      Thank you for being a member of the Jackson County, Alabama genealogy group.God bless America

      <*> Your email settings:
          Digest Email  | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)